I'm seriously considering a Hellcat guys

If just looking for a test drive, go to your local dealer and drive a SRT. I drove several and my wife drove a couple before buying ours. My wife about scared this little Indian sales lady to death when she drove, spinning out and taking a u-turn curve at a high rate of speed kicked the anti-skid control on..it was rather funny. I would spring for the SRT, the '13 and newer have some nice performace options. We also considered getting an "Inaugral Edition" '11 which was a special edition with white leather interior that came in white or dark blue exterior.

I've never read or heard anything [about the Hellcat] that would make me not want one.
As noted above, it seems they are "traction limited", especially with the sizes of tires that will fit and/or are available(?)... thus no match for a hot-rodded TTA :)
Seems like one would be a blast in any case :cool:

Rob - interesting about the dealer "experience" o_O.
The first time I talked to a Hellcat owner locally [at a cruise night], he described a similar story. Then thru a forum and whatnot someone at FCA got wind of it, and sent him to a dealer who had been given a directive to put him in a car at sticker.
(hmmm... one of my buddies has a blue inaugural edition 392 and absolutely loves it)

Last edited:
So the C16, pulley, tune, headers, exhaust, and intake are only 50hp. Seems like 6K in parts and labor for 200HP.

Yeah... I noticed that also. The article has "900HP" plastered across the cover, but it doesn't seem as impressive with the 150 shot of N2O. Think they actually dyno'd 910HP or so at the rear wheels.

A few years ago I needed a rental car to drive 60 miles, sit for several days & then drive 60 miles back to the airport. I had reserved a simple inexpensive car. When I went to pick up the car, there was an orange Challenger sitting by the entrance to the office. Just for the hell of it, I asked about the car. They offered to upgrade me for very few dollars more, so I rented it. It only had a V-6 & an auto trans, but it was a real nice driving car! It was still reasonably quick & handled well. Received a LOT of looks & thumbs ups. I've driven rental Mustangs, the Challenger & a Camaro. All V-6/auto models. The Challenger was the best of the bunch!

Man, Why not just buy a new Shelby Cobra?

For the money there is no better bang.

Mustangs have always been fun to drive. Even if they weren’t the fastest.

The Cobra is reasonably priced with the credentials of a 6 digit sports cars.

They look killer and fucking scream bloody murder.

That’s just me though.

good luck
D

I have been looking at the Jazz blue 2016 hellcat and feel like I'm sold.
the hellcat just rocks,10 sec ets on drag radials with a warranty,great interior, drives great,sounds awesome, strong brakes.they did a great job on the car.

I am a Mopar guy just as much as I am a Buick guy and go to Chryslers at Carlisle every year . Last year they had 3 Hellcats doing " ride alongs " , they wouldn't let you drive . In the back of the fairgrounds they had a test strip setup with a Xmas tree and all , and would launch it from a stop , go to the top of the road , make a u turn and get on it coming back . The line was nearly 300 feet long of people waiting to go for the rides . All you heard all day were these Hellcats getting beat on non stop . They actually had extra wheels/tires as they were ruining tires that fast . The first thing that I actually thought was , wow , these are pretty durable drivetrains to be getting beat all day long and not break, non stop in summer heat .

I was thinking about maybe getting one too..... till i saw how much insurance was gonna be :depressed:

I've thought about it too Bo. I'm a Mopar guy first but like a lot of other stuff. I'm waiting a while to see what the market does on the used prices. I want a sunroof car and I believe the sunroofs were on constraint in 2014 so if there are any out there they are very few. Then I believe the prices went up in 2015? not sure but for you to have a 10 second car that you can throw the family in and get some real use out of it why not. If you buy new there are dealers who will sell for sticker. I know one if you go that route.

If you buy one of these let me know and I'll be right over.

I am a weird cat I admit, and for sure don't have THAT kinda money to throw around. But the Hellcat never appealed to me. Truth be told not many modern muscles do. (man am I a grumpy old man already??)
Not gonna lie, the thought of maintaining speed with modern day reliability (without the oil leaks) does invoke a dreamy feeling. Oh I for sure dig the styling of the newer ones for sure (Challenger is bad @$$ looking), and the Hellcat for sure puts its money where its mouth is, but I don't know that they stoke the sense of 'legacy' that a TTA does. Again I stress I don't consider myself normal, but I am of the opinion that any car can be fast if you put money into it. To me it is more about 'what' you chose to put your money in that turns heads.That being said I am sure the ride will be much better in a Hellcat.

It seems there is always something 'new' that is coming out that takes the 'king of the hill' title. They are already coming out with the modified Camaros and Mustangs to put out similar Hellcat numbers. So soon you would need to mod your Hellcat (and lose your warranty) or risk being the 'slow' hellcat on the block. I like the idea of taking a regular challenger SRT and modding it to put up Hellcat numbers.

As those cars get older, the price will drop some, and I think they will be a 'bit' more common. Seeing modded Cobras and Hellcats duke it it out at the track will be a bit more common as well. No matter who wins though, I am of the opinion you wont get as many compliments if your were to hang with them in a TTA. Only 1550 people have a chance to do that.

I am a weird cat I admit, and for sure don't have THAT kinda money to throw around. But the Hellcat never appealed to me. Truth be told not many modern muscles do. (man am I a grumpy old man already??)
Not gonna lie, the thought of maintaining speed with modern day reliability (without the oil leaks) does invoke a dreamy feeling. Oh I for sure dig the styling of the newer ones for sure (Challenger is bad @$$ looking), and the Hellcat for sure puts its money where its mouth is, but I don't know that they stoke the sense of 'legacy' that a TTA does. Again I stress I don't consider myself normal, but I am of the opinion that any car can be fast if you put money into it. To me it is more about 'what' you chose to put your money in that turns heads.That being said I am sure the ride will be much better in a Hellcat.

It seems there is always something 'new' that is coming out that takes the 'king of the hill' title. They are already coming out with the modified Camaros and Mustangs to put out similar Hellcat numbers. So soon you would need to mod your Hellcat (and lose your warranty) or risk being the 'slow' hellcat on the block. I like the idea of taking a regular challenger SRT and modding it to put up Hellcat numbers.

As those cars get older, the price will drop some, and I think they will be a 'bit' more common. Seeing modded Cobras and Hellcats duke it it out at the track will be a bit more common as well. No matter who wins though, I am of the opinion you wont get as many compliments if your were to hang with them in a TTA. Only 1550 people have a chance to do that.

The TTA hasn't gained the respect yet , and it's 27 years old ,and for being there only being 1,550 made is sad . NTM , as I did own one , was def a cool ride , you had the sound/power of the GN's and the braking and handling to go with it . Very fun car , but rode like crap compared to the TR's . I can't tell you how many people would come up to it and not know what it was or that they actually made them .
Truth be told , as far as value goes , a GN will out sell a TTA all the time miles to miles , condition to condition , and there were 20,193 produced !!!!! Everybody knows what a GN is , that is the difference . The nicest/lowest mile TTA's still struggle to get the orig window sticker , there have been many GN's to get double what they were new . It's going to be a long time before a TTA does that .
The most recent auction of a TTA was the GAA auction last week , 281 mile TTA sold for just $34k .
Hellcats are def bad ass cars ( like the Charger myself ) , but expensive , higher insurance , and , at least where I live , would be a $1k + year tax bill !!!! Wait a few years , pick one up used for $40-50k give or take miles/condition ( hopefully not beat to s@&t ) !!! You see many 2005-2007 GT500's with no miles for only low $30k's , would think the same would happen to these .

The TTA hasn't gained the respect yet , and it's 27 years old ,and for being there only being 1,550 made is sad . NTM , as I did own one , was def a cool ride , you had the sound/power of the GN's and the braking and handling to go with it . Very fun car , but rode like crap compared to the TR's . I can't tell you how many people would come up to it and not know what it was or that they actually made them .
Truth be told , as far as value goes , a GN will out sell a TTA all the time miles to miles , condition to condition , and there were 20,193 produced !!!!! Everybody knows what a GN is , that is the difference . The nicest/lowest mile TTA's still struggle to get the orig window sticker , there have been many GN's to get double what they were new . It's going to be a long time before a TTA does that .
The most recent auction of a TTA was the GAA auction last week , 281 mile TTA sold for just $34k .
Hellcats are def bad ass cars ( like the Charger myself ) , but expensive , higher insurance , and , at least where I live , would be a $1k + year tax bill !!!! Wait a few years , pick one up used for $40-50k give or take miles/condition ( hopefully not beat to s@&t ) !!! You see many 2005-2007 GT500's with no miles for only low $30k's , would think the same would happen to these .

Very good points!!! One of the thing I love about the TR's is the ride and the fact that I fit in them (6'3). When the current gen Camaro came out I sat in one at the Auto Show and there was NO way I would be able to see a stop light unless I pressed my face to the windshield. I don't remember having that problem with the older Fbodys, but i do remember having to pretty much 'fall' into them, and feeling every bump in the road. No matter what ya drive, you should enjoy the feeling of being behind the wheel. That is probably the biggest point to consider. That why I do like that the OP wanted to test the feel of the car.

I do wonder about the value of the Hellcat as time goes on. Someone posted a link to an article in this forum awhile back talking about the concern for the resale market as Hellcats got older . The author was speculating they would become cheap enough for younger drivers to afford 10-12 years from now. The centric point of the article was that if they were made in too great of a quantity, and were surpassed by the next something better, the market price would enable 18-20 years old to get their hands on 700hp which may not be the best thing to happen to the world. I trust the Insurance market will balance that out for us hehe.

I do think a used Hellcat would be the way to go, since I wouldn't have to worry about the warranty, but yeah finding one that wasn't beat on would be a challenge. Maybe look for one its original tires ;).

I bought , in 2009 , a brand new R/T Challenger 5.7 six speed , it was a very fun car , rode awesome , handled better than it looked like it would . Took it to the track , bone stock ran an impressive 13.76 @ 102 ,street tires and all . My 13 Charger R/T only ran 14.21 @ 99 . There were Hellcats there also , but apparently they didn't know how to drive them , high 11's / low 12's @ 120 ish is what they were pulling .
Just a thought for the OP and others interested , the Scat Pak models are a cross between the R/T models and the SRT , they give you the 485 HP SRT motor , just not all the rest of the SRT stuff for some pretty decent savings if you want to go that route . The Scat Pak Shaker hood Challengers are sweet looking !!!! Couple friends have those , they ran high 12's bone stock/street tires @ 113 . Very impressive . These can be had for low to mid $40k's .

I bought , in 2009 , a brand new R/T Challenger 5.7 six speed , it was a very fun car , rode awesome , handled better than it looked like it would . Took it to the track , bone stock ran an impressive 13.76 @ 102 ,street tires and all . My 13 Charger R/T only ran 14.21 @ 99 . There were Hellcats there also , but apparently they didn't know how to drive them , high 11's / low 12's @ 120 ish is what they were pulling .
Just a thought for the OP and others interested , the Scat Pak models are a cross between the R/T models and the SRT , they give you the 485 HP SRT motor , just not all the rest of the SRT stuff for some pretty decent savings if you want to go that route . The Scat Pak Shaker hood Challengers are sweet looking !!!! Couple friends have those , they ran high 12's bone stock/street tires @ 113 . Very impressive . These can be had for low to mid $40k's .
Exactly why I have a Scat Pack Charger. Excellent value.

Very good points!!! One of the thing I love about the TR's is the ride and the fact that I fit in them (6'3). When the current gen Camaro came out I sat in one at the Auto Show and there was NO way I would be able to see a stop light unless I pressed my face to the windshield. I don't remember having that problem with the older Fbodys, but i do remember having to pretty much 'fall' into them, and feeling every bump in the road.
Did you sit in a Challenger? I test drove the '13 Camaro ZL1, the Shelby Cobra, and the SRT Challenger. You have to do the face to the windshield thing in the Cobra and Camaro. The Challenger had the most room, the most usable trunk..it's huge! and felt every bit as fast as the ZL1 which had the most hp at the time...fast forward 3 years, a friend has a ZL1, it runs an 8.1-8.4, my Challanger runs 8.3x fairly consistently so its comes down to driver as which is fastest. Oh, all of the F-bodies are low and hard to get in :) I used to drive a '95 TA daily and still have a '99 TA, now I hate getting in and out of it and it's not roomy at all compared to the Chally so I never drive it..in fact it's up for sale now! I think when we were younger we didn't care :)
Everyone makes some very good points in almost every post on here....the OP has a lot to think about :)

I drove by a local car rental place a couple of days ago,it's on the main street to my house so i didn't drive out of my way to see it, and i saw a new Dodge Challenger on their lot it was all black and looked really sharp. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hellcat but still a nice looking car even without the performance. (y)