I'm looking to trade my superclean 92 5.0 in favor for an 87 GN

johnpbf

I've always been a fan of Grand Nationals ever since we used to take our Mustangs out to Englishtown for the 5.0/ Grand National Shootout back in the day. Well, about 2 weeks ago I happened upon an 87 Grand National about 30 minutes away from me, it has 43k original miles, runs and drives great but does need a few things. The paint is in great condition but the problem is that someone painted flames with pin striping on it so it needs a complete respray, it needs the proper exhaust, needs stock wheels, it appears to be lowered but I'm not sure, the headliner is falling down, it needs the stock steering wheel and needs a good sanitizing in the interior, sort of smells like a cat peed in it. I could probably take it off the owner's hands for $11.5k
In your opinion do you think this car is worth the asking price? I would be interested in taking it back to original as possible.

Ever since I took a closer look at and drove the car I have also been looking around for another GN that doesn't need so much work. The problem is that I already have a super clean 1992 Mustang black on black 5.0/ 5 speed notchback with 62k original documented miles sitting in the garage. I am kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Mustang in favor for a nice clean, lower mileage 1987 GN.

Is there anyone here selling or know anyone who is selling their clean, lower mileage GN AND in the market for a pretty rare black on black original 5.0/5 speed notchback? My Mustang is only worth about $12.5k so with any trades would also come some cash in hand, I am in Pittsburgh PA.

Attachments

• black notch4.JPG
    black notch4.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN2582.JPG
    DSCN2582.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN2576.JPG
    DSCN2576.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 82
  • black notch6.JPG
    black notch6.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 76
I would go for the best GN you can afford,hunting down parts for these things is probably not the easiest thing especially coming from Fox plenty land. Having said that the guys buying the cheaper but decent cars and willing to dig in with some elbow grease and know how are the ones going to see a better return.imo.

The notch foxes are in big demand but I dunno,I love both cars and was in your position-I kept mine and got a nice GN,most of my fun time work will go into 5.0's and just polish the GN and pamper it and drive it like I'm a cruisin pimp-love em too.

I would love to have both but I don't think that's going to happen, I only have a two car garage and one of those spots is reserved for my wife's car. I'm willing to put in the work to bring a lower mileage GN back to original as long as it's not too much. You're right, super clean notchback Mustangs are in demand and not that easy to find in good condition, I drove 10 hours round trip to pick this one up.

Here's a picture of the GN I originally looked at.

Attachments

• GN 51 7.jpg
    GN 51 7.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32
  • GN 51 3.jpg
    GN 51 3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 30
I've always been a fan of Grand Nationals ever since we used to take our Mustangs out to Englishtown for the 5.0/ Grand National Shootout back in the day. Well, about 2 weeks ago I happened upon an 87 Grand National about 30 minutes away from me, it has 43k original miles, runs and drives great but does need a few things. The paint is in great condition but the problem is that someone painted flames with pin striping on it so it needs a complete respray, it needs the proper exhaust, needs stock wheels, it appears to be lowered but I'm not sure, the headliner is falling down, it needs the stock steering wheel and needs a good sanitizing in the interior, sort of smells like a cat peed in it. I could probably take it off the owner's hands for $11.5k
In your opinion do you think this car is worth the asking price? I would be interested in taking it back to original as possible..

Hard to tell from those pics. Somebody can correct me here if I'm way off and you may know this already being a car guy anyway: A good paint job-even just a scuff and respray may be 2k, Exhaust is like $600,nice wheels $500+tires,I've seen nos steering wheel for $250ish. Its also a T-Top maybe thats why it smells.The engine looks clean yet totally non original,43K orig mile? I would go over it with a fine tooth comb. I was just thinking there is a reason why its 11k and not 22k-half the price of where you want it to be. Might be a good buy.

Hard to tell from those pics. Somebody can correct me here if I'm way off and you may know this already being a car guy anyway: A good paint job-even just a scuff and respray may be 2k, Exhaust is like $600,nice wheels $500+tires,I've seen nos steering wheel for $250ish. Its also a T-Top maybe thats why it smells.The engine looks clean yet totally non original,43K orig mile? I would go over it with a fine tooth comb. I was just thinking there is a reason why its 11k and not 22k-half the price of where you want it to be. Might be a good buy.

The outter pinstriping of the flames could be removed if it is not cleared over but it's hard to tell, some spots feel like its over the clear and other spots feel like it's under. Inside of the pinstriped flames is another color (kind of purple) that I doubt could be removed easily so I'm thinking the whole car would need a paint job, a buddy quoted me 3k-4k. You're probably right about the smell coming from a leaking T-top, I did see a few drips coming through during the test drive the other day.
Under the hood is pretty clean and it looks like it has some sort of chrome dress up kit including a couple of pipe upgrades. The seller wanted $12.k and only because someone defaced such a beautiful car with flames, without the flames he said he would be asking 18k. And occording to the title it does have 43k original miles, it shows 'actual miles'
Part of me is saying "Just get the car, paint it, get the proper wheels, steering wheel and exhaust, sanitize the interior, fix the headliner and if I can't keep it I shouldn't lose any money on it".
Thanks for your insight thus far.