If you have mitral valve prolapse..read this

SMS

I used to take antibiotics before having my teeth cleaned per my doctors direction. Well, it seems as though recently the guidelines have changed, and patients are no longer required to take the antibiotics. To this new guideline I say "BULL****!" Take those things! I just spent 4 days in the hospital with Endocarditis, and actually had some bacterial growth on my mitral valve as seen by by my TEE (trans esophageal echocardiogram) I am looking at 4 weeks of Rocephin IV's and was the sickest I have been in my adult life. I also may have further damaged my valve and it may need to be replaced in the future. I had my teeth cleaned around the middle/end of Jan and the bacteria identified in my blood culture was a Streptococcus variant commonly found in the mouth. I thought it was just the Flu or something, but after 12 days I still had a fever. So be warned, if you have MVP, and start an unexplained fever for more than a few days, see your Doc promptly.

Steve

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I have MVP and had heard about how they no longer require the pre-med. Guess I'll keep taking it.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I have MVP and had heard about how they no longer require the pre-med. Guess I'll keep taking it.
Actually,you are correct. The American Heart Association guidelines have been changed. They only recommend antibiotics if you have an artificial valve, have had Endocarditis, or have additional heart problems besides MVP. I guess I should have consulted with my Doc after the Dentist told me I didn't need them anymore. There is not really any proof that the teeth cleaning is what caused my deal, just seems as the the timing of the illness pointed in that direction.
Ultimately, I guess my point would be to consult with your Doc before making a decision weather to take them or not. Also if you start an unexplained fever that won't go away see your Doc also.

:eek: :eek: Good grief man, I hope you get too feeling better soon.
We will keep you in our prayers.

Patrick & Tracey

Sorry to hear that Steve...hope you get better. I've been sick for the past 3 weeks and I'm finally getting better. I think I had some sort of superbug because I had some sort of baterial infection for the longest time. The anti-biotics I was taking didn't even help.

PATRICK! you need to call me...:D