In tank fuel hose question

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I upgraded to a Walbro pump. I was advised to remove the pulsator and did so. I used high pressure fuel injection hose to do it. A couple of days ago I followed a link to a Vega site, guy put a hot air into a Vega. In his buildup he says if you put high pressure hose in your tank, make sure it is SAE J30R10. Of course, mine is SAE J30R9. Is there any truth to this? Better to find out now while the tank is down, so please clue me in.

Damn, I'm glad I found out about this now instead of when it was already hung and full of gas. Thanks for that link.

it goes between the pump outlet and the metal pipe at the top of the hanger... replacing the 'pulsator', which is a flexible bladder-like piece that is supposed to quell the fp pulses from the pump... if your pump isn't stock, it's already done....

OK thanks i see it. Dropped the tank and i guess i have the dreaded Walboro pos fuel pump.Guess car will be down for a while,or put stock one in that worked for 34,00/21 years. Walboro 600 miles/1 year!

When I installed my Walbro I just used the short piece of hose that came with the pump. I did not know about using a special hose made for the fuel tank. My friends who have GNs did not know about this either. After about 3 months I was having issues with fuel pressures not being stable. Took down the pump only to find out that the fuel hose was very mushy and was split down the middle. I then bought plain fuel injection hoses with a blue liner inside the hoses. It too became mushy and gave way after a very short time. After inquiring about this I ended up buying the special fuel hose from Carquest and it cost me $21 for a foot of this special hose. So far no more issues with fuel hoses and fuel pressures.

So how do you determine if it is the hose or the pump? Hose looks alright except where the clams were it is kinda mushy underneath them????

Where did you find it? I went to Autozone, O'Reilly's and Advance and none of them had it. It is the J30R10 hose, right?

Hot Rod magazine January 2011 has an article on fuel line hose. They say to use J30R9, or better is J30R12, or best is a hose that has PTFE in it. Should we all replace our old hose on the fuel pump hanger? And the hose inside the tank? The article does not mention J30R10.