In need of a 20bolt timing cover

85begalttype

just a v6
which vendor on this site carries a non chinese made 20 bolt cover. earl brown mods and fully assembled with proper clearances would be nice but not necessary. im not looking for the high volume oil pump. thanks

None of the vendors that I know of carry a GM made cover. Brian or TTAowner may have a few good ones but Earl is the only one I know that still has NIB GM covers. You might want to PM him and see if he'll respond.

Best cover period!

TA Performance machines their new V-6 and V-8 timing covers in-house, that is in Scottsdale, AZ. ;)

These covers and done to much closer tolerances than the original cover to provide optimum performance.

Every one I have personally installed and know of from customers, ALL have shown improved oil pressure and NO fitment issues. :)

i may order one from TA performance if they are for sure still made onsite?

I am puzzled by your question, not sure if you are questioning my integrity or TA's? :confused:

They have 5 CNC's there and machine heads, intakes, rear end covers and many other Buick parts.

The web site is not always up to date and do sell bare covers, so call them if you have questions.

The V-6 TA covers do not use high volume gears, they use stock size gears.

I am puzzled by your question, not sure if you are questioning my integrity or TA's? :confused:

They have 5 CNC's there and machine heads, intakes, rear end covers and many other Buick parts.

The web site is not always up to date and do sell bare covers, so call them if you have questions.

i just read a post a while back that the timing cover was not made there since it doesnt say in the description. but i take your word on it, and will be purchasing my timing cover from there. thanks

sorry I just read this off there sight!!

TA offers aftermarket timing covers for other Buick V6 and V8 engines. Front mounted neoprene seal included. Please note that gaskets, timing tabs and distributor hold downs sold separately. These covers are not made by TA Performance.

If the timing tab on your old timing cover was part of the casting, you will need to purchase a new indicator and distributor hold down when changing out with these aftermarket covers.

so im wondering if its just the Dorman brand chinese covers because i dont know any other company that makes them

Gbody doesn't have them on thier website yet. I would like to see a TA cover in person. One day I will.:biggrin:

sorry I just read this off there sight!!

TA offers aftermarket timing covers for other Buick V6 and V8 engines. Front mounted neoprene seal included. Please note that gaskets, timing tabs and distributor hold downs sold separately. These covers are not made by TA Performance.......

Guess I am the one that should be sorry, that put me in an embarrassing position? :(

They will be changing that statement VERY soon.

About 2 years ago they were selling an off-shore cover, and since then the castings have been machined in-house and only TA branded/machined Buick covers have been sold.

Hey Nick. Is TA taking a aftermarket cover and should I say "making it right" then machining oil passages and such? Or are they making a cover that is all in house. I have never seen where this question has been asked. I am guessing this is all in house now? I have heard nothing but goot things from the TA cover. Thanks.

Hey Nick. Is TA taking a aftermarket cover and should I say "making it right" then machining oil passages and such? Or are they making a cover that is all in house. I have never seen where this question has been asked. I am guessing this is all in house now? I have heard nothing but good things from the TA cover. Thanks.

TA is machining a raw casting to their specs and precision tolerances.

When the 455 V-8 cover was discontinued many years ago, Mike had a casting made to his specs and machined it in-house.

The V-6 GM covers dried up a few years ago and TA set up to do a V-6 cover. The precision tolerances of the pump cavity are crucial to developing and maintaining good oil pressure, and TA holds these tolerances to much tighter than stock. The off-shore covers are lacking here as they are usually are looser than stock. :eek:

He also made changes in the internal passages from the stock cover to lessen oil flow restriction by larger passages and re-directing internal flow.

This is why we can claim this is a much better cover than factory which was originally designed for the Buick 350 V-8 back in the 60's, and then also used on the V-6 engines.

With the higher HP and RPM of the performance turbo engines, oil supply/demand is greatly increased, and the TA cover was designed to give the required performance.

Of course I use this cover and a TA external pump in my car, and start up pressure is over 100 psi, at 180 degrees it is still 75 psi using 20-50W oil. :biggrin:

I have around 6 used gm 20 bolt front covers $75 each plus shipping

i think i have 1 used 14 bolt as well

thanks charlie;)

Highway Stars (NOS4GN) also has new old stock GM timing covers. Glen's price was the best last time I checked.