idle speed

JaBoT

Ok, i'm having trouble setting my idle. I have it set in the chip for 750, but in reality in park it's between 1100 and 1000 and in drive it's between 1000 and 900.
I have the min air set to 650 rpm. Also no matter where I set the min air setting my iac's never go below 40.

I don't think so, but I will check it tomorow. I have been known to be wrong from time to time:)

Ok, I readjusted the idle airscrew and the tps between .42 and .44. It actually becomes worse. It not only idles high but the idle goes up and down between 1100 and 900.
So I decided to play around a bit. I noticed that when the tps is set around .50 - .59 the idle becomes smoother and will stay around 900 rpm. Regardless of the position of the idle airscrew!
Any ideas on what could cause this?

Also when the car is cold the idle goes right down to where it is when it's hot and the car will stall until it's warmed up.

You've got everything whacked out, thinking that that screw your adjusting is for idle speed. It is not. It is the "minumum air bleed screw" and is used to maintain correct IAC (Idle Air Control) numbers.

Here's what you do. Assuming you have a scan tool that will read IAC.

First of all let's baseline everything. Turn the screw so that only 1/2 to 1 thread is showing through on the front side of the boss it's mounted in. Then adjust the idle TPS for .40

Now check IAC with engine warmed and idling in park. Does it read between 15-25?? If not it can be adjusted.

If it's lower than 10, turn the screw CCW 1/4 turn at a time to get the desired numbers above, you will notice a slight change in idle speed, but it will come back to normal. IMPORTANT, at this point also adjust the TPS back to .40 (It will have moved away from .40)

If however your IAC is higher than 30 and needs to be reduced a little, you can turn the screw CW in 1/4 turn incraments to get into the values stated earlier. IMPORTANT, at this point, adjust the TPS to get it back to .40 (adjusting the IAC moves it)

As you can see, adjusting IAC and TPS affect each other. It's a little tedeous, but when they are both adjusted properly, the rewards will be worth it.

Forget the IAC reset procedure. It does nothing more than get a whole lot of people in trouble and yields a whacked out IAC 9 times out of 10. Do the adjsutments above, get the numbers where they belong and you'll be MUCH happier.

TurboDave

A friend and myself had worked on my car lastnight for over 2 hours and nothing we did helped. Here is the situation:

Car was Idleing ruff and blms where pegged out.

IAC are in the 60-80 range

Tried adjusting the tps and could not get anywhere. "Cheap Autozone Crap"

So we:
Put in the MAF screen in the front
Installed a new GM TPS
Tried your procedure to the "T" on adjsting the IAC counts.

2 hours go by and we never got the counts below 60. Idle still alittle ruff and fluctuates between 675 and 750.

O2 is high over 800 running down the road.

The Air Screw will not get the IAC down.

We did notice that IAC was one of these cheap aftermarket ones and I am planning on replacing it today with a GM one.

Car has a New ECM from GM and Stock EPROM.

Every now and then it has a stumble off of a WOT pass.

The screen in the MAF did fix the BLM problem and helped some with the ruffness of Idle but it still goes from 650-750 rpm.

Any IDeas?