intake gasket no silicone?

justamatt

Can any one tell me why were not supposed to put silicone across the entire mating surface of the vally pan style intake gasket??

Can any one tell me why were not supposed to put silicone across the entire mating surface of the vally pan style intake gasket??

Probably because most people could not get it on there consistently across the whole thing. I have still seen folks do it, but you have to wait until the silicone gets a "skin" on it and doesn't stick to your finger. Then set the intake on and torque. By no means is this "the way" I am sure others have other experience with it. I actually prefer to use the rubber gaskets, putting silicone in the corners, and even putting some gorrilla snot on the rubbers to make sure they seal. (Gorilla snot being weatherstrip adhesive)

Use the Right Stuff with the rubber ends. Big blob in each of the 4 corners & a small bead across entire length of the rubber gasket as well. There will be no leaks unless something is really warped or was planed too much to make it not seal.

Use the Right Stuff with the rubber ends. Big blob in each of the 4 corners & a small bead across entire length of the rubber gasket as well. There will be no leaks unless something is really warped or was planed too much to make it not seal.

Good call! They need to change their ads on the tubes to "The Good Stuff: not just for girdles anymore". :biggrin:

On the ends and where the water passages are you can use silicone but if you use it where air/fuel mix flows the fuel will turn the silicone into goo that can screw something up.

so will the right stuff work with fuel and alky?

The only thing I've ever found that you can use on the head/intake area is copper coat. The drawback to it is when you take the intake off you have to use a prybar.

It doesn't matter if it's ultra black or Right Stuff, if it's silicone it will not hold up to fuel for long.

Like Charlie says; and the box usually has "Note: Not recommended for
parts in contact with gasoline." on it.

With the intake gasket they usually supply you with two rubber strips to seal the front and back of the block. In the corners where the block, intake, and heads come together it is an area that is prone to leaking. I have always put some Permatex in the corners and then installed the rubber strip for a tight seal. Never used anything on the mating surfaces between the intake and heads.

The only diff between High Tack and Copper coat is the copper. The copper coat has a higher temp rating and costs about the same. The glue is the same, they just add copper to it so it works a little better.