Injector wiring

Mr. Upholsterer

Smoking the Buick
I have an old 84 Grand National Injector wiring question... The boots on the wiring are brittle and broken/ Should I worry about it or get some new injector wiring...Where could I get it? The engine is competely rebuilt and I have installed an 86 manifold...The injectors were not rebuilt..O rings are flattened out and brittle... The car was running pertty good before I got the motor...looks like Less than 10 K on it since the rebuild. Really had a rough time getting those injectors out.:rolleyes:

Caspers has the replacement injector harness. You should also send your injectors to Chuck Leeper for cleaning.

injectors

I just dropped Caspers an e-mail...as well as a private message to Chuck...Thanks for the info. I was just thinking..maybe I could use black silicon in a tube for replacement of the boots ?? yea...that would look like crap !

You can also just cut the rubber boots off. Then tape wrap with Scotch 70 (or equivelent) silicone tape. It's self fusing, and we use it on aircraft wiring. I went through a whole roll just today on a new A/P. The silicone tape is available from most parts stores in black, too. Scotch 70 is grey. You might just leave it bare, though. The 86-87's dont have the boots, nore does the Casper's, either.

actually the 86s do have the rubbery wrap boots before the plug .
. i wouldnt try to doctor up the old boots as odds are the wiring inside is already garbage , even using old 87 harness is risky after 23years

replace with caspers or racetronix harness, and you dont need the metal injector to fuel rail clips, they are just another sharp edge to cut through the wiring over time

i have a good slightly used injector harness if you need it-had 35K miles on it.

49 Blues, Are the boots still soft? what are you asking for it? I have been told that the connectors that hook into the wiring harness are different on the 84 than the 86 ?? Is this true..??

The boots are all in very good shape, I don't think the connectors are different, I have a 84 GN and a 87 GN. , I believe everything is interchangeable, I upgraded my 84gn to a 87 drivetrain but before I changed the engine to a 87 I converted everything but the block heads using the stock 84 motor and everything was plug and play and ran good. $35. Shipped.

The 84 style injector connectors were different; they had the boot attached and used "push-on" terminals. The problem was, on occasion, the terminals pushed out when the connector was installed onto the injector, resulting in a non-connection to the injector. In around mid-85, they re-designed the connector using "PULL to seat" terminals and a rear connector seal. The new design eliminated the boot. This is currently the only connector of that style available today. There is a European version of the injector connector that uses individual cable seals and no boot, but it's not pull-to-seat.

FWIW, the boot would deteriorate in a short time. It would be rare to find a good used 84 harness with boots that are perfect. Bad material, bad design.

will a 87 type harness work on a 84 car? If so why wouldnt someone want to use the newer upgraded harness other than to keep 84 car totally original?

Thanks for the info..I guess I will stay with the 84 injectors and wiring harness...I will tell you what...It was very hard to even get the wiring connectors off of them..there was a little spring clip on them...I was temped just to pull them off but I was afraid I would break the plastic and I would be even futher up the creek.:(:rolleyes::eek:

Injectors

So If I wanted to use Caspers Wiring Harness, I would have to get newer injectors? The connector will probably not fit into the 84 harness also...right... Hey John...how you doing ..good hearing from you again.. Let me get this straight now..Caspers moved to Germany...but there is a location in IL that is like a drop off point ?? :confused:

Harness

AH....I See from your link...I will be running the harness in the back too...Looks like the 86-89 would take right to the place I want to be ...but if the harness won't fit my injectors I guess I will just have to extend the wires to go to the back of the engine.:rolleyes:

I have an old 84 Grand National Injector wiring question... The boots on the wiring are brittle and broken/ Should I worry about it or get some new injector wiring...Where could I get it? The engine is competely rebuilt and I have installed an 86 manifold...The injectors were not rebuilt..O rings are flattened out and brittle... The car was running pertty good before I got the motor...looks like Less than 10 K on it since the rebuild. Really had a rough time getting those injectors out.:rolleyes:

Best to replace the harness...

Racetronix - G75 Fuel Injector Harness

We also carry injector o-rings and filters here:
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Cc=FUELINJ-AC&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=