I think I messed Up

kwcook

I was replacing the oil feed line and for some reason the end that goes into the motor was stuck and tried to loosen it for about a 1/2 hour. Anyways eventually I noticed the sensor moved a little bit and the piece that connects to the motor broke off!!:mad: If there is any confusion where the oil feed line and sensor attaches came off the block. How to Fix?? Can I retap it and seal it up, Then get another sensor housing piece to go into the knew tap?

Any help is appreciated (hopefully someone else has done this before:biggrin: )

Thanks
Kyle Cook

I was replacing the oil feed line and for some reason the end that goes into the motor was stuck and tried to loosen it for about a 1/2 hour. Anyways eventually I noticed the sensor moved a little bit and the piece that connects to the motor broke off!!:mad: If there is any confusion where the oil feed line and sensor attaches came off the block. How to Fix?? Can I retap it and seal it up, Then get another sensor housing piece to go into the knew tap?

Any help is appreciated (hopefully someone else has done this before:biggrin: )

Thanks
Kyle Cook

Kyle,
Sorry to hear. I have not done this before but here is what I would do;
You will need to get an "EZ-Out". You can get these at Sears. Get a good quality unit (This is not a time to skimp on quality) and don't force it too much when you try to remove the nipple. If it breaks, you may need to pull the motor and take it to a machine shop. :mad:

After you get the broken nipple out, Retap the threads and run the oil pump with a drill to make sure you get all and any shavings out.

Afterwards, spray it LIBERALLY with some brake cleaner to remove possible sticking particles, and run the oil pump again to "flush" as any metal in there will most likely take the turbo out.

I think part of the knipple is in the motor yet, I couldnt get a good look at it I will double check tomorrow. So basically all that sticks out of the motor is a knipple that attaches to the unit that the oil feed line goes into and the mountinhg for the sensor. How do you run the oil pump with a drill?

Thanks

I think part of the knipple is in the motor yet, I couldnt get a good look at it I will double check tomorrow. So basically all that sticks out of the motor is a knipple that attaches to the unit that the oil feed line goes into and the mountinhg for the sensor. How do you run the oil pump with a drill?

Thanks

Remove the cam sensor and use a priming tool/procedure.
Can you post a pic of the area/part of concern?

I will try to get a picture today. I actually saw one of your old posts with a pic of an engine with sensor labels on it and the area is the oil pressure sensor/oil feed line starting point. That whole piece is currently off. How do you post pics directly into the thread?

I will try to get a picture today. I actually saw one of your old posts with a pic of an engine with sensor labels on it and the area is the oil pressure sensor/oil feed line starting point. That whole piece is currently off. How do you post pics directly into the thread?

So, the male end on the brass block that screws into the block broke off correct?

So, the male end on the brass block that screws into the block broke off correct?

That what it sounds like to me Jerryl, might be able to get it out with a needle nose plier, WD-40, just by wiggling it out, depending how far and deep the male end broke off, just a thought, where there's a will there's a way :D

That what it sounds like to me Jerryl, might be able to get it out with a needle nose plier, WD-40, just by wiggling it out, depending how far and deep the male end broke off, just a thought, where there's a will there's a way :D

Yeah, hopefully, it will be easy.
I know of a case where the owner broke the EZ-Out and had to pull the motor.

If any of it sticks out you could use a flat screw driver and lightly tap it with a hammer to back it out. I just had to do this a couple days ago when I busted a spare iac I tried on my car-oops! I doubt it could be in there that tight. If you don't trust yourself doing it have a buddy that knows how to do that stuff and buy him lunch when all said and done. Even though you probably could do it yourself, an extra person being around in times like this is always a GOOOD THIng. just blabbin

here's the damage

Below is a couple of pics. The first is where the oil pressure sensor thing broke off and the second is the piece that broke off. What do you think??
I dont have a massive oil leak I sprayed engine degreaser.

Attachments

• 100_1986.jpg
    100_1986.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_1992.jpg
    100_1992.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 138
Does not look to bad from 1000 miles away. :eek:
Try it the "Cheap way" first ..... tapping it with a screw driver, etc.
If it is at all tight, do it the "easy way" with an "EZ-Out" (Screw extractor). (How I would do it) Try the link.
Sears.com

Hopefully it comes out easier than the last person I talked to.

What am I trying to get out? The part in the Brass Piece? Was the knipple connected to the mototr did the original piece screw into the block?

If any of it sticks out you could use a flat screw driver and lightly tap it with a hammer to back it out. I just had to do this a couple days ago when I busted a spare iac I tried on my car-oops! I doubt it could be in there that tight. If you don't trust yourself doing it have a buddy that knows how to do that stuff and buy him lunch when all said and done. Even though you probably could do it yourself, an extra person being around in times like this is always a GOOOD THIng. just blabbin

Looks like you might be able to wedge a screwdriver in there, and draw it back out :cool:

What am I trying to get out? The part in the Brass Piece? Was the knipple connected to the mototr did the original piece screw into the block?

The part you are trying to get out is the piece of brass in the engine block.
That piece belongs on the "brass block" and is broken off.

Alright know i got it. I will get all of the brass out of there then what. Retap (to what size) and get a new brass piece. Correct?

Thanks
Kyle Cook

Alright know i got it. I will get all of the brass out of there then what. Retap (to what size) and get a new brass piece. Correct?

Thanks
Kyle Cook

Kyle,
Re-tapping depends on the condition of the threads. Be carefull! It is an NPT, which means you CAN go too deep.
If you need to re-tap you will need to clean, if you don't you may be fine (After seeing the picture)

If you use the scewdriver method, you "could" damage the threads and require a re-tap.
If you use the EZ-Out (screw extractor), your chances of getting it out clean are MUCH better.
Obviously, I can not tell you which way will be the best for you to get it out.
Good luck!

broken piece

Hi,
I'm a friend of Jerryl's,and see where you're at with this problem.I think the original idea with an easyout is perhaps the best possibility.Due to the angle of the removal,it may be quite difficult, but possible.I would jam the out in there, then use visegrips to remove it.This looks like a difficult extraction, but by no means impossible.

kyle

An easy out should get all of the rest of the brass fitting out of your block. If it was me this is what I would do next. Find out what size that pipe tap is. ( I dont KNow) get a new tap, take it to a wire wheel and dull it up, you dont want to cut new threads you just want to clean out the ones you have. Take the tap and put crisco in the fluts of the tap, the crisco will keep much if not all of the chips on the tap. GO sloww if you go to fast the cristo will melt. If you do 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn at a time and go slow you will keep the amount of chips very low. All you want to do is chase thresds Not cut them.

jr

kyle

An easy out should get all of the rest of the brass fitting out of your block. If it was me this is what I would do next. Find out what size that pipe tap is. ( I dont KNow) get a new tap, take it to a wire wheel and dull it up, you dont want to cut new threads you just want to clean out the ones you have. Take the tap and put crisco in the fluts of the tap, the crisco will keep much if not all of the chips on the tap. GO sloww if you go to fast the cristo will melt. If you do 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn at a time and go slow you will keep the amount of chips very low. All you want to do is chase thresds Not cut them.

jr

Good point, I was just about to point that out and just remembered about using something like vasoline to catch the loose debris as well :cool: