Improving 60 Ft.

MonstrNrgy

Went to the track last night and I couldn't seem to get anything better than a 2.0 60 ft, ran a 12.70 @108. I can only hold about 2 psi on the the brakes before i start to push through them. Even on my best run (in sig) I could only manage a 1.91 60 ft. I was thinking about getting a 2 step to help with this. Would that be recommended or is there something else I can do to 60 ft better? Hoping to break in to the 11s with my combo.

Still running powermaster, Stock rear susp, and on Drag radials with no wheel spin.

Thanks in advance.

The power master has more than enough power to hold in excess of 15 lbs of boost on the foot brake, but.... the rear brakes need some TLC to do it. You can't let ANY heat build in them. If you're' doing a burn out without a line lock, you're building too much heat in them. Heat kills their holding power. Long shoes and proper adjustment also help.

I can hold 15 lbs of boost on my foot brake when they're cold. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2.

Here is what I did on a fair stock combo.

I got two sets of shoes, took the larger of the 4 and put them in the rear drums along with s10 wheel cyclinders. Took off the front sway bar and heated up the tires real good. I didn't have a line lock like I wanted but still pulled off several 1.61 -1.65 sixty foot times.

Got a buddy that has a rope tied to his E-brake. He sets it when staged and holds the foot brake hard while mashing the gas, then releases the E-brake and foot brake all in the same time. Been doing it for years with 1.5-1.6 sixty foot times.
Thats about as cheap as your gonna get.
This trick taught me how to launch my car in the 1.5's with a hundred passes or so. I was building 12psi at the line with a mild street combo.

You really need to post a lot more info, like which tires you run, tire pressure, are you spinning? This all plays into the final equation. I know this and its fact...there is a Buick bracket racer on here named Barry Wood ( Try Me GT) His car has boxed arms, stock swaybar, old gas shocks, no front swaybar and one airbag. I saw him back off the trailer last year at Norwalk and go to the lanes. It was the first time the car was started that year except for pulling it onto the trailer. He did light warm up of the tires and staged. He footbraked to 3500 rpm and shot out of there to a 1.52 60'...then came back and checked the tire pressure cause he had forgot. His car runs high 11's ( although he has swapped turbos since and is going faster) My point is no big dollar parts are needed to go mid 1.5's to high 1.4's 60's.

You really need to post a lot more info, like which tires you run, tire pressure, are you spinning? This all plays into the final equation. I know this and its fact...there is a Buick bracket racer on here named Barry Wood ( Try Me GT) His car has boxed arms, stock swaybar, old gas shocks, no front swaybar and one airbag. I saw him back off the trailer last year at Norwalk and go to the lanes. It was the first time the car was started that year except for pulling it onto the trailer. He did light warm up of the tires and staged. He footbraked to 3500 rpm and shot out of there to a 1.52 60'...then came back and checked the tire pressure cause he had forgot. His car runs high 11's ( although he has swapped turbos since and is going faster) My point is no big dollar parts are needed to go mid 1.5's to high 1.4's 60's.

Exactly!! NO high dollar parts required. All I had/have was box lower control arms, S10 wheel cylinders and long shoes with two air bags, 15# right, 5# left. Way back when,,,, on a borrowed set of little 8" slicks, I had no problems ripping out 1.5x 60's. Although, one important piece of the equation IMHO, was the line lock. It kept the rear shoes cold during a burnout, and the cold shoes can hold massive power.

Those that are talking about E-brake launches....well, I don't agree. I've seen far too many bent backing plates as a result of REAL hard e-brake launches.

coach said:

I'm running 275/60/15 hoosiers about 17psi. new shocks, stock suspension, no air bags, and not spinning at all

Exactly!! NO high dollar parts required. All I had/have was box lower control arms, S10 wheel cylinders and long shoes with two air bags, 15# right, 5# left. Way back when,,,, on a borrowed set of little 8" slicks, I had no problems ripping out 1.5x 60's. Although, one important piece of the equation IMHO, was the line lock. It kept the rear shoes cold during a burnout, and the cold shoes can hold massive power.

Those that are talking about E-brake launches....well, I don't agree. I've seen far too many bent backing plates as a result of REAL hard e-brake launches.
If your gonna go thru the trouble of E brake launches...just do a Stage Right Transbrake. Its not that expensive. If your tranny is strong enough to handle that kind of launch...a few 100 bucks extra is no biggie when building it. Theres a time to be cheap and a time not to be.

I went that route for one season (just one season). I ended up hating it so bad I tore it out and threw it away! I should explain..... I had been foot brake bracket racing for over 30 years, and a dozen different cars. I had my routine down pat, and with my GN, I found that I could release the foot brake and stomp on it as the 3rd yellow was beginning to "bloom" ( a technical term for coming to max brightness) ;). Anyway, since the Stage Right is a mechanical trans brake my usual .1 or lower reaction times soon became .3-.5 or worse. I was just never able to overcome 30 years of doing it one way, and trying to negate the half second or so of mechanical delays in that system.
It's a really nice piece for the street, and test and tune sessions at the track, but I know of no foot brake bracket racers that were able to successfully run it on a continuing basis. It's just too darn slow and inconsistent. If you're going to run a transbrake, an electronic one is the only way to go. Me, I stuck to foot brake launches.

I'm not disagreeing, but I've been on this board a long time and haven't seen anyone actually bend the backing plates. Not saying it hasn't been done, Or maybe I missed the thread, but I only have heard someone that knows someone...bla bla..
Again, I could be wrong.
I had at least one hundred passes from high to low 11's. Rear Pinion gear couldn't take 1.5 60fts