Installing 3rd Brake Light

Torx

My regal didnt come with a 3rd brake light, so i bought one..

I know how to attach it, etc.. but..
How would i go about wiring it up?

What wires do i need to splice into or tap into?

Thanks for any help

Never having a third brakelite, I'd think you'll have to get power from the brake light switch that rests on the brake pedal. You won't be able to take power from the taillites because they are also connected to the blinker circuit.

would i be sucking too much power from the switch to where it'll cause fuse popping or circuit overloading?

or does it put out a 12v source?
damn,this sounds complicated.

It's possible, but I don't think so. It's only powering one bulb. Just run a wire from the switch to the light and see what happens. Not so complicated.

Red Regal T said:
Never having a third brakelite, I'd think you'll have to get power from the brake light switch that rests on the brake pedal. You won't be able to take power from the taillites because they are also connected to the blinker circuit.
Since I am kind of a "duffuss" with electrical, I spilced mine up to the brake light/bulb circuit. Of course, the operation was verified and it worked fine when the brake was applied ......... However, one day I noticed that the third light was also a "blinker" when turning on the left turn signal! ;) :cool: Now I know how to do it ....

Auto parts stores used to sell something that you wired to the two brake lights so that you could hook up a thrid brake light that didn't blink with either directional. I can't remember what it was called, but you may still be able to get it. I think it was called a logic circuit or something.

i did this.. see if you guys can verify and tell me if i need to change anything..

on stock regals with 3rd brake light, the 3rd and rear lights are on separate circuits as so the 3rd wont flash, okay so we know that.

So what i did was wire a single wire from the brake switch (white wire) to the light.
Then a wire from the light to ground.

works great! bright as hell.. Just hopin this little addon doesnt **** with my alarm or fuses/circuits..

Whatcha guys think?

Do i need to add any fuses or anything?

thanks guys for the help!

At first i wired it to ground, and to a white wire going into the 110V "green block" that was mounted in the trunk under the rear deck.. It had 2 browns, dk blue, and a white wire going into this little block, and some wires out. So i tapped into the white(which i thought was brake light power IN), but it didnt work.. Anyone know why? I wanted to cut the wiring down to where it was wired stright to the available wires right there in the trunk without having to wire to the front.. Know what i mean?

If it works,then I'd just leave it alone. Just tuck the wires away neatly. If you wired it off of the brake switch, then it should already be fused.

Try tapping the brown wire in the trunk that goes to the gang plug in the left rear corner of the trunk; that is the brake light connector. If you can hook a test light to the wire and it only illuminates when the brake pedal is depressed, that's the power wire to use. Don't use the dark green or yellow; those are flasher wires.

John, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it will still blink causing the third brake lite to blink. For example, when you put your left turnsignal on while braking, that signal will continue to blink, on and off, while your right brake light will be on.