Intercooled conversion options

BeastV6

It'd be cool if it ran!!
Well, I hear alot about this Jay guy from Turbo Motion, and I see how pleased everyone is with his kits, but I can't find much info on the kits themselves. What do they include? Price range? From what I have gathered there are at least a couple different kits, and if I'm not mistaken, one of them relocates the turbo to the front? Does the kit include all the mounting hardware required for this relocation?
I also see that I can swap various parts from an intercooled Buick to relocate my turbo and intercool it. What parts are required for this? Are there any other options for intercooling a hot-air? Thanks :)

intercooler conversion options

I dont belive Jay made a kit that relocated the turbo but the V2 reclocks the cpmpressor outlet so that you can use an86/87 intercooler. It also includes a modified intake manifold with the throttle body up front ala 86/87. Got a kit sittin in garage not sure if i'm gonna use it thou.
Dale

ive seen a couple people here have those ford ic's. do they work pretty well? how much do they cost? ive read about them on other sites but haven't seen any prices.

I know Matt cool84 has one, it took alot of mod to the core support but he got it in. i think he had to take his high beam headlight out too but i think somepeople got it in without doin that. The thing is huge and the price aint bad either cant remeber wut it cost but i think it was under 300 bucks from the dealer.
Dale

Re: intercooler conversion options

Originally posted by Stealthfxxr
I dont belive Jay made a kit that relocated the turbo but the V2 reclocks the cpmpressor outlet so that you can use an86/87 intercooler. It also includes a modified intake manifold with the throttle body up front ala 86/87. Got a kit sittin in garage not sure if i'm gonna use it thou.
Dale

If the throttle body is relocated to the front, could a few (maybe more than a few) custom brackets and whatnot relocate the turbo to the front as well? I just don't like the idea of the long pipe crossing the engine bay between the turbo and the intercooler. Just doesn't seem like it could make as much power that way.

If you want to move the turbo to the front you need to do the whole 86-87 conversion. There's just too much in the way on the hotairs not to mention it's not necessary to move it. Pipe length really doesn't make a difference. I have a pretty long run of 3" IC plumbing on my Ford IC and there's absolutely no difference in lag either. I paid $275 from the dealer for a new one. I finally got the highbeams to fit but it was close. The plumbing was very easy and cheap to make but a BOV would be very nice now. It makes one heck of a snort with even a couple psi boost when I let off the gas. For ~$400 you can have more intercooler than you'll ever need if you don't mind doing a little work. Also, to work properly and have good manners you must move the TB to the pressure side as close to the intake manifold as possible.

Cool84's right

To relocate the turbo like the 86/7's have it, it requires a lot of work. It would be easier to just do a complete motor swap to an intercooled one. On the 87/s, the alt and the a/c comp are loacted on the drivers side. you would have to get the brackets, pulley's, wires and such to make that work. not to mention you will have to get a new passanger side header, and downpipe, drill a hole in the front of the block for the turbo oil return line, and so on and so forth. It requires a lot of time, patience, and money. The TM kit eliminates having to do all of this, and drivability will be just like an 86/7 intercooled car, infact even better with the custom intake that comes with the kit. There are many different roads to go down with these cars. you just have to find that right one for you.

Hey Matt got your car together yet? I been to busy to get up that way to check it out.

So with the TM kit I could still make the kinda power made by the 86/87s? Only downside I see now is that the turbo size will be limitted by the clearance with the hood. I don't suppose there's much of a remedy for that. What's the price range on the TM kits?
Also about the Ford IC... What does it take to fit it in there? I don't want to "chop up" the car. I want to be able to put it back to as close to factory as I can get it, if I feel compelled to sell (not likely any time soon). Out of curiousity, what vehicle does this come from?

Dont know if Jay is makin anymore, i was lucky to get one before his shop was broken into and alot of part and buck of his tools were stolen. I thinki paid about $1200 as parts of a group purchase, dont thinki'm gonna have time to instsall it thou leaving for Korea soon

From what ive seen and heard form other guys on here, they have very little or no problems using a big turbo, either Ta or even TE series.Ive heard guys run big turbo's with this kit, and have run some impressive numbers, breaking into low 12's and even 11's. I guess it all depends on how fast you want your car. But there are a lot of other factors that come into play when modding these cars. No point in going overkill on a huge turbo with a stock motor, and no other basic go fast mods. Tuning is the key with these cars. And they have guys in here who have run low 13's and even 12's with the stock turbo and no intercooler. So the possibilties are endless.

Well I'm in the process of a total rebuild. I want to build the bottom end as solid as possible. How fas to I want it? I want low 11s (or better), but I'm beginning to doubt the possibility of it with this engine.