Ignition switch replacement on column, 1987 TR

GNRick

Retired member
Occasionally when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. No starter click, no fuel pump whining, nothing. Then after about 1/2 second the car starts normally. The car has 215,000 miles so things are starting to wear a little bit. I'm thinking it is the ignition switch with the rod from the key switch. I purchased a new switch so I would know what to look for. I looked up from under the dash but couldn't find it. Should I drop the steering column and if so, whould I be sitting in the driver's seat and then just reach over and remove the switch? Or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Haven't done the GN, but older G body cars, drop the column, it will be on top. Unbolt, remove wire connector and rod, reverse to replace.

Haven't done the GN, but older G body cars, drop the column, it will be on top. Unbolt, remove wire connector and rod, reverse to replace.
Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear! And within 5 minutes of posting the question, too.

They are not to bad to do. They have to be adjusted when installed . It just slides back and fourth on column a little

That's more or less it. I did one on the side of the road ones in about an hour, if it was that long.

That's more or less it. I did one on the side of the road ones in about an hour, if it was that long.
It took me an hour just to button everything up! Previous owner had to replace the column due to an attempted theft. Ignition switch was held on with a phillips screw in the middle position. Had to use a mirror to figure that out. Never could get the screw in at the back to hold the dimmer switch to the new ignition switch bracket. Everything works fine, although the new switch has a more firm feel to it than the old switch. Even tried prying the switch up with a long screw driver to make sure it wasn't squishing the actuator rod.

Did it fix the delay you were experiencing ?
I've tested it a few times and it works fine. I hope that fixed the problem. However the delay happened maybe 1 out of 10 turns of the key, so only time will tell. Funny thing, I drove from Illinois to Bowling Green and then on to Fla., then back to Illinois with no problems. After letting the car sit in the garage for a few days, and the outside temp got down to 28 degrees, the delay occured. Maybe coincidence, maybe temperature related, don't know.