I think I am out of luck

JB83T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week I got the car running only to find coolant was getting in the oil . I tore the timing cover back off to find out what had happened. I had first thought it was a head gasket but it only started once I put it back together. Turns out the new cam button ate a hole in the front of the timing cover. Heres the fun part. The aluminum piece that broke off went into the coolant passages in the motor. It's a good size chunk. I had my fingers on it and almost had it out and it dropped on back into the block. I tried using hose water to pressurize it out but no luck. I don't think I can forget about it. I have no idea how to get it out :(

I know the cam button can wear the cover, but I never heard of it wearing completely thru, espcially that quickly. I have seen some Buick book that suggest epoxying a peice of steel were the button sits to prevent wear.

I wouldn't worry about the chunck in the water passages. The only moving part is the water pump. I should just lodge itself somewhere and stay. It can't cause too much damage if you can't get it out.

Maybe a shop vac to suck the coolant out will get the chunk.

Good Luck

The button was installed wrong on my part I guess. I think it got moved to an angle when I was trying to get the timing cover on. I wish there was a way to fix the hole without having to buy a new one. I think they run from 130 to 150 bucks.

timming cover

I wouldn't worry about the chunk either.Like BEFOREBLACK said it will just lodge itself somewere and you wouldn't even know the differance.I personally wouldn't worry about it if it was mine.If you need a cover I have a complete used one with a waterpump still on it(if you wanted to use it)and the cambutton (used)for it for $30.00 plus shipping if you want it.I wouldn't trust a repair.let me know if you want it at bg@buickturbo.com and I'll get it out to you.

where did you finally end up getting that cam button from? Did autozone finally pull thier heads out?:D

I got one from the dealer. I remember your offer to send one out and I appreciate that. :) They said they didn't carry the old style with just the spring and the button. The spring they gave me was with the needle bearings. I believe it was the same part # as the one used on the later model GNs and T-types. I had to used wheel bearing grease to hold it in place. With the old one, it kinda screwed into the cam and held sturdy.

I think the dynagear has the needle bearings and screws on there both, but can't swear to that. Oh well you didn't want to drive that old car anyway did ya? (lol) I went without driving mine for about a year then got the motor replaced and drove it for about 5 months and have been without it for the last 2 months with it in the paint booth. They are wonderful cars if you want some where to dump your money and never drive it.:D

It was my daily driver for a good while. :) I had a Cherokee that was totaled by my girlfriend and I needed some transportation. Drove it for about 5 months then I got tired of the oil smoking off the exhaust so I tore it down to repair the seals. Little did I know it would turn into a headache repairing with the small things going wrong. I have two exhaust manifold bolts needing drilled out. They are held in place with C-clamps until I get it running well enough to drive over to my brothers garage. lol

Currently I am driving my "other" project, my 89 Iroc. It's nowhere near done but it runs well enough to drive. I am looking for a small truck at the moment.
:)

I have got some pics of when i got my new motor, carb, turbo, timing cover, water pump, fuel pump,......,........, ......., ...... I just need to get them on digital format and build a new page on my site to load them to. I already 11-12 pages on my website. i still need to get the interior done. this site is going to be huge by the time i get it done.:eek:

Can't wait to see those pics. :) It's nice to see other peoples cars on here. There seems to be so few early Buicks left on the road anymore. At least around here.