Idle issues

Daniel Lane

So yesterday I installed a new 3' inch maf pipe on my 86 gn. I installed my maf sensor backwards without noticing and started the car up. It idled rough and popped a code 45. My iac count was also through the roof at the same time, it wasn't before I put the pipe on. I turned the car off and reset the ecm. Also flipped the maf in the right direction and hooked everything back up. Car started back up fine but then went back to a bad idle and popped a code 34. Anyone got any ideas as to what happened? Car ran okay before maf pipe swap.

86 Grand National, Hotwire kit, glowshift gauges, more asap.

I would check the spark plugs depending on how old they are replace them they may have gotten fouled when you did that.

Same with the o2 sensor.Check and replace if needed.

You can unplug the maf sensor and see if that helps the idle as well.

These cars are great but sometimes their not to forgiving when you make a mistake.

Alright. Just switching the flow of the maf would do all that?

I don't know if it would or not, I've never installed a maf sensor backwards before. But one thing is for sure it did something if the engine was running right before you did that and then now it runs rough after you did that.

I was just suggesting what to check as if it was me trying to find out the source of the rough running condition.

The code 45 is the o2 sensor circuit rich exhaust.

The code 34 is the maf sensor circuit low or no indication.

It's your car so you can start the troubleshooting anywhere you like.

Do keep us posted as to what you find out and what was done to fix the problem. It may help someone else who may have the same problem.

If you have the stock MAF you could have ruined it by putting it on backwards. They are very sensitive to flow direction. My son and a friend put their MAFs (stock) on backwards and both had the same results....ruined the MAF. Replaced with a translator and LT1 MAF.