intake bolts...or lack there of.

newtownhood

Car Audio and Electronics guy.
So my 15yr project is going back together. After my engine has been apart at multiple locations and touched by multiple builders a few parts are missing. Minor things, but still missing. Plus I really don't know what I'm looking for (i'm sure a couple are studs for brackets?) or the proper order. SOOOOO. does anyone have pics or a diagram of what I need? Or maybe somebody wants to sell a stock set since they upgraded to a different intake or maybe ARP? '86 Grand National of course.

I think you're in heap-big trouble Boy!!! Just kidding. PM me your addy and I'll try and make a copy of a parts blow-up w/list and send it to you.

two of the bolts have stud end but they really arent needed as one is for the egr solenoid bracket(m8 x 1.25 stud end ) and the other for the engine hook (m10x1.5 stud end)
to attach intake to heads there are 10 3/8-16 bolts by 1.5" (listed in parts book as 37mm) available at any hardware store

Last edited:
IF you are missing intake bolts a good source is a junkyard 3.8 or 3800 late 80-90;s Buick FWD car. They are nearly the same. You may have to pull from 2 cars to get the number/type you need. I've done this since the factory intake bolts are pretty good quality.

thanx for all the tips and suggestions! It's a long story but the whole project is giving me Angina since it's been SO long! It's my own fault, and the whole dying engine/trans builders! Seriously, both of my 1st engine and trans builders died while doing the jobs. Now I have a fully built engine done by Lorenzos Fast flow, and an Art Carr trans...Then I'm onto the real fun picking out a turbo( is it precision that makes the 600hp "stealth" turbo that will run under a stock cover?) I'm going with a stock location intercooler. AND I'm doing a full "back to black" since the black metallic jaguar paint I chose back in 2000 (when I was 20) seemed like such a good idea......

thanx for all the tips and suggestions! It's a long story but the whole project is giving me Angina since it's been SO long! It's my own fault, and the whole dying engine/trans builders! Seriously, both of my 1st engine and trans builders died while doing the jobs. Now I have a fully built engine done by Lorenzos Fast flow, and an Art Carr trans...Then I'm onto the real fun picking out a turbo( is it precision that makes the 600hp "stealth" turbo that will run under a stock cover?) I'm going with a stock location intercooler. AND I'm doing a full "back to black" since the black metallic jaguar paint I chose back in 2000 (when I was 20) seemed like such a good idea......
Sorry to hear about those builders. Give Bison a holler, he can spec you out a turbo compatible w/your combo.

This might help you if you lay out the bolts you have and match them up to this picture. Obviously this isn't the stock bolts but you can use my stainless kit as scale and get an idea of what goes where...

intake-manifold-69pc-8000-jpg.197353

I forgot to add the bolt that holds down the water pipe on the PS side and the lower coil pack bracket bolts to that picture.

Notice the long studded bolt for the throttle bracket on the upper plenum and the shorter studded fasteners for the back of the fuel rail (for the col pack bracket to drop down onto).

Also on my base bolts, they are all the same where your stock stuff will have an oddball studded unit for the lift bracket.

Got my parts list thanx to Thomas K. and I appreciate the photography of Earl Brown. Both should help greatly as we try to get this this back together! You guys are great!