In quite a predicament and need a reliable and inexpensive fix

baller760

Hey guys,

Well, unfortunately my time with the Buick GN has come towards its end but not without trouble. To sum it all up my experience with the GN hasn't been a very happy one although this was mostly due to my lack of any proper budget to get the car running the way it should have (poor college student during my ownership). Sadly I am preparing to sell this car this summer or shortly thereafter as I will no longer be living in the United States and will not have the capacity to look after the vehicle. Thus, here comes the problem...

The car is running horribly. Ever since I put some oil on my KN filter the car barely even idles and struggles to hold any vacuum at all. I changed the MAF with a new stock one and I am still experiencing the trouble. I also here what sounds like a knock coming from the back of the engine at intermittent intervals ever since hitting 20 degrees of knock in second gear. The car in itself is entirely stock except for 42.5 lb/hr injectors, a hot wired 340 fuel pump, and a turbo tweak chip. Anyway, since I need to sell this car but want to ensure I get the most money possible out of it (car should be worth $15k with a proper running motor since paint, interior and overall keep up is near top notch), I am looking into doing an engine refresh to get her running properly again.

I have conducted a compression test and recorded between 130-150 in all cylinders but have not performed a leak down since I have been over in Europe for the past year. I must state that I am not looking to do any sort of performance rebuild at all. I literally just want the vehicle to be as stock as possible and hold 15-20 inches of vacuum at idle and run like a champ on stock boost (like it used to once upon a time).

While I have been in Europe my father took the vehicle to our mechanic to get it checked out and he said it seemed like the cam was wiped, the seals were bad, and the engine was basically just tired. Now, I plan to get it checked out again when I return to the States in May and have a second opnion (hopefully by Lou Czarnota if I can afford it) and see what my options are to getting the vehicle running correctly.

All in all, I have owned the vehicle for 5 years and have loved it dearly but never had the budget to play with it and get it to the level I wanted it. My new job in London will easily provide me with the income to support the modifications I want(ed) to do to this car but it doesn't make much sense to play with it if I will never be around to drive it. Unless I had the money to ship it over to London ;)

Anyway, back to the point. I would like to know the approximate cost of an entirely stock refresh/rebuild and if anyone knows a quality engine builder in Southern California besides Lou Czarnota? The reason being that Lou already told me he doesn't like to do rebuilds to keep his shop space open for other customers and the only option he had was a $6,000 mild performance build ready to be dropped in. Problem is I don't see the point in spending that much on the car just to sell it in the near term.

Sorry about the long post but I really love this car and want to make sure she's in her best shape when I sell her to another loving Buick guy in the future. I just can't bare to sell a car which looks great but runs like shXX.

Thanks.

Rock and a hard place..

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a couple of suggestions that might help you out hopefully.
First, I am guessing that the oil from the K&N filter probably gummed up the MAF sensor. I know you swapped it out, but the 'new' one may not have been good, unless it was a known good one from a different running vehicle. I have used a MAF cleaner (spray can) from the auto parts store with great results. I would suggest using some on the original MAF sensor to remove any oil and dirt that has accumulated. Also, the problem remains to be the oily K&N- remove it and wash it- let it dry, and either install it dry, or just lightly oil it! Best bet would be to buy a second new one and use it out of the box while the one you have is drying out. Ideally, you should have two anyways- one is on the car, one is washed and oiled ready to install. That way when you do your maintenance, you just swap the dirty one for the clean one.
Now on to the rest of the motor. In my opinion, you would be best off to sit on the car and return to it at a later date. Look into storage possibilities, friends, family, etc. If that is not an option, you should go through the entire 'spring cleaning' list that is floating around here somewhere. Lots of little things that are not quite right can add up to a poorly running car (clean and set the IAC, replace/check PCV, set TPS, clean throttle body, etc). Many a motor has been rebuilt when it didn't really need to be. That being said, it sounds like the motor has seen some abuse (detonation) and that is really hard on the parts. So perhaps a rebuild IS the correct answer. I understand not wanting to sell junk to another TR guy, but there are lots of us who would rather buy it needing a rebuild and do it our own way. You will lose a little on the sale price, but it makes more sense ($$) than putting a motor in it to sell it. From what I understand, Lou is a great guy with an outstanding reputation. He will likely have some better advice, but I hope this helps you out.

The car is running horribly. Ever since I put some oil on my KN filter the car barely even idles and struggles to hold any vacuum at all.
Thanks.

well call me stupid but why not just get a NEW air cleaner and clean the maf ?? :confused:

..oh buyin a USED motor is just buyin a pig in a poke. ..I never had any luck. most guys have no idea whats been done to the motor. Oh it only has 40k on it!! HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ! sorry to much crap goin on car sites lately. BUYER BEWARE ... good luck

Get her fixed and ship her over to the UK, then there'd be 5 of us:biggrin:
Seems a shame to sell a car you love. Best of luck!

I agree to sell needing motor work if $$$ is tight. I would much rather build my Own Motor that buy your rebuild anyday.