Installed cold air kit. More boost! PICS

toomanymodz

I just installed the Tinman cold air kit and it dropped my intake temperatures by 40 degrees! The motor had just a K&N cone filter and was pulling in about 120 degrees temps, and when I'd mash the pedal, the temps would climb to 140 degrees! Now, it's pulling in ambient air, which is about 85 degrees right now where I live.

The first thing I noticed is my boost increased another 2 pounds with no other changes! I didn't think it was possible, but I'm now running 20 pounds of boost on 93 octane. It boost spikes to 22 pounds then settles down to 20, with no knock. The car pulls like a train.

Here is the kit that I installed:
GBodyParts.com Online

Here is a pic of the engine. And I'll throw in some updated pics of the car including my 'modded' interior.

4782599531_0f005c4470_b.jpg

4783233084_ec117c7863_b.jpg

4782599357_d1dc9cb2f1_b.jpg

4782599295_5285127e2f_b.jpg

How far down does the filter go did you have to cut facory fenderwell or anything or did it just fit right in?

How far down does the filter go did you have to cut facory fenderwell or anything or did it just fit right in?

The filter goes down to where it's even with the plastic 'skirt'. Not sure what that plastic piece is called.

Didn't have to cut anything. There was a small piece of the core-support that I had to bend. It's behind the head light and looks like a little tab for which to connect a ground wire to.

It pretty much slid in place. The rubber boot that connects to the MAF already had the hole for my temperature sensor. Easy install for sure.

I can't believe I'm getting away with 20 lbs of boost with no knock showing on the powerlogger. I'm only running 93 octane with NO alky kit. :eek: I do plan on trimming the boost back to 18, just to be on the safe side.

The filter goes down to where it's even with the plastic 'skirt'. Not sure what that plastic piece is called.

Didn't have to cut anything. There was a small piece of the core-support that I had to bend. It's behind the head light and looks like a little tab for which to connect a ground wire to.

It pretty much slid in place. The rubber boot that connects to the MAF already had the hole for my temperature sensor. Easy install for sure.

I can't believe I'm getting away with 20 lbs of boost with no knock showing on the powerlogger. I'm only running 93 octane with NO alky kit. :eek: I do plan on trimming the boost back to 18, just to be on the safe side.

Hi toomanymodz,

I, also, use the TinMan 4" Cold Air Kit on my 1986 GN. The inverted cone filter is concealed because it sits slightly higher than the bottom lip of the driver's side front air dam. It's a well-engineered kit and looks better than the exposed filter at the end of the MAF intake pipe. Make sure that cone filter clamp is tight. I lost the original aFe filter, after I, inadvertently, hit a street pothole and it jarred loose.

Nando.

Pics of Tin Man 4" Cold Air Intake System

Here's some pictures of my 4" Tin Man Cold Air Intake set up. Air Filter hangs down just a little lower than yours I guess.

It's a great set up and I would highly recommend it.

With the Tin Man Cold Air Intake (and all the other supporting mods done), I'm able to run 22# boost with 0 KR. With Bob Bailey's Extender Extreme 93 chip on pump gas. Using Sunoco Gold 94 octane that's available locally.

dave

Attachments

• Tin Man Cold Air Intake 003.jpg
    Tin Man Cold Air Intake 003.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Tin Man Cold Air Intake 006.jpg
    Tin Man Cold Air Intake 006.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Tin Man Cold Air Intake 010.jpg
    Tin Man Cold Air Intake 010.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 395
With the Tin Man Cold Air Intake (and all the other supporting mods done), I'm able to run 22# boost with 0 KR. With Bob Bailey's Extender Extreme 93 chip on pump gas. Using Sunoco Gold 94 octane that's available locally.
dave

Did you happen to notice if you BLM's increased? Mine have gone up slightly, so I probably need to increase my base-fuel parameter (TT chip). It makes sense, denser air charge means more fuel to match.

Anybody running meth see a difference with this kit? I would think the most gain in HP would be from those running pump gas and no meth.