IAC Adapter

whoosh47

I installed a IAC adapter from Full Throttle and I can't get the engine to start up or idle while cold without opening the throttle some. While holding the throttle open enough to keep the motor barely idling the Iac counts are at 175. I have a new IAC motor. I tried opening up the throttle blade and re adjusted the tps and then once the motor is up to temp it idles to high and the iac counts are at 0. What did I do wrong installing this thing?

It’s a balancing act between the tps and iac. Adjust the iac to where your counts are 20-30 at hot idle and the tps is within its range of operation. Sounds like you have it set so the iac is all the way closed that’s why it’s at 0 and the computer can’t make any adjustment for idle speed because it’s at 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a balancing act between the tps and iac. Adjust the iac to where your counts are 20-30 at hot idle and the tps is within its range of operation. Sounds like you have it set so the iac is all the way closed that’s why it’s at 0 and the computer can’t make any adjustment for idle speed because it’s at 0

So I get the motor up to operating temp then adjust the throttle blade to get the iac to read between 30-40 then re adjust the tps. Does that sound correct?

Make sure the gasket install of the new adapter is sealed up-no vacuum leak. Get engine to temp. Take it very slow with throttle blade adjustments. Reset the TPS each time. Sneak up on it slowly. Sounds like you went extreme from one side to the other in a big jump. Like Scott said...its a balance.

Last edited:
That should work. As long as the TPS is about .44 at idle and 4.8 at WOT and the iac is around 30 I haven’t had issues.

Make sure the gasket install of the new adapter is sealed up-no vacuum leak. Get engine to temp. Take it very slow with throttle blade adjustments. Reset the TPS each time. Sneak up on it slowly. Sounds like you went extreme from one side to the other in a big jump. Like Scot said...its a balance.
It took a lot of blade openi

If you remove the sensor and start it is there vacuum in that area?

X2 ^^^ If the gasket is turned 180* it will block the ports.
Well that's a possibility. I had the engine up to temp and iac was zero so I started closing the blade and by the time i started getting any numbers the rpm was so low that tne the engine would almost stall . I have changed cam so the programed rpm may be to low. I did have a 208/208 in it. I done a cardinal sin and changed two things at a time. The IAC adapted and the cleaning and matching of the injectors. they were sold as 60lbs and after cleaning I had 5 flowing at 55lbs and one at 70lbs . No wonder I had a hard time tuning it to get the transition knock out of it.