If it has to have a V6 under the hood

If the camaro 3.6 is making 323hp then that 4.3 engine better be another 50hp

I have a feeling it is set up for torque.
I am guessing 350HP rating.

You're probably right, John

Cal,

I heard they are targeting the ecoboost customers from Ford.
The Ford motor makes: 365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 420 lb·ft (569 N·m) @2500 rpm
Do you think it is possible to make that torque NA with 4.3 liters?

Ok, I think I was confused, it might be the 5.3 that is targeting the Ecoboost...

why do they even keep the V6 around?
when the cylinder deactivation kicks in, the 5.3 is a "smaller" engine than the V6 and it has more power when running on all cylinders than the 6.

why do they even keep the V6 around?
when the cylinder deactivation kicks in, the 5.3 is a "smaller" engine than the V6 and it has more power when running on all cylinders than the 6.

Because in the mind of your average consumer a V8 will burn more fuel than a V6 and a 4 cylinder will use the least amount of fuel. V8s are for people that want to drive fast and race. The 4 cylinder is too slow, the V6 will let you merge without being ran over by a semi.
Take away that V6 option and sales will plummet.

It does have cylinder cut off. That powertrain with twin turbos could be really fun. Imagine that with a 6 speed auto all controlled by the ECM.

Because in the mind of your average consumer a V8 will burn more fuel than a V6 and a 4 cylinder will use the least amount of fuel. V8s are for people that want to drive fast and race. The 4 cylinder is too slow, the V6 will let you merge without being ran over by a semi.
Take away that V6 option and sales will plummet.
So you're saying most people can't grasp the idea of cylinder deactivation? It isn't to complicated. Sometimes you run on 8, sometimes your run on 4.

So you're saying most people can't grasp the idea of cylinder deactivation? It isn't to complicated. Sometimes you run on 8, sometimes your run on 4.

No, I think he's meaning a V6 is a nice blend between an I4 & V8. It has enough power to please MOST, and better fuel economy than a V8.

The DOD in my opinion is a joke. My Silverado has it, and unless you're on a basicly flat interstate, not loaded down, it gets no better mileage than a V8 that's always hitting on all eight.

The only time my truck has gotten over 17 mpg was on an interstate trip of 300+ miles

Yes there will be cylinder deactivation (Lifter Oil Management Assembly, aka, LOMA ) on Gen V V6's , V8's and soon on the corvette motor but not sure which one. We build the V8 LOMA at GM in Rochester NY.:D I think the V6 is going to be made in Mexico.:( We do make the Gen V V8 & V6 manifolds (3 piece injection molded). We vibration weld the three pieces together , install all threaded inserts with induction heating & pressing them into the plastic. Other pieces are spin welded on then assemble the throttle body to the manifold . This is the equipment I work on. We also make all of the fuel injectors in our clean room. Sam

It does have cylinder cut off. That powertrain with twin turbos could be really fun. Imagine that with a 6 speed auto all controlled by the ECM.

Reminds me a little of my wifes 2012 turbo 6 cylinder Mustang. GM just needs to give us variable cam timing for quicker spool up :)

Cal,

The HF V6 will have a twin turbo variant in the ATS and CTS.
In addition there are serious talks of an alpha based Buick.
I would love to see you get your hands on one of these.

Just bought the wife a Lincoln MKS with the Ecoboost and AWD.

She rides Pretty and scoots to boot :D