Installation of a MSD 6BTM unit

Scott Adcock

Anyone have any experience installing an MSD 6BTM ignition/boost timing retard unit on a buick turbo v-6? I recently purchased one of these units and am looking into how it can be installed in conjunction with the original ESC (Electronic Spark Control) unit. It appears as though the module in the distributor is eliminated and the magnetic pick-up is connected directly to the MSD unit. In this case the GM ESC would be useless (sort of is anyway). I'm working on a '78 Turbo Sport Coupe. Anybody got any thoughts?

Yes & No.
I would keep the stock HEI module in place so you can still have the ESC for knock control. Use the white wire on the MSD box and connect that to the (3) pin plug that plugged in to the HEI distributor cap. This will plug in to the (tach) side of the plug. You could also use the small red off the MSD to plug into the battery side of the plug. This is switched Power. (Sorry I can't remember the wire colors). Also if you have the instructions wire it the way they show for the "HEI module, white wire trigger”. You will also have to install the diode off one of the pins on the module.

"http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pdf14.pdf" that’s the web site from MSD.