I Want E85

spyrs69

I seriously want to run E85 in my 87 GN. The current gas prices, supporting the arab nations and cheap 105 octane are my reasons.
I know I will need to swap out any rubber hoses and probably the Walboro 340 pump I just put in (right?).
I have aftermarket 50# injectors and the rest of the fuel system is stock. Is there anything else I would need to change?
Thanks.

The E85 will eventually cause corrosion inside your fuel lines (mild steel). The problem is not the ethanol, but rather the moisture that will be adsorbed into the fuel. Stainless lines will eliminate that problem.

Dave

Is anybody running E85 in anything other than a GN? What are the prices for it and does it fluctuate as bad as the pure dino fuel?

it pretty much goes up in down the same as regular pump gas- but is around 50 cents cheaper than 87 octane usually.

Fellow members from the northern states, what kind of luck have you had in running the M 85 fuel. Like any problems or performance increases?

I know race fuel will corrode your fuel pumps and rust out your turbo exhaust housings and mild steal exhaust systems. I always heard that if you are going to store your car you should store it with a full tank of gas, to keep the moisture out of the system, is this true?

I always heard that if you are going to store your car you should store it with a full tank of gas, to keep the moisture out of the system, is this true?

True. It's more for the tank itself. It will rust. You can also use kerosene but since it's the same price as gas now....plus Stabil of course.

The deceiving aspect of E85 is that you generally need around 40% more of it, which means add 40% to its gas price and then see how it compares, its now more expensive.

E85 has less BTU's than gas so it needs more fuel and 50's turn into 30's on a E85 car. You would need 83's IMO which also means a new chip and an upgraded ECM $$$.

Stainless is the way to go on the fuel system, and you might as well go with a -10an due to the 40% more you are going to need over straight gas. $$

340 walbro will not cut it, you will probably need the Aeromotive pump which is alcohol ready, its external and pretty pricey but will do the job and comes in a -10an. $$

Honestly when you are done with this, you will have wanted to pay the higher gas prices and just got an alky kit and lived with it. I was going to do this on my 69 GTO and then after doing the math I kept the carb on it and run 50/50 110 unleaded $4 with premium $3.

Why not make your own E85?

spyrs69 said:
I seriously want to run E85 in my 87 GN. The current gas prices, supporting the arab nations and cheap 105 octane are my reasons.
I know I will need to swap out any rubber hoses and probably the Walboro 340 pump I just put in (right?).
I have aftermarket 50# injectors and the rest of the fuel system is stock. Is there anything else I would need to change?
Thanks.

Why don't you just make your own E85? That's what I'm doing...

I'm on the same path to an E85 fueled GN. So far I've got the still almost finished, bought a boiler, fermenting tank, some yeast, and a hydrometer to check the proof, should be fermenting the first batch in the next couple weeks if time permits. It'll be 190-195 proof outta the still then dry wash it over night to remove the last 5-10% water and bingo you have 200 proof alcohol (100% pure alcohol).

As far as the fuel pump is concerned I'm on the trail trying to find out what the PUMPING specs are on the 2005 Chevy 1500 pickup-they all have a FFV (flex fuel system that will burn E85) system from the factory, and IF it can pump enough fuel the fuel pump problem will be solved. The FFV pumps can be bought on ebay. Then on to the rest of the fuel delivery system.
Copper has been suggested for the fuel lines? (easy to bend and will withstand the pressure as well as the ethanol), don't know about that one!
There is definitely going to cost involved but according to the E85 makers/users it can be made for less than a dollar per gallon, depending on availabilty of feedstock. Quiet a savings wouldn't you say?

I'm hoping that the translator + that I have on my car will be able to adjust for the extra E85 fuel needed to run the engine, if not I'll contact either Eric or Bob for a chip that can handle the E85 stuff.

If anyone knows how to get the fuel pump PUMPING specs on the 2005 Chevy 1500 pickup fuel pump, I sure would like to know.

Good luck,
Jerry

PS The nice thing about making your own fuel, if you have any left over from a fillup you can drink the rest!!!! It's not nice to waste good fuel:>)