I need a chip! Give me your opinion on a chip!!

FRANKIEz28

Frankie -n- Theresa
I need a chip for my 87GN with the stock injectors. It stock except for the following: 340 pump, AFPR, Hooker Exhaust, K&N and the free mods. Can you give some of your opinions and/or experiences on different street chips that you have tried.

P.S. Can you give me the E-Mail Address to the chip venders you mention about?.

Thanks a bunch
FRANKIEz

Yeah I had 2 Thrasher chips and I had problems with both of them. The first Thrasher lasted 8 months and the second time which I got this X-Mas lasted a week :confused:.
I sent it back and Im running a Kenne Bell right now. I borrowed it from a buddy of mine and it's a very good chip.

FRANKIEz

IMO
I would go with a chip from Jay Carter, Joe Lubrant, Jim Testa, RamChargers, Red Armstrong. They all burn great chips that have the latest upgrades in them. The only way you will find out which one is close to perfect for your car is by trying them. Every car is different, but with any of the above you will see an improvement over the Kenne Bell chip, it is old technology.

http://www.cottonsperformance.com/index2.htm

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay

http://www.precisionte.com/

JTesta1966@aol.com

FWIW
A chip is only as good as the tuning on the rest of the car, and that means if you want to get the most out of the chip you need to make sure there are no vacuum, exhaust, MAF pipe leaks, IAC and TPS are set properly, 02 sensor is good, and having a scan tool to tune with.

Paul

what would you guys recommend for a stock (70k) car?

Would the 28# 93 octane Jay Carter chip be a good choice?

chico

Applied Research / Pitbull Chip

I just bought my '87' GN it's mostly stock xcept for the ART CARR tranny, with 2500 RPM converter. Turbo is stock and the previous owner did the above tranny and ordered a crate motor from BUICK. Any way it has the PITBULL Chip and I was wondering if y'al lhad any thoughts. I had a stock 87 GN previously like 6 years ago with the same chip and it was supposed to be a good chip.. Now, I have been hearing other wise. Heard RED ARMSTRONG, THRASHER and others. Please help. Any comments would be appreciated should I change the CHIP or STAY with it.

Thanks,
Tony

Originally posted by FRANKIEz28
Yeah I had 2 Thrasher chips and I had problems with both of them. The first Thrasher lasted 8 months and the second time which I got this X-Mas lasted a week :confused:.

FRANKIEz

Chips do not fail on their own. The problem must result from you having a bad connection at the ECM. You should soon be reporting on how your KB chip failed.

Please explain what you mean by "lasted X months or weekd".

I have tried many chips, ATR, REDS, Jay Carter, Kenne Bell, Superchips etc. But the chip that has worked the best for my set-up is the Thrasher 92 & 100 octane chips. They only cost like $27 shipped so if it dont work well for your commbo then your not out a ton of dough and if it works then use the money you saved for something else. Good Luck

Question

When you all mention "thrasher 93 and 103 octane chips" I wondered how should you gauge what octane chip you should use. Do they differ in performance? Gas Mileage?? How should you make your decision. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

I have run several Thrasher chips with out any problems with any of them. The Thrasher had the fastest spoolup with the lowest KR than any others I have used. I really can't understand them going bad. For $25 it is the best money you can spend on a chip. Smooth idle,quick spool,no knock.
I just swapped from stock inj. to 38 lb lucas inj. I am now running a Thrasher Bluetop 92 and 108 chips with fantastic results. 18-19 psi on 93 octane with no knock. Great chips in my opinion.

Tony, if you use 93 octane on a everyday basis, get a 93 chip. You want to match the chip to the type of injectors you have, & whatever octane gasoline you use. The Thrasher chips are pretty popular. My father has one in his stock GN. The other chip makers listed above are all capable of burning you a chip that will work well. Just contact them, tell them the mods you have on your car, if any, & they'll hook you up. HTH:)