If you don't have slicks, your missing out. New best times!!!!

Addicted2boost

SUCK, SQUISH, BANG, BLOW
Alittle over a month ago I bought new MT Drags. I was tired of not hooking up at the track on bald Nitto DR's. The first time out I did alittle burnout and as soon as I launched I blew #1 headgasket. Yesterday (3/20) I have everything ready to rock and the car is running stronger than ever. The time I got before the hg went on my Nitto's were 8.29 and a 2.07 60' (no mph times that night but were somewhere around 88). Last night I just bolted on the slicks and ran in 1/8 and a 1.68 60' 7.52 et @91.85 mph. I about fell over dead when I saw my timeslip. When I ran that 8.29, that was last december when it was cooler too. It was about 70* last night. The only thing I did differently from that 8.2 run was turned alky, boost and fuel pressure up alittle from 17#s to 20#'s of boost and added my power plate. I did see about 9.4 of KR on the 20#'s though. So I backed the boost down on the way home last night. I don't have inner tubes with my slicks. Do I REALLY need them? Or is it for cars with better 60' times? I can only hold 7#'s boost on my launch because my brakes push me through the lights.

Great times:D It would have been a bunch better without 9.4º of knock. Why so much? FWIW racing on a pump gas chip will blow your motor up in short order. Most street chips don't have enough DC to lay down the numbers. What 02's or EGT did you have?

hmmmm how about a street chip witrh race gas??? :) ya slicks wake a car up quick!!!

yep, slicks are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle if you want to go fast...

you don't need tubes...just check the pressure regularly

if you start spinning the tires on the rim, you may need rim screws

if you use tubes, by all means use rim screws also

Originally posted by Intercooler
Great times:D It would have been a bunch better without 9.4º of knock. Why so much? FWIW racing on a pump gas chip will blow your motor up in short order. Most street chips don't have enough DC to lay down the numbers. What 02's or EGT did you have?

I need to get another wastegate solenoid. I have my BstC turned all the way up and have the heavy duty actuator turned in alittle more than I want. So I need the dual solenoid to adjust in car more. It has the ATR dp and the puck is starting to stick again. I remember that it didn't stick as much when I was breaking in the engine and when I was running low boost. So the reason for the KR is because it had boost creep and it was boosting to 22-23 #'s and I then settled down to 20#'s like I originally wanted. So when the 2nd wastegate solenoid goes in, I can back out the actuator rod and "hopefully" not have anymore creep.

BTW, how can I possibly blow up a motor in short order if I'm in street trim minus the slicks? I just have a boost creep problem giving me KR.

Originally posted by Addicted2boost
BTW, how can I possibly blow up a motor in short order if I'm in street trim minus the slicks? I just have a boost creep problem giving me KR.

KR = detonation

detonation = death

Maybe not immediate death, but it is a sure-fire way to kill your engine. I tune for 0 knock, on the street and at the track. IMO, If you have any KR whatsoever you are doing something wrong and need to make some changes. It doesn't matter whether you are in street trim or not, detonation is bad for the motor, period.

To bad that car was in front of me on the expressway are I would have showed you a turbo t's taillights ha ha!. Excellent run when you pulled the rail car out of the hole.I am recording your run on to a vcr tape so you can check it out.

Hate to say it, but I had the same problem with the wastegate flapper sticking on my ATR downpipe. Mine was sticking open at half track. The car would immediately fall on its face. There's not enough clearance in the flapper, so once you get carbon build-up, it sticks all the time. Do yourself a favor and get a Terry Houston dp. It'll save you a lot of aggrivation and your head gaskets.

Originally posted by azgn
yep, slicks are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle if you want to go fast...

you don't need tubes...just check the pressure regularly

if you start spinning the tires on the rim, you may need rim screws

if you use tubes, by all means use rim screws also

Casey, if you want to screw your slicks down i know a guy that will do it for 10$.....i had mine done last week.....he did a good job....i was going to do it myself but i didnt want to screw my rims up.

I don't have slicks, and I AM missing out! Got plenty of engine, reasonably good suspension, but tons of wheel spin at the track. It's just too hard to drive this combo well without good traction. With the helmet on (req'd at Carlsbad Raceway) I am so isolated from the normal car sounds I don't even know I'm spinning until I notice the speedo going up and down like crazy. I felt like I was driving on marbles yesterday at the track. :( Spin off the line, spin at the 1-2 shift, spin at the 2-3 shift. No Good.