Ignition switch/column issue

MeanBuicks

Scaring the neighbors!
My ignition switch has decided it's not going to let go of my key. :eek:

Actually, it won't turn back out of the run position to off or accessory. It will go forward into the start position and the P/N interlock still functions by preventing the cylinder from rotating to start when the shifter is not in park or neutral.

Any idea as to what is causing this? :confused:

Not sure of the correct nomenclature or how to fix it, BUT, if you crawl under the car you'll see a rod that attaches to the tranny cable. If you jiggle it a bit you might be able to disengage the lock and remove your key. You can also access the rod from underneath the hood.

HTH :confused:

I had that once, and it was the lock itself. I had to replace it. Took about 15 minutes, and that included removing it form the parts car in the back yard. (Wheel was already off) Hopefully it is just the rod going to the tranny though.

Had a similar problem on my Silverado. It would work fine for a while and then it would act up.:mad: Turned out it was the ignition cylinder itself. It could be that, or worse the rack inside the column. Had the column rebuilt in the GN a bit ago, replaced the ign. cylinder.

Looks like you'll be going into the column. But Id try wiggling the base to see if that'll get the key out.

Column, Lower Bowl

Make Sure Floor Shifter Is All The Way In Park. At The Base Of The Column,against The Dash-plate Bezel, Turn The Lower Bowl Counter-clockwise, This Should Take The Presure Off Of The Ign. There Is An Adjustment Under The Car(13mm Bolt) In Your Trans Shift Rod, This Adjustment May Be Out. I Would Try This First Prior To Goin Into The Column, Let Us Know How You Make Out With This, If You Have To Go Into The Column, I Can Give You Some Directions..(i've Had A Few Hundred Apart) Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the help folks.

I've messed around with the shifter and the collar by the dash but this thing will not even come out of the run position. Even if a vehicle is in gear a properly operating cylinder should turn back to off. It just wouldn't go to the lock position until the shifter is in P/N.

It's really looking like I'll have to dig in.

Even if a vehicle is in gear a properly operating cylinder should turn back to off. It just wouldn't go to the lock position until the shifter is in P/N.

It's really looking like I'll have to dig in.

I'm not sure if that's true. No G-Body I've ever owned could do that...

Hmmm. I think you guys are confusing 'off' with 'lock'. There is an ignition cylinder position between 'lock' (position where the key can be removed) and 'run' where the vehicle power is off but the steering wheel and shifter are free to move. That's what I mean by 'off'.

Say your throttle stuck open as you were accelerating along a freeway on ramp. You have the option of turning the key to 'off' to kill the engine at speed without placing the shifter in park or having your steering wheel lock.

Anyhow, for future reference my issue was solved by installing a new ignition cylinder. The old key is still stuck in the original cylinder. Once removed, it looked to be falling apart internally as I could see the ends of some of the brass tumblers that appeared out of place.

I am having a similar problem. This all started when I put new body bushings on my 86 and raised the body off the frame. What I have to do is move the steering column at the base where it goes into the dash before I can get the key to come out. I believe mine problem is some type of adjustment issue because it does not do it all the time. If any one has a suggestion that could help it would be great.

Thanks Andy