I want to make a sheetmetal intake, any tips?

Nashty

WORLD'S FASTEST ......geo
I'm interested in making a sheetmetal intake. Can't buy one because I'm very limited in total height.

I can get an older off center tunnel ram setup for probably $75 or so to use as a starting point. What should I look for as far as plenum volume goes?

I'm thinking a short runner, large plenum setup.

For now, I'd be using GN-1's but if I was good enough at it, I'd consider the move to stage heads but I don't want to make 1500hp. I'm reasonably close to 900-1000 and really don't want to make more than 11-1200 ever. (I went through the 1/8th mile lights sideways at 123 last year because of a traction problem.) I'd do it for the looks and longevity of the motor more than anything.

(I can't wait for Jason to reply about the stage heads...)

Does anyone have any pictures of one being made in progress?

Just pick up a National Dragster and look in the back should find something to help get started.Good Luck on the intake.

Sheet metal intake

I have a couple of intakes that would be very easy to modify to fit your needs. see attached pics $300.00 each plus shipping
Mike Booher 937 272-4313 Dayton, Ohio buickv6@hotmail.com :cool:

Attachments

• tunnel ram tops.JPG
    tunnel ram tops.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 437
  • tunnel ram tops 1.JPG
    tunnel ram tops 1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 451
Nashty
Here is my intake that started like the one Mike has for sale. The "dog house" will clear a stock style hood by removing the bracing in the hood bubble, but I will have to get creative mounting the tb.

Hope this helps
Todd

Attachments

• 100_1651.jpg
    100_1651.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 372
Ok, I am looking to do just this..( build an intake) . Do you guys cut the runners off and use the base then rebuild the runners?

Any info is appreciated.

I've thought about taking a S2 intake to a bridgeport and cutting out everything except the water crossover. This would be a great platform to build a sheetmetal intake because it already fits the heads and avoids plumbing fabrication.

If you wanted to do one for GN1 heads, start with a stock intake and do the same thing.

I would do all my welding with the intake base bolted to a block with heads.

All I need now is the time to start a project like this............

I've thought about taking a S2 intake to a bridgeport and cutting out everything except the water crossover. This would be a great platform to build a sheetmetal intake because it already fits the heads and avoids plumbing fabrication.

If you wanted to do one for GN1 heads, start with a stock intake and do the same thing.

I would do all my welding with the intake base bolted to a block with heads.

All I need now is the time to start a project like this............

I am wanting to do one for my champion ported irons.