I'm frustrated Pleae Help!

Yates

I thought when you replace old with new it should work like new....no?
I just replaced my old window motors which were working very slow replaced the D/S hinge pins and I also replaced all my mouldings (belt mouldings,door moulding and roofrail mouldings. Now here is where I am having a problem. Yes they look good,but for some reason my windows will not go all the way up when the door is closed they hit the moulding then stop. Also the windows do not seal perfect on the new moulding. I understand the car may be a little out since it is a race car, but the old stuff was fine just ugly.
Is there some kind of adjustment to the window which will push it in towards the moulding? I am frustrated because I just spent the money to fix the problem and now i have more. Also what aire is the one that needs to be replaced on the window motor that causes them to slow down? Any help or suggestions I would appreciate.

What rubber mouldings? GM? Aftermarket? There are adjustments for them but dont ask me how they do it? Also I think??? the main power feed wire is a tad small & gets upgraded as well. Think Kirban sells/sold a kit for that. He also sells a book on exactly how to adjust your windows so they fit perfect. Might be good for you to read.

By "moldings" do you mean weatherstripping??? If so, is the new weatherstrip of the SofSeal brand?? If so, There's not much you can do about that. SofSeal is the worst replacement brand available. It's extremely hard and wont compress like the soft OEM stuff, and does not allow the windows to close properly.

Great I just spent the money and now I learn Soffseal is the worst. Arghh
I thought Soffseal had a great reputation for their products. Oh well where can I find this book. Also How much of the red wire do I have to replace or which wire is the one that needs replacing, Can't find it on Kirban any ideas?

check in the restoration forum. THis has been discussed. I believe it takes a little for them to "form" I'm sure there is some adjustment needed with the 20 year old tracks and rollers and what not. Damn, I'm dreading doing ALL my seals if I ever get that far, I definitely can't afford GM. You guys are gonna give me nightmares:(

The motors are not really the problem the wiring and the amount of voltage is what makes them slow.

Dont freak out yet! I installed soft seal years ago & true they arent as perfect as OEM but with proper adjustments & some time to form fit mine are not bad at all. Only time some water will come in is if I hold a power washer in 1 spot & other than that 1 area they are fine.

Why can't they get these seals dead on? difference in compounds or what? Isn't rubber just rubber? I would think Jeep tops would be more difficult to produce than rubber seals:confused:

Isn't rubber just rubber? :confused:

Not really. Depends on the density. Huge differences. If you doubt it, just take a piece of soffseal in your hands and squeeze/nead it compared to the oem stuff that's on the car. There are plenty of other choices out there as for manufacturers. At work right now so don't have the links.

I'll tell ya guys, if I was to even fathom the notion of spending 600 bucks or more for seals the wife would have my b@lls and get rid of my car:eek: Well I got till the end of summer to find some. There's gotta be some good aftermarket seals out there. We're not all doctors and lawyers:rolleyes:

The windows on my 86 went from REAL Slow to only working when they wanted to! I replaced the switch on the driver's side and the speed of the window went from horribly slow to darn right FAST....(atleast it seems fast!). I thought I was going to have to replace the window motor. How often do you have repairs that are easier and less expensive than you thought!!!

The brand I've been using is Metro SuperSoft. I just got a set for my 84 Z28, and they feel EXACTLY like the OEM stuff. Slightly pricier than the others, but not as bad as OEM.

So I guess if I want to see what my window motors are capable of I should hook them up directly to a 12 volt source, and if this works get that wiring kit I hear people talking about? My windows aren't really that slow just dont have enough power to close window all the way on the weatherstripping.