IHRA Amalie Oil Nationals

JoyOf6

Maybe irrelevant as it's non-Buick, but I'm on track for entering the Amalie Oil Nationals (Top Sportsman class with my blown car) at Dallas Raceway May 29-31. Just have to install my freshened Powerglide and make sure it and the tranny brake's all functional again later this week. I've already missed some Divisional events and am woefully underprepared but may as well have some fun. The car's up to it and should easily crack the qualified field... just hope I don't screw up :redface:

I saw a report of great 1/8th mile Pro Mod times Sunday but apparently no 1/4 runs. Wonder if there's a chance the event will back off from anticipated 1/4-mile and run 1/8th? Haven't heard anything YET.

Art
How are you? I know you have not had this car out much but would like to know how it is running. Any times from the Abilene track?

Maybe irrelevant as it's non-Buick, but I'm on track for entering the Amalie Oil Nationals (Top Sportsman class with my blown car) at Dallas Raceway May 29-31. Just have to install my freshened Powerglide and make sure it and the tranny brake's all functional again later this week. I've already missed some Divisional events and am woefully underprepared but may as well have some fun. The car's up to it and should easily crack the qualified field... just hope I don't screw up :redface:

I saw a report of great 1/8th mile Pro Mod times Sunday but apparently no 1/4 runs. Wonder if there's a chance the event will back off from anticipated 1/4-mile and run 1/8th? Haven't heard anything YET.

Good luck on the event, I hope it all works out well for ya. I may try to come out and watch if your going to be there.

As far as the track, they finally had opening night this past Thursday and all of the racing was free. The first pair down the track one of the cars wrecked on the top end of the track and they shut it down to 1/8 mile the rest of the night. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not?

The website doesn't say anything? .: Dallas Raceway - Crandall, Tx :.
Email sammy@dallasraceway.com

Hi Art - I will look for you while I am out there and say hello. I should be there with my father who should be running Top Dragster at this event. Even though it is not a Buick, for those of us not familiar with it, care to share some details on your car? :cool:

Hi back to all, here's the long version of things:

Ron - Things are OK. I got a better hauler recently. I got out once to Abilene. First hit, car left hard, then spun and moved a little left about 1 second out so I lifted. Second hit, blew the tires away right off the line so I lifted. At least I'm getting better at lifting. I dropped tire p. a bit for the next run: burnout, back up, stage, but tranny brake only held Reverse so I footbraked it. The engine died shortly off the line and I barely coasted to the turnoff. The mechanical fuel pump sucked air and lost prime (screws holding pump cover loosened). The linings of the 1st gear clutches were worn, front pump clearance was unacceptable, there were signs of extremely hot fluid and brake activator "piston" was stuck.

David - I saw the thread on the wreck on the LSPBC mailing list. Then I heard that Pro Mods were running strong 1/8th mile times again the next day. I was wondering if they had made a 1/8th mile decision. The web site doesn't say anything about it though. Maybe I'll see you there...

Carl - I started this thread about the car in late 2006 and added updates to late 2008:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/196462-my-next-slug.html#post1384338

In brief, it's a McAmis '68 Camaro 25.1 chassis with an F3R-Procharged and intercooled Sunset 555" aluminum BBC running a FAST on gas. See you there assuming no glitches with the tranny.

Art

Well there email addy is no good (that I listed above) I sent them a email and it came back?

I'll try and call them, I was interested in maybe some TnT this weekend if it is 1/4 mile racing. If I get a answer I'll post up.

So, did anyone who raced or attended the race have any thoughts on the facility and its personnel?
Will this be a new venue or just another ennis?

Just curious.

I have heard they are offering $20 a car load to get in. I guess attendance has been a little thin?

I know Carl (supercpa) was out there as well maybe he'll chime in...

So, did anyone who raced or attended the race have any thoughts on the facility and its personnel?
Will this be a new venue or just another ennis?

Just curious.
My father was out there for this event and did not do as well as planned. However, he said that the track surface was really beginning to come around and felt good about the track. As with any new facility, there were a few glitches. In contrast, the parking area was a dream, the restrooms are nice and there is a stocked pond out in the back forty available for fishing if you have some down time. An interesting thing I noticed was that in the evening, the starting line is shaded from the western sunset by the equipment building on that side. That should help the drivers judge the tree better than some other tracks at that same time of the day. That's a pretty ingenious idea if it was designed that way on purpose. I don't envision Crandall becoming just another Ennis. From Fort Worth, the drive is to Ennis is easier; from Dallas, Crandall is closer. I believe Crandall has the potential to become the more friendly of the two. Time will tell IMO.