Idle problem and high iac readings

racerex1

I have a little problem. I changed my maf pipe and now my car is all screwed up. The maf reading at idle is 09 which seems to be right. The IAC however is around 70. I can get it higher but if I go lower the engine will buck and die. If it is trying to die you can give it throttle and it will pop through the piping. My fuel pressure is 37 with the vacuum hooked up. My TPS is .43 Something else... the O2 sits at .35 lean. Another strange thing is at idle the computer will return to open loop. Rev the engine and it will go to closed I didn't have any problems until I changed the pipe. I have checked all the connections and the mat sensor and well as the coupler hoses. when you unplug the MAF the idle will go to like 3000rpms. Hook it back up and it is back at 750(low) The EGR will not effect the way the engine runs when you pop it open at idle. I took it off and it holds vacuum and does not leak. I even started the car with it off to see if maybe something was in the exhaust hole. It blows out exhaust like it should. Any ideas? I have a casper chip and 2 1/2 straight exhaust with no muffler or conv. as the only mods. I checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any. I messed with it for about 4 hours today and have to be overlooking something. Sorry for writing a book. :rolleyes:

Sure sounds like a lot of problems just for changing out the MAF pipe. I once had very similar results doing the same - ended up I'd left a rag stuffed in the turbo inlet. Hopefully, your problem is something that simple but not as dumb.

Yea no rag. It didn't run the best when I bought it but the iac and tps was off the chart. I got them down to normal readings and it seemed to run pretty good. Still had a funny idle. Sometimes 1200 and other times 800 other than that it was ok.

Your problem sounds almost identical to mine. All I did was remove the MAF, spray it with CRC cleaner and put it back. Car now runs crazy. I move the MAF hose back and forth and the engine goes wild. Wires seem ok. I guess I screwed the MAF up somehow, even though I treated it very carefully. Did you use an aftermarket MAF or a GM replacement? I have a new TT chip I want to install, but I've gotta get the car back to running ok before I tackle anything.
87GN. Walbro 340/hot wire/cold air kit/old KB chip

How did you find it was the mass air? Did you buy a new one? Sorry my car has similar issues..

He changed MAF pipe and when he did he must have messed the MAF up. These things are 20 years old and they were sensitive when they were new. Just think what 20 years of heat and vibration do to them.:eek: It doesnt take much to get them out of whack.

My invoice is in the mail. I take payment plans also.;)

Glad you got it.:)

:smile: Yea you hit the nail on the head. I put the walbro pump in today as well. To bad there was 12 inches of snow on the ground this morning. I would have took it out and knocked the knobs off my new 17's :cool: Thanks Again