injector size for methanol injection

delcowizzid

newzealand turbo 3.8
hey guys im currently setting up for meth injection useing 2 spare ecu outputs to trigger the pump and 1 or 2 injectors that are PWM controlled via the ecu .will be triggering and varying injector duty via a MAP V's RPM lookup table and may use an intake temp table as well but that will be later if i do.now what sort of flow of meth am i going to need to effectively cool an allready intercooled intake charge.its standard 3800 later 89 model NA engine with turbo added as in my ride thread on here.im trying to work out what flow in LB/hr injectors i need for a single or duel injector setup . cheers guys

hey guys im currently setting up for meth injection useing 2 spare ecu outputs to trigger the pump and 1 or 2 injectors that are PWM controlled via the ecu .will be triggering and varying injector duty via a MAP V's RPM lookup table and may use an intake temp table as well but that will be later if i do.now what sort of flow of meth am i going to need to effectively cool an allready intercooled intake charge.its standard 3800 later 89 model NA engine with turbo added as in my ride thread on here.im trying to work out what flow in LB/hr injectors i need for a single or duel injector setup . cheers guys

What injector are you using that can handle methanol?
What pump are you using that can handle methanol and a fuel injector?
Have you tried a simple system of using a nozzle and pump?

i have a random pile of injectors from 18-42lb sitting round .my mates have been running full methanol injection as a fuel supply with seimens dekas for ages now no issues and bosch 044 pumps i have a few pumps lying round as well that should handle the job just want the meth to be metered nicely dont like the idea of lots at low rpm and less at high rpm that a fixed rate kit would spit out.ive done water injection that way before back in the day

The progressive systems meter in methanol based on boost. The higher the boost the higher the pressure(volume). This way you dont get a lot at low rpm's and a little at high rpm's. This can also be metered using an MAF signal as well. The idea is to spray based on LOAD applied to the engine. Simple and very effective.

The injectors if they have steel inside of them will fail. Its only a matter of time. As will the pump. One thing is it works for 1 month, another is it works for 3 years. The only injectors I would use would be the ones used on Flex Fuel vehicles that are specifically designed for alcohol fuels and use stainless. Same issue with pump, lines, fittings, etc. methanol is corrossive to metals like aluminum and steel.

Some use a lot of lubricant mixed with the methanol to extend the life of the parts wetted.

hmm food for thought thanks mate .we are setting up 3 cars in the near future one "altered" drag car with twin turbo 3800 will be high boost full slicks no suspension racecar will be looking for a serious setup for it if we dont go full meth injection on it.will most likely run loww altitude avgas as we can get it easy and some meth on top for intake cooling as it runs no intercooler might have to get a kit sent over :biggrin:

Bosch 160 lb/hr injectors are methanol compatible. Been running my same set for over 8 years.

cheers don good to know are they low Z injectors obviously hmmm high Z ecu may need some modding spose they would be good just for meth injected cooling mist though ecu wont spit the dummy at that :biggrin: one in each intake pipe should do it