If Alchy is corrosive to aluminum then why doesn’t it corrode the up pipe, throttle b

wh1-Denver

If Alchy is corrosive to aluminum then why doesn’t it corrode the up pipe, throttle body, upper plenum, intake, and aluminum heads? Is it because it is in intermittent, short durations, and a fine mist?:confused:
I like the idea of it keeping the top end steam cleaned to prevent carbon deposits from building up and causing hot spot detonation.
:D

I've beem wondering about that too. I've been putting off boring out my throttle body for fear of what the water/alky would do to the bare aluminum.

wh1-Denver, Yeah it's what you think. The gas, and lubricants just wash it out in a short time. Actually it's a great way to steam clean the carbon build-up out of the engine...:)

Turbo Tim, How does gas and lubricants wash out the up pipe, throttle body, plenum, RJC plate and intake? Aren't the injectors after all that? Are you referring to an additive that is being put into the alchy? Like Klotz or Marvel mystery Oil? If you are mixing alchy with water then maybe the water is helping get rid of the corrosiveness. I would think that you couldn’t put any oil base additive into a alchy/water mix since oil and water will stay separate.

wh1-Denver, You are making me crazy..:)

You and I don't need to know how the corrosion doesn't happen - it just doesn't happen and isn't a problem! ;)

True water oil, and alchy don't normally mix but the Klotz, and even WD 40 (BTW the WD stands for water displacement, and that product has been around since 1912, same year as Coca-Cola I believe) mix ok with it. Maybe the vibration, or the fact the mix gets heated to about 100 degrees from the engine compartment heat causes this to happen, I don't know.

Again it isn't a problem...;)

BTW RedRegalT doesn't mix anything with his DIY system. SMC wants you to put a little in for the pump motor. I use a half cap of Klotz. Half of that might even be fine. The less the better...

IMHO it takes several hours of immersion for any corrosion to take place, this is why forgetting to drain your alky system on your race car the next day doesn't always cost you $1000. Just don't leave it there all week.
I've also heard that anything in the meth (including water) reduces the corrosion quite a bit, so the mix helps.