I Need Some guidance

grandwazoo

I had not intended to upgrade my audio system in my GN, but I just accidentally acquired the following:

2 SubWoofer enclosures with JLAudio 12 Drivers

and

2 Rockford Fosgate 6X8 Punch speakers

I wired in the 6X8's, and they sound excellent, not surprising considering it was the original Delco speakers I took out. My Head is a JVC-s580 http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026834&pathId=54&page=2&archive=true
Not the greatest, but it does push 180w.

My goal when finished is High Fidelity excellent Sound accross a wide variety of Musical Genre's and enough power that when I am on the highway I can crank it loud enough to overcome my T-top noise:( and exhaust sound:) . When driving I tend to listen to my iPod which has everything on it from Allman Bros to Marilyn Manson to Robert Earl Keen to Otis Redding to Frank Zappa to 80's Hair Bands to Django Rheinhardt. So Booming bass in not a focus but needed from time to time, rich mids are not a focus but needed from time to time. The iPod is awesome because you can associate each track with a eq setting and it switches along with the songs.

So over the next few weeks I plan on finishing out my trunk, with carpet, mounting the 2 subwoofers then purchasing an amp, and replacement dash speakers and door speakers.

Questions:
Should I purchase 1 or 2 amps? One for the subwoofers and One for the rear, dash and door speakers or just one for both. What channel configuration should I go for, 2 channel for the subwoofer, and 4 channel for the speakers? What wattage for the amps?

I don't want to become a car stereo expert, I just want to build the system, be happy and not look back, so please tailor your answers as if you were explaining it to your mentally challenged cousin. Also as far a brands go, any advice would be appreciated, but keep in mind I don't want to spend $$$ just for bragging rights on the brand of equipment.

2 amps

If me, to stay simple buy 2 amps, both with built in crossovers to save that expense. Buy a 4 channel for your rear and front and a sub mono amp for your subs and bridge them. That is the simplest cheapest way. No EQ or seperate CX needed. If you do not like distortion do not run any thing off of head unit. This setup will provide pleasing controlled sound. To save on price for decent equipment go either rockford or mtx. Up from there would be JL audio.

Well, I am running two amps, one for my 6x9's and my 5 1/4's in kickpanel pods. I believe I also went ahead and hooked up my 3.5's to my headunit a few months ago. Then I have another amp running my 12" JL's. I did a boat load of research on amps before I bought any, I'm also not one to go out and by something because of it's brand name. I found out that most of the highend name brand amps were ripping you off power wise anyhow.I learned my lesson that just because it says 1000w doesn't mean your really getting all 1000w. I eventually decided on Autotek's Amps, pure power for the money, and I got lucky and picked one up off Ebay for a little over $100. I have The Autotek Mean Machine 1000w pushing my JL's, and the Autotek Super Sport 400w 4 channel pushing the 6x9's and 5 1/4's.

In your case I would go after a 2 channel amp for the subs, JL's can usually handle some pretty good power so anything from 500 to 1000watts would be good. And a 4 channel for the cab speakers. I used a 4 gauge power wire from my battery to my trunk, the 4 gauge goes to a distribution box and then out of the box I have two 8 gauge power wires going to both amps. As far as wiring is concerned, I would wire the cab speakers up normal to the 4 channel amp. The 2 channel amp I would tell you to use JL's website to figure out how you want it, all depends on the ohms of the speakers and so on. I've always been a sucker for trying to keep the same brand for everything, everything in my car use to be cerwin vega except the headunit of course, but now I'm using the JL's. So I would look at JL's amps first and see what you can find.

Pics of my install are in my sig. I'm no expert in this field, I've done my share of blowing things up and learning through trial and error. The setup in my car was my first complete setup, taking me a few months to complete, and it's still not perfect. You learn as you go. Hope I could help.

If you need anymore help, we'll need the ohms and watts of all your speakers.

Then I could recommend some amps to match them.

THanks for the help.

I am going to go with a two amp configuration, 2 channel for subs and 4 channel for 6x9's doors and dash.

Gonna upgrade in steps.

Step one: Build out/carpet trunk and install sub enclosures, and run all new wiring. (leave existing head/wiring running 6x9's so that I am not without music)

Step two: Purchase and install subwoofer amp, checking ebay and local shops, flea markets and outlets for good close out on a 400w+ 2ch amp.

Step three: Buy and install better dash and door speakers.

Step four: Buy and install 4 ch amp for 6x9's door and dash, hopefully can find matching brand/style as the first amp so the build out will look good.

So for the Subwoofer amp, I am needing to drive two of these, each in their own ported box.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w3v2.html

6x9's are these without the component stuff:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...10063561&CategoryDesc=Punch Component Systems

Sounds like you've got yourself a plan. Do you mean 400w per sub or a 400w total amp? I would lean towards 400w per sub, not giving enough power to your subs is worse then overpowering them. I have the same exact subs using a 1000w amp, not turned up all the way, so I have plenty of power if I want it. As for the components, I'd go after around 75w to 100w per speaker. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to equipment, and RF, MTX, Pioneer, JL are all good amps. I of course am not going to leave out Autotek, not a popular everyday brand, but major power for the money and they've never disappointed. Those who know their stuff have heard of Autotek.

Good Luck, and post us some pics of this install.