Idles rough and wants to die when you give it gas

John Griffin

Just replaced my head gaskets and put my 87GN back together. When I took it for a test drive it drove good for about 2 miles then just fell on its face everytime I would give it any gas, was able to idle it home. Idles ok when its cold and then will start to idle crappy and die. I cant find any vacuum leaks, and it is pulling a code 33 (mass air flow sensor high) I have ordered a new LT1 maf but just want to see if there are any ideas you guys might have.

Scanmaster readings at idle
o2 882
af 07
L8 44
Int 128
Bl 121
Clt 168
Ats 78
Tps .42
Iac 13

the car runs better when the maf is disconnected and the connections look good and clean... this is my first turbo car i have always had older cars before this so when you say cooler connections what exactly do i need to be looking at?

After a head gasket change, there are so many things that could have been missed or overlooked. Start with double checking all your work. If it happens only when it warms up, that may be some kind of a clue. I'm just not sure what. Intake? Hoses? Intercooler clamps? Plentum? Throttle body?

Just start looking over it good before you through parts at it.

I have been checking and rechecking... not saying I have not missed something. It doesnt always happen when its warm i would say about 75% of the time it happens after about 1 minute of idling, i was fairly lucky to take the scanmaster readings when it got that warm. The part that confuses me is that i let it warm up intially and burp the cooling system for about 15 min before taking it out. I would have thought that a problem would have occurred before i started driving it.

I hate throwing parts at any vehicle... just not sure what else it can be. Is there a way to check the maf to see if it is good?

Cooler connections are the rubber couplings between the turbo and intercooler and other 2 on up pipe.

Maf pipe conection at the maf and turbo are other spots to take a close look at.

Cooler connections are the rubber couplings between the turbo and intercooler and other 2 on up pipe.

Maf pipe conection at the maf and turbo are other spots to take a close look at.

All those clamps are nice and tight. I didnt see any tears/rips... Will spraying those areas with carb cleaner tell me if there is a leak?

Sounds like the MAF. Is there anyone close to you that runs a stock MAF maybe you can switch it out and see?