Impeller damage!

HOOGENRAAD

The lock ring that holds the mass air screen let go and got sucked into the impeller. Needless to say, the impeller has bent and damaged fins. The turbo is a precision te-63. Can you buy these parts separate, and how big of a job is it to change? There is no shaft play and it spins freely, no smoke, and still builds boost. Just don't want to destroy the bearings inside, only 3000 miles on this turbo. I noticed this problem when i cleaned my k&n air filter. Thanks:smile:

Technically, yes, you could change the wheel. However, if the turbo is still under warranty, it would be voided if you took it apart. I personally would rather have someone that builds that type of turbo handle the repair, vs messing something up. Besides, to do it right, it needs to be completely torn down and cleaned inside and out. If there are any chips or pieces of the compressor wheel that have made their way into the bearings of the chra, just changing the wheel won't solve your overall problem. Sure, you can unbolt and bolt up and new compressor wheel then torque it back to spec, but what happens the next time you start it up and go WOT and that turbo starts singing along at 80-90k rpms? That trash inside the chra or center housing rotating assembly, will take out the bearings and the oil seals after one pass. Not worth the risk if you ask me.

You could have either Precision Turbo or Limit Engineering fix it right for you.
At least that is what I would recommend.
Hope this helps.

Patrick