Intake prep

Have you tried using a swivel socket on it yet? That's what I've always used in tight spots, along with an air ratchet to get it out.

Yep I use a 3/8" universal too, it the only way on my combo! :eek: I have to call it that too I can't call it a swivel because that is an item in my fishing tackle, and you can chain your dog up with one. but that's me, lol :D

LOL Not a swivel on a socket but a swivel built onto a socket. It's a little shorter so it'll fit in some places better.

The swivel wouldn't work for me.. it was too long.. the only thing I can think of is a deep well ball socket, they are much shorter but finding a deep well in one of those is almost impossible. I was told that the dealership drilled holes in the wheel well to get at them.
Almost went outside today to do some work..40 degrees...heat wave..didn't last long ...snow on Monday
Will the stock ignition work on this ?? Was thinking about the MSD box but the price on them seems to go up every other month.. I have 2 distributors now, the orginal HEI no vac, and an older one HEI with vac. Should I use the one with no vac advance? Would I really have to retard this thing durning boost or can some cars run without retarding the ignition??

i hate to change spark plugs; i have to remove the down pipe. i also have a hybrid car so i guess thats what i have to do.

i THNK we are talking about the same thing here, I just call it a ball socket, at present time I only have short sockets. I guess I will have to invest in a deep well one just for the plug.

Thanks a million for that link !! Those bad boys go for $363. at Summit racing.. will keep an eye on it and see how high the bidding goes..

Aj got one not to long ago for less than $300. I've found what I'm looking for and it's gonna be less than $150 if no one bids on it. I don't think they know what it is so no one has yet.

Break down and get the socket with the swivel on it. That will save you more time on most jobs. I've been using one for years and if I didn't have one it would take much longer.

I guess I will have to get a set of them..they are great. Hoping it gets a little warm tormorrow, just itching to clean up that manifold I have. Have a commerical degreaser water based, except it is concentrated and I have no directions on how much to dilute it.. Will experiment with a 50 50 mix with water just in an ounce and see how it works with a tooth brush. Too bad I wasn't still working at Lockheed, I could hand it off as a "G" job and have the guys there knock the job out for me. I actually had a custom crossram manifold made there out of aluminum sheet. It was a thing of beauty..good old days...:cool:

Thanks for the info !! One stupid question....is there an easy way to get that back spark plug on the Passenger side ??? Always end up using an open end wrench and olny being to turn it 1/4 inch at a time. Really thinking of cutting a hole in that Wheelwell..

I cut a hole in the wheel well.

I sold it about 5 years ago with the Micky Thompson Cross Ram manifold for about $450. This unit I made spanded across the two quads and made it a single quad in the middle, quite a contraption, Don't have any photos of it anymore, some dude in California bought it from E-Bay said he collects unusual pieces; It was for a old 389 cu. in. Pontiac engine that was bored and stroked to 468 cubes, Big problem with that motor was I was one of the first ones to buy the new Jahns Forged pistons and nobody seemed to know what the piston to wall clearance was, so it was set up way too tight, then got involved with other stuff and ended selling the 74 Trans Am I had it in for dirt cheap since I was living in an apartment at the time: and needed reiable transprotation...ended up getting a Mazda station wagon that got 30MPG with no tune up just to commute to my job.

Well guys I know you all like photos...heres 3 if they come through...The water outlet passage on this manifold was kind of wiped, threw some JB weld on it and will see what happenes...degreased it first and wired the death out of it to get all the minerals too... On the 3 photo you see the intake runner, note the small post in it, I think this was where they filled the mold with aluminum at the pour.., called a sprue, used in the lost wax process. Will have to grind down these babies, man its like a dead cat laying in the middle of the road. Tried the water based degreaser, not too hot, ended up shooting it with a few cans of carb cleaner. Will get the rest off when I sand blast it, Was getting ready to to duct tape all the openings when I caught this stuff, Also noticed there is a small lip on every runner almost like being held up against the head squashed out the metal to the opening of the runner...strange.. will take care of that when match the ports with the head. Really missing that Safety Kleen degreaser about now...That stuff must be really through the roof now in cost... will have to call them when I set up my parts washer soon..

Attachments

• water inlet bo boo.jpg
    water inlet bo boo.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 163
  • water inlet  repair.jpg
    water inlet repair.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 150
  • intake post bo boo.jpg
    intake post bo boo.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 160
OOOPs !! posted the same photo 2 times here is the one I wanted :cool:

Attachments

• water passage malfunction.jpg
    water passage malfunction.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 120
That's rough Vince. I'd see about having it welded myself. If you find a shop that does cold tank it will look much better but the JB Weld probibly won't survive. Don't port the intake until you have the heads on the engine. Then you drill a 1/8" hole just barely through into the head while the intake is mounted. This will allow you to line up the gasket so you can match everything up better. There's a thread in one of the sticky sections that shows how to do it. Very good idea so you can make sure everything is lined up right.

I have this magic welding rod if this doesn't work..really, you just heat up the area with a butane tourch then apply this rod like solder. ( Some kind of a new alloy from what I heard) Its suppose to be as strong as the cast aluminum...never tried it but I watched it done at a welding show once.
The heads are still on the motor, I was thinking of trimming the gasket to match the heads ( they are allready stuck on) with a razor then putting a blue dye like dykem or even a oil paint on the gasket, then bolting down the intake. then removing it and grind down to match the gasket..
I guess I will find out how good this JB Weld is ...if it chips off while I am sanding it I will remove it and kick it up a notch

Thanks a million for that link !! There was a ton of worthwhile info there... I guess I will think twice about sand blasting the manifold..What I am thinking now is waltnut shells...but I would need a blast cabnite for that so I could reclaim them. Have to see if anybody in the area does this stuff.. Have to pick up some of those long shaft burring wheels. :smile:

You can blast it but it has to be in a cabinet and use clean aluminum oxide. It won't stay in the metal and will do what you want. If you were closer I'd say come over and use mine, but you'd need to buy some clean media for it. Got the info from Ronnie and Al. Ronnie does it for a living so he knows what he's talking about.