I see the Marauder is getting whacked

blackbuick87

Ford is going to nix the Marauder after 2004 according to Motor Trend. Apparently they are not selling well due to the non-existant low end torque on the 4.6.

The n/a 4.6 has to be one of the weakest V8's made IMO. Put it right next to the 307 and 301 as the sorriest production V8's to hit the streets

They should have put the supercharged '03 cobra 4.6 motor in the Marauder and sold it for $40K.... They would have sold like hotcakes!:D ;)

Originally posted by 86brick
They should have put the supercharged '03 cobra 4.6 motor in the Marauder and sold it for $40K.... They would have sold like hotcakes!:D ;)

Kenny Brown made 10 supecharged/Intercooled cars (Vortech). Car and driver squeezed a 13.1 out of one. Car also has 14" brakes and sold for around $55K. Not too bad given the performance increase over a $35K marauder.

Originally posted by 86brick

Yeah, or at least the 5.4 n/a for a little grunt. The bad thing is I think it looks better than the Impala SS's, but the damn thing cant get out of its own way

Originally posted by UNGN
Kenny Brown made 10 supecharged/Intercooled cars (Vortech). Car and driver squeezed a 13.1 out of one. Car also has 14" brakes and sold for around $55K. Not too bad given the performance increase over a $35K marauder.

A 13.1 out of a big sled like that isn't bad, but I still couldn't bring myself to shell out $55k for a Crown Victoria with a blower. :)

When time comes for me to buy a 4 door grocery getter, depending on what SC 3800 cars are available, I'd definitely consider getting an 80k mile police car, yanking the 4.6, putting in a 5.4 and an iron lung on it. 13's would be nice.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
A 13.1 out of a big sled like that isn't bad, but I still couldn't bring myself to shell out $55k for a Crown Victoria with a blower. :)

I hear you. I'd rather buy one for $2500 at a police auction. If I'm going to spend $35K for a car, it isn't going to be on something with a nearly 25 year old chassis. Thats what old people do. I'll never be one of them. :)

Originally posted by blackbuick87
The n/a 4.6 has to be one of the weakest V8's made IMO. Put it right next to the 307 and 301 as the sorriest production V8's to hit the streets
No way man, the Marauder is a tank. It has the 4.6 DOHC with 302 HP and 318 ft/lbs (way more than the Imp's did). Maybe you're thinking of the 1996-1998 4.6 SOHC... those things were dogs :)

the new 4.6's aren't too bad...you can get low 14's high 13's out of a new mustang GT...the 96-98 4.6 sucked ass...my friend has got two mustang GTs from those years and he insists they are awesome...i take him for a ride in my car with 22 lbs of boost and race gas...that changed his mind...

Re: Re: I see the Marauder is getting whacked

Originally posted by GotBoost
(way more than the Imp's did).

Not exactly....... the iron head LT1 in the Impala put out less HP, but had more torque. A few minor tweaks and the HP was right up with the aluminum head versions from the vette and the f-body. I did minor mods on mine and the torque was awesome.

Re: Re: Re: I see the Marauder is getting whacked

Originally posted by Joe 1320
Not exactly....... the iron head LT1 in the Impala put out less HP, but had more torque. A few minor tweaks and the HP was right up with the aluminum head versions from the vette and the f-body. I did minor mods on mine and the torque was awesome.
Stock for stock... 302/318 (4.6L) vs. 260/330 (5.7L) in favor of the Merc :) 42 hp less and the torque is only 12 ft lbs more for the Imp! The reason I'm bringing the Impala up is because I've driven a few SS's myself and they couldn't get out of their own way so I don't see why the Marauder is being bashed :mad: I wouldn't say the 4.6 is one of the weakest engines ever produced! That's BS. It's an awesome car for an enthusiast with a family, and you could mod them up if you want more hp ;)

Don't see why they'd cut it out. They have the parts, the Grand Marquis isn't going anywhere (maybe the Vic is though) the only difference is the interior scheme, headlights, gauges for the most part. Might as well make them but just cut back production. Should at least bring the power up and see how it goes.

I think it was MM&FF a couple of months ago that interviewed John Coletti and asked him about the Marauder. He pretty much said "don't blame me that's Mercury. The parts are on the shelf for them to use."

I still like it. Sad that there's nothing out there these days that fits 5, RWD, family sized and doesn't have to rev to 5000+ for real power. At a decent price. That Dodge wagon concept would be nice, but if the Marauder can't make it that thing might not happen either. Or a lot of other cool cars that might have become available.

OK, maybe the DOHC 4.6 is a little better, but the SOHC 4.6 is a worthless POS that would not even make a good boat anchor. I wasnt aware the ones I had ridden in had SOHC.

Anyone ridden in an F150 with this piece of crap for power? I think my buddy lost a race in his to a Le Car:D

The difference between the OHC motor and the LT1 is the LT1 makes the torque at a lower, much more usable RPM. Also it has a broader powerband than the 4.6, hence making it much better for toodling around town in a land barge.

Anyone have 0-60 times to compare the two cars?

I got these numbers from car-stats.com:

1996 Impala SS
0-60: 7.3
1/4 mile: 15.6

2003 Mercury Marauder
0-60: 6.9
1/4 mile: 15.4

i always defend the marauder because we have one here. its a pretty decent ride, and its no animal, but the car isn't just supposed to be about performance. its a nice luxury car with a little bit of power. it's not a 10 sec car but when you sit in it, its like being in your living room.

Don't forget there was a difference in the rear gear too-- 3.08 for the Imp SS vs. 3.55 for the MM. I've done a few of the popular low-buck "Imp SS Mods Du Jour" to my '96 LT-1 Roadmaster sedan (including 3.42 gears) and people are shocked it moves so quickly.

Morgan
'87 GN
'96 RM

Rated HP from the factory does not matter considering one is known for over rating and the other is known for underating(Dyno the two and they are a lot closer than the rated numbers show, Heck I watched a 03 GT brand new at the dyno at UTI today and it put down 212 hp and 220ish torque, thats pretty low considering its 260 hp or so rated from the factory). The DOHC 4.6 makes more power but in a higher RPM , along with the torque. By that time the low end of the Impalla is ususally out front. Thats just what I've seen, maybe it was just flukes. They are so close its a drivers race off the line usually. I do have to admit I saw a Marauder the other day and they are very sharp looking cars and its too bad that just one year and they axe it. Heck thats all car companys do anymore, instead of refining a current car and correcting some of the downfalls, they will just axe it with out considering the easier root by dropping in a blown 4.6 or a 5.4 like stated above.

There is a person in my town who owns a marauder. Nice looking car i like the chrome wheels. it is basically a crown vic with a better powerplant and some nice rims. I wouldnt mind haveing one for a winter car. I heard that the 301 hp isnt exagerated.