Idle Question

Rareusgold

I have an 87 GN and when I am on the brake at a stop light. The engine revs from 1000 to say 1500 every 3 or so seconds. Can any one help me out as to what is causing it.

Thank you,
Rich

idle

"Hunting" idle --It could be coused by several things but to start look in to vacoom leaks around intake manifold ,bad hoses etc.

Will try that

What is the best way to check for that? I am not very mechanical. I am just a life long GN fan and bought it a couple of months ago and had it fully serviced. Replaced the Power Boost, Checked compression / Leak down. changed the plugs, oil ect.

Runs great except for the "Hunting Idle"

Thank you again for your advice. Any more would be great.

Rich

idle

how does it idle with the car in park ..? do you have a vacoom gauge -what does it read ?in park mode and drive.if the idle is in "hunt" when in park then you possibly have a vacoom leak and before we go in to where and how do some checking and let us know and we'll go from there ..

Thank you again for all your help!

It is funny that you mentioned that. I will check again tonight. But, I think I remember it NOT happening when the car is in park.

Thank you all for your help it is really appreciated. Especially from someone that loves these cars and is not the most mechanical person in the world!

Rich

idle

One thing I can tell you is that you are a member of a top notch Gn/Ttype site that is very friendly to people like you that are not mechanically inclined but like to learn.Do your checking and come back on the board and will discuss some more ..:cool:

One thing I can tell you is that you are a member of a top notch Gn/Ttype site that is very friendly to people like you that are not mechanically inclined but like to learn.Do your checking and come back on the board and will discuss some more ..:cool:

I agree. The people on here have been MORE than helpful and I can not express my appreciation enough!

I did double check. It does have 'Hunting' Idle even when in park. It makes a slight click and then the idle goes up then back down. It does NOT seam to do it when the engine is cold. Only after it has been warmed up for a few minutes.

Thank you again!
Rich

ilde

We are still assuming that you have a vacoom leak so it is time to get a can of wd40 or even just plain water in a spray bottle and start spraying around the intake manifold with the engine warmed up and running -when you hit the spot where you have a vacoom leak it will suck the water in and your idle will settle down or come up to where it suppose to be .This is the area you need to adress - repaire.If by some chance the spray bottle does not do the trick then you start looking for a bad or cracked vacoom hose and report back .. :cool:

Thank you

I am going to do that tomorrow. I drove it quite a bit today. The Hunting Idle went away after the half an hour drive on the TPK. I am sure it will come back tomorrow. It was suggested that I get a Scan Master2. My car is 100% stock with 42,000 miles it is very clean and original. I love it that way. Is there any reason that I should NOT get one installed in my car?

Went to the Tower Shops Car Show down here tonight. It was a great night. I Meet a bunch of really great people/Turbo enthusiasts! There were all the great Turbo cars you could imagine! Only surpassed by the very cool people driving them!

There was a Typhoon (A really nice white one), A clean Syclone, A Turbo TA in excellent condition, A couple Grand Nationals including mine, and a very clean and nicely moderatly modified Turbo T! Oh yea there were about 1000 other cars. Those don't really count anyway do they?:wink: An amazing turn out considering the weather over the last week was cold. But a great night.

Thanks again for all your help. I will grab the spray bottle tomorrow and see what we are working with.

Rich

Something you need to be aware of if you don't already know these cars are very easily stolen and they are very often.

If you don't have any anti-theft devices on your car you need to get some right away, it sounds like you have a nice car and i would like for you to have and enjoy it for a long time.

Take a look in the stolen buick forum to get an idea of how many times it's happened to unsuspecting members. I have been a victim too of the car thieves.

Welcome aboard and good luck with everything you will find lots of people here that are willing to help and share personal knowledge and that will make it easier.

Thank you

I will check it out. I really appreciate your advice. I do not leave my car parked anywhere. I do not even like to walk away from it while it is at a car show. And security in my life is of the utmost importance! I do not take it lightly! I do not know if I want to start running wires for a security system. I am still a little aprehensive about a Scanmaster!

Funny

''Finally I won't be the worst president in history'' - Jimmy Carter

By the way this is funny. But, He may have to relinquish his title shortly!:D

I will check it out. I really appreciate your advice. I do not leave my car parked anywhere. I do not even like to walk away from it while it is at a car show. And security in my life is of the utmost importance! I do not take it lightly! I do not know if I want to start running wires for a security system. I am still a little aprehensive about a Scanmaster!

The Scanmaster doesn't require any wires to be cut to hook it up and is the best first mod to do to your car so that you can see what the ecm is seeing in order to help you tune the car.