Instrument lights out

DavidM

My instrument lights have been out for some time. I did a search and checked a few things.

*5A LPS and 20A Tail light Fuse are good.
*My Radio and Cig Lighter work.
*My RPM/Boost Tach works rarely with lights off.
*Volts, Service Engine, Oil Press, Left/Right Turn signal, High Beam etc indicators all work.
*Shifter Indicator light does not work. When I pulled console there was a lose grey and black wire. I pulled them out of the way into the carpet.
*Never had a dome light bulb in so I don't know if that works.
*Pulled the Instrument (Analog) last nigh to get to my Speedometer Cable and checked all the bulbs and they were all good.

My main concern is getting my Instrument lights working.
I'm going to run to the parts store in a bit to buy a new Speedometer cable and will pick up a few bulbs.
This is also an 84GN.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Forgot to mention, my gear shifter light indicator is missing the socket for the bulb. Only thing I found during my search regarding the socket was that it was the same as the Front Corner light socket. Can someone confirm this?

The loose gray wire at the console is the lamp power, with black being the ground.

It may be the dimmer assembly on the dash that may be bad. It feeds a gray wire that runs around the interior.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The loose gray wire at the console is the lamp power, with black being the ground.

It may be the dimmer assembly on the dash that may be bad. It feeds a gray wire that runs around the interior.

RemoveBeforeFlight

RmvBfrFlght,

On the grey and black wire at the console for the gear shifter light, there is soppose to be a socket there. Right now I have just the lose wires and no socket. Do you happen to know socket P/N or if it's the same as the front corner lights.

I will check Dimmer Unit tonight.
Thank you.

RemoveBeforeFlight

X2. I pulled mine out and it was corrosion city. I disassembled it and cleaned it up, regreased it and got her lighting again

yes. it's a 194 bulb. If you want to test the socket and don't have a meter, pop the bulb out of the glove box. It's very common for that harness to get hung up in the shifter assy and compromised.

yes. it's a 194 bulb. If you want to test the socket and don't have a meter, pop the bulb out of the glove box. It's very common for that harness to get hung up in the shifter assy and compromised.

I am missing the socket aswell. Looked it up at the parts store and cannot find it.

This should be the console socket. Note that the gray wire pulled out of the terminal.

ConsoleLight_0.jpg
ConsoleLight_2.jpg
ConsoleLight_1.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Problem solved.
Ordered a new Dimmer Switch from Autozone P/N UDS473.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1371587772.059402.jpg

Time to go buy some LEDs now! ;)