In-line walbro?

WhoNds8

I have a Walbro 255 in-tank right now with only like 500 mi. on it, and really don't want to get rid of it already, anyway I was on Speed Inc.'s website and they have a Walbro GSL392 (255L) in-line pump rated at 80psi as well, so could I just run a 255 in-tank and a 255 in-line instead of running a double pumper setup? Wouldn't it be one in the same? Or do I just get the double pumper?

By the time you factor in the cost of the extra lines, fittings, external filter, sump filter etc...

tough call.

We sell the GSL392 for $129.99 each
400-939 install kit is $9.74 each

We also stock various AN style adapters and others.

Custom wiring kits for the external pumps can be made to order.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

Extra lines,fittings,external filter,sump filter??? Wouldn't that come with the kit? Ok maybe not the filter but that's really not that expensive. What kind of lines are we talking here? I've put several pumps on F-body's and mustang's with what was supplied, pumps such as Vortech T-Rex and NOS pumps, what would be different on our cars? Surely not an extra $400? Just curious, not complaining or anything, but the searches I've done on this haven't really answered my questions......

The 400-939 install kit comes with hose barb fittings, foam insulation sleeve, two mouting brackets, and two copper washer seals.

Hose and filters are not included.

The Airtex T-Rex pump was originally designed by Walbro who sold Airtex the rights. Since then thay have made some revisions to reduce cost so the pump is not the same. The T-Rex is suppose to be a 190L/Hr pump where the GSL392 is 255L/Hr.

If you want to use rubber hose I recommend Goodyear spriral wrap 5/16" push on hose (350PSI rated). A pre-filter similar to the filter sock is recommended to protect the gears on the pump.

Racetronix sells a universal pickup kit which is the same as this one sold by Holley. This kit will pre-filter the fuel and prevent the pump from running dry.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/12-951.html

Racetronix

I know that this isn't my thread, but since we have Jacks attention, I thought Id ask. I have been looking in to running two seperate fuel tanks, one for 92 and one for 116. I figured that I would use an external cell for race gas and would need an external pump. This walbro that you have sounds about right for what I am looking for but the real question is have you all every tried to piece together a kit to do this???? Seems kinda easy but would need to figure on some Ys to use and a way to make sure return gas got to the right tank. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

Zak

one-quick-six, I have a set-upon my project car that is exactly what you are describing. 2 saddle type tanks, (1) 11 gallon & (1) 8 gallon. I used summit filters on each tank, before the selector valve, ran all the lines to a RV fuel selector valve then to a Walbro GSL392 in line pump, then thru an Aeromotive high pressure filter. 1 switch does it all!!! The RV selector has 6 lines, 2 ins for fuel , 2 ins for return. 1 out for fuel., 1 out for return. The fuel side is 3/8" & the return is 5/16". Each tank has it's own fuel gauge & the selector valve switches that too! The selector is rated at 60#'s max, so it lends itself better to an in line pump after the valve, but you might be able to squeek by with in tank pumps. Hope this helps you out. TAZ

Two questions.
1: Contact info for Racetronix? I see the website, but no phone number.
2: I need an inline pump for another car and this one sounds right, but it needs to go to -8 an hose ends both in and out.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

You can buy the diverter valve from JC Whitney and the Walbro pumps, kits, fittings and wiring harness from Racetronix.

Racetronix

dual fuel

Interesting thread....it got my attention because I've thought about doing this with regular/race gas. Here is the link for the diverter valve:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14820&BQ=jcw2

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

Could somebody please answer the question?
Does a 255lph pump in tank and 255lph in line [same line] flow more than a single in tank and how much more if any.
Thanks Ron

They GSS340 and GSL392 are the same pumps inside.
If you have a proper sump / feed line to the GSL392 inline pump it will flow just as much as the GSS340 in-tank unit. The only trick is fitting the suction line with a pre-filter similar to the filter sock on the in-tank unit to prevent debris from damaging the in-line pump or causing premature wear to its gears. That is why I recommend the pickup system listed here:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLi...SFP/12-951.html

Walbro’s / our part number for this is 400-935.

We stock the -6AN and -8AN Walbro pump fittings as well.

Racetronix

Jack, so all I would need to get is a few ft. of hose and a fuel filter? Right? Now if both pumps are running at the same time is this going to be too much fuel? Unlike the staged that comes on at a certain psi, or would I need to do that as well? I really just want to know if a 255 in-tank/255 in-line are the same as a double pumper (2/255 in-tanks)?? I've read on other threads that there were problems and that it would be more $$ but I honestly cannot see how :confused: ........ Or am I just totally missing something here.

Originally posted by WhoNds8
Jack, so all I would need to get is a few ft. of hose and a fuel filter? Right? Now if both pumps are running at the same time is this going to be too much fuel? Unlike the staged that comes on at a certain psi, or would I need to do that as well? I really just want to know if a 255 in-tank/255 in-line are the same as a double pumper (2/255 in-tanks)?? I've read on other threads that there were problems and that it would be more $$ but I honestly cannot see how :confused: ........ Or am I just totally missing something here.

Two pumps running at the same time under light load will overwhelm your factory return line not allowing you to turn down your fuel pressure. This would also place more load on your electrical system and heat the fuel ever so slightly more. It would be a good idea to have the second pump on some sort of load based control ie Hobbs switch. This applies to in-tank or in-line pumps.

You will require a proper sump for the external pumps. If the external system is put together properly it has the potential to outflow the in-tank setup by virtue of getting rid of a good percentage of the undersized factory lines. Installing a sump in a more ideal location on the gas tank can be of benefit as well. It is not just the pumps that determine your overall performance.

Racetronix

Define proper sump? I'm a little confused?? Your not talking sumping the stock fuel tank are you? I'm just looking to help out my intank 255 just a bit I guess, as you can see I am just looking for a 10.99 slip for now, but I'll settle for low 11's, I just always want to have enough fuel is all.:D

Are you thinking of adding a GSL392 in-line pump with a GSS340 in the tank? If so forget it. You are wasting your money.

Racetronix

Originally posted by WhoNds8
I have a Walbro 255 in-tank right now with only like 500 mi. on it, and really don't want to get rid of it already, anyway I was on Speed Inc.'s website and they have a Walbro GSL392 (255L) in-line pump rated at 80psi as well, so could I just run a 255 in-tank and a 255 in-line instead of running a double pumper setup? Wouldn't it be one in the same? Or do I just get the double pumper?

If you run it in parallel you will require a dedicated pre-filter / sock on the suction tube / sump to prevent debris from inside the tank damaging the pump. This pre-filter should be about 30 microns.

Originally posted by Racetronix
Are you thinking of adding a GSL392 in-line pump with a GSS340 in the tank? If so forget it. You are wasting your money.

Racetronix
[/QUOTE

Why would I be waisting my money? I'm just trying to understand how people with f-body's and mustang's can run a 255 in tank and add a puller pump luike a t-rex or NOS pump and it helps them? Why couldn't I buy a GSL392 pump put a NOS or whatever filter before it, and run it off a hobbs switch? Why are our cars so different?:rolleyes:

These people that you speak of have married a good idea with a notion to come up with what they think is offering them much better pump performance. These people might be running FMUs that produce outrageous fuel pressures to overcome super undersized injectors.

By adding an in-line pump you are doing very little to increase the fuel volume. Typically an in-line pump is used to extend the high pressure capability of a factory vane pump. Since the Walbro GSS340 is a high pressure / high volume pump there is no point in placing a GSL392 with the same specification in-line after the GSS340. Drawing fuel through a gerotor pump such as the GSS340 is very difficult as well. Your net gain will we quite minimal and not worth the exercise IMO.

The Airtex T-Rex pump is an old Walbro design (according to Walbro) that is rated at about 190L/Hr so it is not in the same league as the Walbro GSL392 255L/Hr pump.

If you are going to add an in-line pump it will have to be in parallel with the GSS340 in your tank to be of any real benefit.

Racetronix