I have problems

4 Sale
I don't understand something.
Two guys at work have new Mustangs. One is a v6 convertible, the other a GT hardtop. This summer they attended numerous car shows... as contestants :confused: This is where I start to have problems :frown:
If I go to my local Ford dealer, he has some new Mustangs on the lot. The mall has some Mustangs. I was at a traffic light and I was behind a new Mustang. If I had a new Mustang I could be part of the herd! I think they made 100,000+ of the new Mustangs already, everyone loves them. Why are they in a car show with classic and collectable cars? When I go to a car show I want to see something cool,rare or unusual. New Mustang...cool car but yawn :eek: Hey everybody look at my Prius :rolleyes:

We have imports show up at our car shows! Even tricked out blazers with 50 TV's and a sound system to deafen the crowds in the surounding counties. I hate it too. :mad:

I went to a huge (1000 cars) car show yesterday, there must have been 100 stock vettes and a whole crowd of new Dodge magnums, some had rims. Saw a few new (stock) mustangs too.

What is it with the corvette guys that makes them think anyone wants to look at their stock car? Most towns have dealerships nearby for that crap. I swear, I hate those guys.

If you guys are allowed to enter your turbo Buicks in the shows as a general rule back there, consider yourselves lucky. Most shows and cruises in So Cal are limited to 71 or 72 or earlier. I was at a 3700 car show yesterday, with probably about 3400 cars actually showing and they do no discriminate against anything. There were PT cruisers, vettes. porsches, Mini Coopers, but not a lot of other imports other than the ones noted. It was a charity show for prostate cancer.

86gngirl said:
We have imports show up at our car shows! Even tricked out blazers with 50 TV's and a sound system to deafen the crowds in the surounding counties. I hate it too. :mad:
I am not bashing you 86GNGIRL, its a common mindset here, so while I have a minute, food for thought.....
I agree the loud stereo is a bad idea btw...but c'mon...do you boycott taco Bell, its import food? BP is imported gas, you run that in a BUICK?! Your Levis arent made in the USA anymore!! I am being a lil silly to make a point.
I am that "import show" guy. I/we have won Best of Show Honda at Nopi Nationals 2 years in a row (as of 2 weeks ago... that over 5,000 hondas alone each time), Does that mean the car isnt show worthy at a Rod run, or cruise in? Most promoters DIS agree w/ the intollerant idea, especially after they see it. A $100,000+ car has nothing you can find pleasurable in viewing, or respect the craftsmanship on....because the valve cover has an "H" on it? I am here now doin cars you all respect w/ the GNs, so most ppl dont know who I am/was in "that" scene for the last 15+ years. I see alot of fellow GN owners FLIP when we bring out an "import" (Like Ford Taurus' and numerous "domestics" that arent made in the USA anymore) Ironically, show up in an Accord, ppl freak out about the import, thats built in Ohio.
Tollerance and education is what its all about. I know as much about the GNs as most anyone, been steady learnin about them since I rode in one in 1988 as a high school sophmore, but why cant I know more...something about all cars?!
I do agree, stock new cars dont deserve taking awards at shows. I also understand I am not generally welcome at "Classic Car Shows" w/ our civic, I agree, its the vehicle age, not make in that case.....even though I know some ppl hate it either way.
ANY car guy worth his weight in race fuel should learn to respect all cars....you can learn alot from others. I have had countless people tell me my cars are the first "imports" they've ever liked. When the World of Wheels head guy tracked me down 2 weeks ago askin me to bring our civic to Cobo for Detroit Autorama, He earned my respect, because I earned his FIRST! He's a car guy, plain and simple, just like me.
But dont distress, if I'm out in the GN and a civic rolls up, I'll bust its a$$ , thats what a GN is for.

I actually like when I see all kinds of cars ie; new, old, modified, stock, work in progress. Some stuff is worth a laugh, some worth some praise and some you just ask yourself why. Gets boring at a show that's only certain cars (EXCEPT TBs :biggrin: ). Too many bellybuttons.

I think it's cool that people take pride in whatever they have and it is enjoyable to attend a show no matter what you drive! On the other hand, my only problem with this is that around here the class are 80's to present original/restored. I lost a car show to a brand new v6 Mustang Convertable. The thing is, they need to get a class that is 95 to present or something like that. My car had won 28 first place trophies and 4 best of shows. It was a VERY NICE car that I put a TON of effort into making it absolutely nuts and bolt bueatiful. BUT, to contradict myself, it's not about winning trophies I guess. It's just nice to be rewarded for all of the hard work. The new cars just need to be spit shined, no work, research, or time needed.

I agree its not all about the trophies, I have plenty. However, I hate a turd coming in and beating me also. Car shows do typically have a political element thats hard to get past at times, and I've lost thousands of dollars due to politics w/ payouts at large shows, and you never get used to that. In the end you better do it for the love of the build, which to me is more fun than having a complete car at times.

GregInAtl said:
I am not bashing you 86GNGIRL, its a common mindset here, so while I have a minute, food for thought.....
I agree the loud stereo is a bad idea btw...but c'mon...do you boycott taco Bell, its import food? BP is imported gas, you run that in a BUICK?! Your Levis arent made in the USA anymore!! I am being a lil silly to make a point.
I am that "import show" guy. I/we have won Best of Show Honda at Nopi Nationals 2 years in a row (as of 2 weeks ago... that over 5,000 hondas alone each time), Does that mean the car isnt show worthy at a Rod run, or cruise in? Most promoters DIS agree w/ the intollerant idea, especially after they see it. A $100,000+ car has nothing you can find pleasurable in viewing, or respect the craftsmanship on....because the valve cover has an "H" on it? I am here now doin cars you all respect w/ the GNs, so most ppl dont know who I am/was in "that" scene for the last 15+ years. I see alot of fellow GN owners FLIP when we bring out an "import" (Like Ford Taurus' and numerous "domestics" that arent made in the USA anymore) Ironically, show up in an Accord, ppl freak out about the import, thats built in Ohio.
Tollerance and education is what its all about. I know as much about the GNs as most anyone, been steady learnin about them since I rode in one in 1988 as a high school sophmore, but why cant I know more...something about all cars?!
I do agree, stock new cars dont deserve taking awards at shows. I also understand I am not generally welcome at "Classic Car Shows" w/ our civic, I agree, its the vehicle age, not make in that case.....even though I know some ppl hate it either way.
ANY car guy worth his weight in race fuel should learn to respect all cars....you can learn alot from others. I have had countless people tell me my cars are the first "imports" they've ever liked. When the World of Wheels head guy tracked me down 2 weeks ago askin me to bring our civic to Cobo for Detroit Autorama, He earned my respect, because I earned his FIRST! He's a car guy, plain and simple, just like me.
But dont distress, if I'm out in the GN and a civic rolls up, I'll bust its a$$ , thats what a GN is for.
I guess my problem is, when at a car cruise I love to see the old muscle cars. You know, the Ameriacan legends of the street. Imports have thier place, I agree with that. But when they have all the spaces filled with imports, brand new cars, new trucks,and TV mobiles and you see an old Mach 1 , Hemi Cuda,or even a Beladere drive away because there is no place to park, thats when I have a problem. Everyone thinks half of these cars are ghosts and legends and only hear about them. We have The World of Wheels every year and import shows, but nothing has been left for the legends, the ones that started it all. JMO.

86gngirl said:
I guess my problem is, when at a car cruise I love to see the old muscle cars. You know, the Ameriacan legends of the street. Imports have thier place, I agree with that. But when they have all the spaces filled with imports, brand new cars, new trucks,and TV mobiles and you see an old Mach 1 , Hemi Cuda,or even a Beladere drive away because there is no place to park, thats when I have a problem. Everyone thinks half of these cars are ghosts and legends and only hear about them. We have The World of Wheels every year and import shows, but nothing has been left for the legends, the ones that started it all. JMO.

My point of view exactly. Just like the thread starter pointed out. Since when did MONEY start dictacting what a car show is? We all have differing opinions of what we like. There are some of us who can remember when a TR was in the same league. Its a good thing the TR earned its place to be included back than because there we're quite a few narrowed minded people back than too! I just wish a lot of the people you see in the shows did'nt have that "me too!" mentality and just stick to the Friday night parking lot scene. I always like to see new and different things. I get tired seeing the same thing rehashed every time. Some guys you see at every show. Give it a break. Anybody can pick up a catalog and waste a CC keeping up with the next clown. It takes real talent to stand out in crowd and if you dont have it than I could care less how much money you wasted. I'll make a bee-line to the restored muscle car over your imported "game boy" import every time.

turbofish38 said:
Since when did MONEY start dictacting what a car show is? I'll make a bee-line to the restored muscle car over your imported "game boy" import every time.

Thats easy, When a Hemi Road Runner got to $500,000, A GNX made $100,000, and used imports were fetching $30,000+ ,and when Barrett Jackson made the $100,000 used car common place. Remember rare cars are what car shows are all about. You want normal, cruise a mall lot, or the local theater on Fri eve. Rare = cash generally. Whether its bought or built, its cash. Sometimes what makes a car rare isnt how many were built, its what was done to make it different, or better. 10 bone stock GNs in a row are cool, by the 4th one you are lookin for what is after them.... Money DOESNT dictate what a car show IS. It dictates generally what it takes to consistently WIN. Big difference. All you need to have a show car is an entry fee in hand, a show winner is WAY different....a consistent Best of Show winner...dont ask.

**I realize the bad rep of imports is generally earned**. Farty exhaust, racing 2.0L auto trannied Accord LXs of thier moms on public hwys and never actually speeding they are so weak. 200 of them at Fri test and tune all runnin 16s, Decals and spray bombed everything, spoilers so big they could only track satellites, and nitrous aka NAWZ!! I get it, really I do. That doesnt mean everyone is this same outline. If I pulled in your local show, before we were fully set up, 50% of you would be lookin the car over, and generally flipping out over some feature. It happens almost every weekend....and when we are called for awards, most people applaud, even those who hate the idea of an import winning....because you cant stare quality in the face and discount it.

I mean no disrespect w/ my views, yet I generally recieve alot, and I dont have a "game boy" at 34, I am 20 yrs past that day of my life. I do realize flying the flag of tollerance to all cars makes me a target. Let the cars talk. With a multi time 95+/100 earning show car, and holding 2 earned "great 8" jackets from Charlottes annual AutoFair ,( And personal thank you notes from Humpy Wheeler) , I feel I have earned the right to feel like my work is speaking plenty. Now I am chosing to begin the GN build, w/ my past as a voice of what the future will bring, it will speak loudly as well.

Excuse Me!

441120 said:
I don't understand something.
Two guys at work have new Mustangs. One is a v6 convertible, the other a GT hardtop. This summer they attended numerous car shows... as contestants :confused: This is where I start to have problems :frown:
If I go to my local Ford dealer, he has some new Mustangs on the lot. The mall has some Mustangs. I was at a traffic light and I was behind a new Mustang. If I had a new Mustang I could be part of the herd! I think they made 100,000+ of the new Mustangs already, everyone loves them. Why are they in a car show with classic and collectable cars? When I go to a car show I want to see something cool,rare or unusual. New Mustang...cool car but yawn :eek: Hey everybody look at my Prius :rolleyes:

I was talking about people buying new cars, sticking a second muffler/tail pipe on a six cylinder and going to a car show. No disrespect was intended for any import, a car is a car. Prius was mentioned NOT because of it's status as an import, but because their owners usually have an extra chromosome and are F#cked in the head :rolleyes:
When I go to a show, not the top dollar manufactures shows, but local car shows, I want to see a car that survived time. Cars that someone modified in their garage, cars that were almost gone brought back to life, and yes a low rider with hydraulics or an import with 2.2m watt stereo and 41 speakers.
NOT a NEW car you waxed and drove:eek: to the show.
NEW CARS ARE AT THE DEALER!
LEAVE YOUR NEW CAR AT HOME!
Buy a new Mustang and turn it into a modern version of a Shelby, come on man do something.
Buy a new Mustang store it twenty years, then show us!
Don't buy a new Mustang then show it! I don't want to look at the car that looks just like the car that blew the stop sign this morning, cut me out on the way to the show, took my spot in the lot! :mad:

All this is meant in fun, I bust their bells every day ;)
I play one against the other, like a cat playing with mice.
Or a Buick dusting some Fords :biggrin:

Dont worry. They'll eventually get bored and do one of two things. 1-stop showing up or 2-buy a bigger exhaust tip and keep showing up. Down here in FL you can almost literally go to some car event or show every day of the year. http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/ . Just a couple of weeks ago the local TR guys went to the monthly show in New Symrna Beach. I dont recall hearing one negative comment about our cars. I did notice that the crowd was very biased as I'm sure all of you have noticed. A person that was into street rods tended to linger around them longer and wouldn't even give a door car a second glance. There are always imports at these shows all though the type of car you would see at a NOPI event wouldn't be caught dead at these events. I wonder why? The late model cars didn't get much attention from the crowds. It was the old stuff that people liked. Vintage VW's and the ocassional British sports car. There was even a new Shelby 500 there and I didn't see a whole lot of people looking at it either. I can remember being a dick many years ago. There was this guy that took a blue 84 T-Type and painted it black and put the chrome GN wheels and all the name plates on it. It looked like a GN with a blue interior. Any way one time I made an off the wall coment about it while the wife of its owner over heard me. Guess what? That car more or less disappeared off the face of the earth. It reappeared with a different owner many years later. I guess the moral of the story is if you ignore them, eventually they will go away. My wife made a comment about the local shows and our little band of TR owners once. "Hows come no young guys come to the show?" Tough time explaining my response in one paragraph or less. I'm still waiting to see those million dollar auction cars show up for any event. IMO those guys are in it for the money and not the love of cars. Like I said, since when did money start dictating what a car show is?

I had a stock 97 intrepid ES a few years back that I sold to a friend to help finance my GN. It was a nice looking car, black/silver, spoiler, sunroof, etc. but nothing special. I was walking along at our local show the next year and there it was entered in the show. I about died of embarrassment because it is a small town and half the people there probably thought I still owned it. I agree with the moral of the first post, new, stock vehicles should stay home.

In 05 my GN got beat at the same local show by a sunfire with a huge stereo and scissor doors. A couple people made comments wondering what I thought of it, I said hell they put more time and money into that thing than I put into mine, they can have the plaque. I just go to hear about how I have a nice monte carlo.

INEEDAGN said:
. I just go to hear about how I have a nice monte carlo.

I just go to find street races. Aside from one straight up dragster, I had the fastest car there and was kind of suprised that no racing was even discussed. If I knew the town better I bet I could have found some action somewhere.