inside header coating ?

Kracker

did a quick search on the subject but i cant find any evidence not to coat the inside of my headers. i heard storys but would like to hear from some of the guys that have done this and what the results have been. would also like to know who did the coating for you. thanks

I had both of my headers on both cars Jet Hotted and it leaves a nice smooth finnish on the inside of the headers. I can only think that with this smooth coating on the inside, it must help with exhaust flowing better. The best thing about the finnish is that it can be cleaned up and shined to look new again after a couple of years.

When I spoke with Jet Hot several years ago...they told me that they do not recommend coating the inside of headers on turbo charged engines.....as if it ever flaked off....it's game over for your turbo.

However on a NA car....that's another story.

Same here, when I had all my stuff ceramic coated I was told not to do it before the turbo. I've had jet hot flake off before so I know its possible. My down pipe back is coated inside and out though

Here's the deal......There is NO way to properly prep the inside on the pipe..They may tell you they can but they really cant.

did a quick search on the subject but i cant find any evidence not to coat the inside of my headers. i heard storys but would like to hear from some of the guys that have done this and what the results have been. would also like to know who did the coating for you. thanks

We've been Ceramic Coating pipes for close to 15 years. The easy answer to your question is that it comes down to the type of Ceramic Coating being used and the size and condition of the pipes being coated. First off, when most people refer to Ceramic Coating or Jet Hot they are usually referring to the “bright Ceramic Coating”. Unfortunately there is NO bright Ceramic Coating on the market that is capable of withstanding actual turbo temps for any period of time without dulling and eventually going into failure mode due to excessive temps. Unlike many other coaters, Jet Hot included, we rarely recommend bright for any street of heavily raced turbo application outside of some motorcycles, vehicles running alcohol or limited race applications because its GOING TO FAIL. Even under those circumstances the bright coating will eventually dull and or delaminate. We recommend one of the high temp Ceramic Coating offerings that is good for nearly 2000F. This material can actually be red hot on turbine housing and retain its color.

RMAR brings up a good point. The biggest issue is being able to properly prepare the ID surface of headers and pipes to accept the Ceramic Coating. Many of the coaters that tell you they are coating the ID of pipes are either outright lying or being deceitful, especially when it comes to bright ceramic as an internal thermal barrier. What they do is spray the inside of your collectors and primary tubes and tell you they’ve coated the inside of your pipes. This is BS. Not to mention, if the ID of the pipe isn’t properly prepared the material will never stick. Hence the reason Jet Hot doesn’t recommend it, because they know the way they are coating the ID is an illusion. Further, when the bright ceramic breaks off it is very hard like a big piece of chrome. At which point can damage your turbine. Again, the high temp Ceramic Coatings will not harm a turbo even if they were to fail.

That being said there are methods to prep the ID with combinations of acids and blasting if the pipes are big enough, short enough, etc to be accessed by blasting equipment to ensure that the pipes are profiled properly. Below is the aftermath of a Jet Hot coated turbo header after a short time on the dyno. After the bright ceramic dulls, it turns to a white / green and then it’s all over. It becomes sacrificial and flakes off at high turbo temps. The other pics are some similar apps with the correct coatings on both turbine houseings and turbo headers.

Hope this help…..

FailedCeramicCoating.jpg

Race%2520car%2520engine%2520004.jpg

100_2907R.jpg

Keith%2520Turbo%25202.jpg

DSCF0255.JPG

%2521BvEsLGgCWk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqIOKjoEvNoEoge-BMD%2521e%2528UqwQ%257E%257E_3.jpg