Intercooler and half -- headers

Big Kahuna

I have a tame 13.5 second 86 with 3' exhaust, Dynamax mufflers and a "test pipe".

I've resisted headers as I hate jacking with loose headers bolts (I can't even make the Stage 8 locks work well) and the potential problem with emmissions (I have a 3' cat for that time of the year).

My questions are:

How much ET are headers worth, do they do two into one or are they pure duals, and what are the best street headers?

Does anyone run those "Intercooler and a Half" larger Intercoolers? Are they worth the $695 + old Intercooler, + labor?

Headers are not worth it on a 13 sec car or even 12-to11 sec car. If the stockers are cracked then go ahead and get them welded otherwise there is a lot to be gained else where. What are the goals for this car timeslip wise? The bigger stock location intercoolers can make a huge difference. My dad is currently looking into the thunder fabrications unit. They are worth the money. Do you have a 3" downpipe eliminating the elbow on the turbo yet? Your car as is right now has potential to push a high 12 with the ETs and 20 psi or so.

I do have the down pipe.

Just as well on the headers.

What's the larger stock location Intercooler worth in ET gains?

The goal is to have a stock looking (in and out) GN, that is streetable, -- but will dependably crank out lows 12s or high 11s on Street Slicks without hurting the car.

Am I a dreamer?

ET gain is dependant on boost level, you can see up to .2-3 tenths or aproximatly 20-30 hp. If you want reliable low 12s there are different ways of going about it. Some will try and push the stock stuff to those levels with lots of timing and boost, but if i was gonna build a reliable low 12 sec car, i would invest in a ta49-ta60, 50# injectors with matching chip, big stock location intercooler. Before you do anything though, do you know that the fuel pump has been upgraded and hotwired? These cars are on the edge with a factory fuel pump. also getting to know the scan tool readings and know what you are looking for is very important, and can make the difference between a low 13 sec money pit or a high 11 sec screamer.

I just got off the phone with Puddin. First -- I was wrong on the 3" stainless down pipe. I don't have it. I do have a new fuel pump and adjustable regulator.

Here's the 2 stage plan we've come up with.

Phase One (Mid 12s)

1. Get my Chip back that jacks up the timing. I'll pop it in at the track when I'm burning C16 and pop it back out for 93.

2. Get a trans cooler on the car to handle the harder launches I need for better 60'

3. Get a pillar mounted Boost and EGT gauge so I can leave on boost and monitor exhaust heat/knock

4. Replace the Rear wheel cylinders with bigger units to hold the car at the line for the boost I need.

5. Change the vacuum lines to manually adjust the amount of Turbo with an adjustable rod to get around 20 pounds

Phase Two: (mid 11s)

1. Bigger Turbo

2. Bigger Injectors (I already have the fuel pump and regulator to handle it

3. 3500 Art Carr (his new company -- not the one that has his name) non-lock up TC. It takes me from the 1700 stock 12" to a 3500 billet 9"

4. Stock location Intercooler and a half to better cool the heat from a larger Turbo

5. 3" Stainless down pipe for less back pressure

Opinions?

Sounds pretty good to me, and maybe sooner or later when you get the car figured out you might consider an alky kit so you can almost always be in kill mode. Trust me when you run 23 psi or so and have to go back to 15-16 psi , its a big let down:D

I know -- I have two 8 second bracket cars (68 Roadrunner and 65 Coronet) and a 10 second A/NSS car (540 with Jerico 4-speed). The two Coronets are at Texas Thunder getting freshen up and the Roadrunner is getting ready to be sold. That leaves me with the GN (which I don't want to make into a racecar) and my son's 72 Demon (12 second) to play with at the track for the last month. I feel like screaming "Hya Mule" when racing either. Both fun cars -- but once you get 10 and below, the excitement of going 11-13 is gone.