If my GN were to get stolen... how much would insurance pay?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Hey guys.... I have an '87 GN ex-theft recovery with a clean title. It is coming along nicely. I hope to have it painted soon. I opted for full coverage auto insurance from State Farm in case it were to (GOD-forbid) get stolen again. If this were to happen.... what would insurance pay? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing by opting for full coverage. I don't want to be empty handed if it were to happen. What value do they look at? What about extras... if you have receipts? I would me majorly pissed if I get my car painted.... and it got stolen... and insurance offered me $1500 for my car......

Get an appraisal or youll have a fight on your hands w/insurance co.Keep alot of pictures and receipts.be smart where you park it.

Thats Why I Got Haggerty Collector Car Insurance Less Premiums And Stated Value 20k On Payoff

Stolen isnt the only worry,What if someone hits you?Parts for these cars are getting harder and harder to find new,good used parts arent easy either.The ones found costs.Cover your butt,watch where you leave it and insure properly.

Why don't you just ask your insurance company? They are the only ones that can answer that question correctly. Then if you are not happy with the answer, you can discuss the actual value with them. Better to do it now, before something happens, than waiting until something does happen, and try to argue about your coverage then. Make sure you save all of the receipts, and you probably would be better off with an appraisal.

How did you only get $1500 for your 87. My comprehensive insurance from allstate said my 84 GN is valued @ $4k.... :eek: h

84GNwith87eng said:
How did you only get $1500 for your 87. My comprehensive insurance from allstate said my 84 GN is valued @ $4k.... :eek: h

It was a hypothetical situation. I was just saying "What if?"

INSURANCE & RECOVERY

In Response To Your Question ,most Insurance Companies Are Going To Xxxxx You ,i Have A 87 Gn Which Also Is A Theft Recovery With A Salvage Title ,even Though It Was Stolen And Only The Interior Was Missing .it Has A Salvage Title (to Me Thats Just A Word On A Piece Of Paper ,the Car Is Not And Never Will Be For Sale) I Contacted An Insurance Company (condon&skelly) I Explained To Them About The Title Issue And ,also That Over The Course Of 3 Yrs I Replaced Everything In This Car That I Possibly Could And It Is An On Going Project ,they Were Aware Of The Value Of This Car ,and That Its Value Increases As Time Goes By. So This Is What We Came Up With.they Insured The Car At An Agreed Value(a Figure That You Give Them Based On What The Vehicle Is Worth At That Time) No Appraisal Was Necessary If The Agreed Value Was In Reason.(they Base It On :what You Could Sell The Car For Today:we Also Had An Agreed Limit On How Many Miles You Drive It A Year ,where You Drive It ....i E To Work Shopping Etc All Of Which I Never Do (if You Want To Keep Your Gn Keep Your Eyes On It )they Also Require That You Keep It In A Locked (secured)building .....your Garage ..also You Have The Same Liability Insurance On Other Vehicles You Have That Are Not Insured With Them .you Must Show You Have Other Transportation.also You Have A Mileage Limitation (that You Choose Based On Your Usage Of The Car) Myself Is 5000 Miles Per Year That Is 96 Miles Per Week Thats Alot I Drove My Gn 330 Miles In 3 Years They Have Some Limitations That You Have To Agree To Such As ,show Use ,pleasure Driving , No Racing(drag Strips )etc I Dont Know What Your Intentions Are For Your Gn But To Keep It Nice I Drive It Very Little You Could Consider It A Trailer Queen .anyway I Was Very Impressed With The Figure That We Came Up With 20k And That Could Change At My Discretion If I Wanted (for Added Security I Had A Lo Jack System Installed 740.00 Installed And Thats It No Monthly Fees The Yearly Premium Was Less Than 300.00 Thats About 26.00 A Month Full Coverage (with The Limitation We Both Agreed Upon I Live In Las Vegas Were Insurance Is Out Of Site Was 90.00 A Month Liability Only. Im 40 Yrs Old No Tickets Or Prior Claims ..ifthis Kind Of Insurance Interests You Or Any Other Turbo Buick Owner You Can Reach Them Online At Condon&skelly .com They Do However Require You Pay A Years Premium At One Time But At Less Then 300.00 Annually Thats Not Bad .also I Did Explain To Them That My Gn Has A Salvage Title And That Was Not An Issue As Most Gn"s Out There Have Been Stolen One Time Or Another .good Luck On Your Insurance Problem And Remember If You Keep Your Gn In Your Sights Your More Likely To Never Need To Talk To Your Insurance Agent

I was just at a car meeting with a local club and we had an appraiser there. He has appraised over 600 cars from $2000 up to $500,000. He said that the only way to go is to get an AGREED value for your car. All the others, Stated, full coverage, ect. WILL NOT get you what your car is worth if it gets totaled out or stolen. AGREED VALUE is the way to go!!!

insurance

I also second an agreed value. I would recommend Hagerty. I have an 85 T-Type, sight unseen, they set an agreed value through blue book at 8K. If you want more than what they feel is reasonable, then they ask for appraisals.

t-typex1 said:
I also second an agreed value. I would recommend Hagerty. I have an 85 T-Type, sight unseen, they set an agreed value through blue book at 8K. If you want more than what they feel is reasonable, then they ask for appraisals.

What are your premiums? Mine is running around $45/month for full coverage.... not sure on the deductables.....

Looks like mine is going to get painted in the next few weeks.... after I get it back together.....I'll definately look into the agreed upon value.... I would prefer to have an agreed upon value for my exact car in stock form (without the bolt-on upgrades).... and we both agree what that value is... and they agree that the "extras" I have purchased will increase the value..... I plan on keeping all me receipts..... (so far this is probably twice what I paid for the theft recovery car itself.....)

premiums

My car is an 85, so it qualifies as a classic (20 yrs old). I pay $315 a yr. 87 owners have to wait until 2007 for that

When mine got keyed a few years back the insurance company (can't remember who) valued it at $2500. By the time I bought it back I got $1000.

My 1987 GN was stolen on 2-1-04

I bought it new , I allways had full coverage and plus some extra.
I had to show every reciept, plus pictures, they don't care about extras .
Mine was all stock, before I sent all my papers to the ajuster they offered $ 2500
I laughted at her. Well it was found August of 05, I saw it for the first time on 8-27-05 sence it was stolen it really made me sick, I can't say much more
because it is going to court , but I can tell you this it was right here in town where I live he changed the vin too. Doe's anyone know what happened to the Webshots website, that is where my pictures are displayed when it was stolen . After court is over I'll tell more . They don't pay you you enough, the ins co. has the car now whats left of it.

peggy

GrandNational3 said:
I was just at a car meeting with a local club and we had an appraiser there. He has appraised over 600 cars from $2000 up to $500,000. He said that the only way to go is to get an AGREED value for your car. All the others, Stated, full coverage, ect. WILL NOT get you what your car is worth if it gets totaled out or stolen. AGREED VALUE is the way to go!!!

Just a note- Stated Vaue and Agreed Value mean the same in insurance matters (I'm a marine insurance agent). Both terms denote that depreciation is not a factor in the valuation of the property if and when a total loss occurs. "Full coverage" simply denotes that comprehensive and collision coverage are included in the policy.

At the same time, as the value of our cars increases, it's only prudent to keep the proper documentation regarding value updated and readily available. This can include buyer's guides, auction results sheets, noted periodicals with cars for sale (like Hemmings), etc. Receipts for what was paid for the car, repairs/upgrades done, etc, can be used to support a repair argument, but the idea is to establish solid valuation in the eyes of the insurance company- this is where a professional appraisal is invaluable.

Hope this helps!

Just to let everyone know, JC Taylor considers a 19 year old vechicle as an antique which allowed me to insure my 87 GN for less than $250 per year for an agreed value.