If the GNX/TTA's were the fastest production cars of the 80's, what car won the 90's?

the 'z06' of the 90's would be the zr-1 corvettes, with the LT-5 DOHC v8. easy low 12 sec cars, and i've heard rumors that a heads up comparison of a NEW 2002 z06, and a zr-1, the early 90's zr-1 is faster in a straight line.

Originally posted by twizz
the 'z06' of the 90's would be the zr-1 corvettes, with the LT-5 DOHC v8. easy low 12 sec cars, and i've heard rumors that a heads up comparison of a NEW 2002 z06, and a zr-1, the early 90's zr-1 is faster in a straight line.

Umm.......not the few i've seen at the track. They ran in the high 12, low 13 sec range. A new Z06 will spank a ZR-1 all things considered. I think you would have to give the Viper GTS the nod as the 90's hot ride (although $70k is a LOT of $$$). I've rode in my brother-in-laws many times(97 GTS), and the performance is unreal for being mostly stock(K&N's simple mods).

i assume you are speaking of domestics, because the McLaren F1 had the title as far as I knew.

Most likely the Viper. The fastested published ET's for ZR1's were in the high 12-low 13 second range. The Vipers were generally good for solid mid 12's with much higher trap speeds.

I think this shows us how lucky we are. Everyone is posting cars from the 90s that cost in the $50,000-$70,000 price range. Our cars in 1987 were $16,000-$17,000.

I was thinking the same thing. In the 80's for 20k you could have the fastest car available from Detroit. In the 90's you needed to have 75k to have the fastest car available.

Makes you realize how rare and special the whole 3.8 turbo engine was

TTA stickered at $31,000, GNX $29,000 (though GNX's were usually upped 2-3k +). I believe most went for around 35k. Pontiac dealers tried the same trick with the TTA but they weren't as successful. Some buyers paid over sticker when they first came out but the car didn't move so quickly. When the dealers realized the cars weren't moving they started to go below sticker in some cases.

Fully optioned, t-tops, pw, ps, pl, pb, elec seat, concert sound, factory posi, and alarm along with cruise control and remote trunk.
Is your engine giving you any problems with bad seals? I've always heard that low milage cars have dried out seals.

Sounds good, I wonder if it was a late production model like mine. I decoded my option sticker and it showed NO carpet savers were ordered. I thought this curious and checked the build date on the driver's door which indicated 12/87. Late model GN runs came with specific options/omitions like the carpet savers. That means mine was made the last month of GN production. The last 6 on my vin is: 464863. I did further checking in Kirban's Guide to 1986-87 Turbo Regals and found mine to be somewhere around 400 units from the very last Regal made in 1987. According to him that included NON turbo models as well.

I've heard the stories about low mileage cars and dry-rotting of seals, but my car is just fine. Starts and drives like the day it was made. I feel it has to do with WHERE it was stored. Mine was stored in a dealer's showroom roped off from public hands.

You plan on driving yours at all?

Welcome to the LMC! (Low Mileage Club)

Don't forget the '98 Civic....mild mannered, stock....but add that fart can....easy ten second car!

Originally posted by whitehot84
Not without the stickers.:D
Sheesh, c'mon guys. You can't forget the carbon fibre hood and 10' wing...boy o boy. Instant 9 second car (in the 1/8 mile that is).