I have a question regarding the stock turbo on a smaller displacement engine

MCH86GN

Okay, I know I'm not supposed to be asking questions about non-Buick powered vehicles, but I was hoping someone here could answer this question. I'm looking to do a "buget build" turbo and IC on my 2.2L s10 and I have read about some of the turbos that are used today, one being a Garrett T30. This turbocharger is way too expensive, so I was thinking of using a stock turbo. Since I will be leaving the 2.2L block stock, I would only run between 6-8PSI boost with an intercooler. I'm not looking for get up and go power, I'm looking for something that at highway speed will hopefully improve gas mileage and would not be under any boost. Then if I need some additional power I can tap into the throttle. Of course the exhaust hosuing is probably too large for a 135ci motor, but again I'm not worried about off the line performance. It is just when I'm driving and my truck has to down shift when the cruise control is set and I go up a tiny hill.

I have found kits turbo kits for the 2.2L at a whooping $3k. I'm also asking on the s10 Forum, its just turbocharging these trucks is not a very common thing and there are not a great deal of resources. This is something that I will be doing over the course of the next year or so. As my truck has over 150k miles on it and I want to make sure that the engine is mechanically sound before trying any type of forced induction.

I know I will need my ECM reprogrammed, I have found a place in Pennsylvania that will do it for me. I will need the usual upgrades to the exhaust system and maybe some bigger injectors. I also plan on running a cooler thermostat. Stock is 195F and I will be running a 180F.

I have also picked up some good literature on turbocharing and understanding compressor maps. I think I understand them, but no harm in reinforcing the knowledge.

Here are a couple I links that I have started reading.

http://www.s2central.net/turbology/Turbology_v4.pdf
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/212923-how-choose-right-turbo.html

I'm sure this book as been referenced before, but I was given this name of the book and I can buy it off Amazon - turbo boost by corky bell.

Thanks for any information, I know this doesn't belong on this forum and it will only be one time thing - if this thread gets deleted I understand. If I had the cash I would drop a turbo v6 in my s10 and who knows at the end of the day it might be about the same price - I highly doubt it.

I've run a stock GN turbo on an 90 Nissan Maxima with the 3.0V6 in it. I ran 10psi hot air and didnt have any problems. You should be able to get away with 6-8PSI just fine through an intercooler. My .02 cents :) -Ben

It will be lazy on a small engine like that. There are plenty of smaller factory turbos out there that will work much better. The Chrysler K cars had turbos on small displacement engines and you can find them cheap.

It will be lazy on a small engine like that. There are plenty of smaller factory turbos out there that will work much better. The Chrysler K cars had turbos on small displacement engines and you can find them cheap.
Bison thanks for your input. I think I will start looking at the smaller turbos. For what I want and just getting an understanding of the compressor map, makes me thing that unless I want to step up to more power, which means more mods and more money, I don't need a very big turbo at all and Real Estate becomes issue as well, not a lot of room under the hood. My only concern was being under boost at highway speed, but by doing the computation I would have to have a fairly small turbo to do that. I did the analytical analysis based on a Garrett GT30R compressor map. I know the compressor map is not the end all be all, but it does point you in the better direction. I'm trying to do a "budget build" and I don't want to start off with a $1200 turbo and our turbos are fairly cheap and can be readily rebuilt. However, you make a great point about the K-series vehicles and the cost of the turbos. I have looked at some on craigslist and they were relatively inexpensive.

I will this say this one more time, taking time to understand a compressor map goes a long way in helping you chose the right turbo. In the link I posted, I think it is posted here in the sticky section as well, where is spells out all the terminology and how to do the computation would save a lot of the same question - "will this turbo work on my car?"

Thanks,
Charles

I think I have found a turbo, a 2000 Saab 93 turbo, which is a Garrett low pressure turbo. I think this turbo could be readily rebuilt, if need be. There is a Misubitsha version for the Saab 93 turbo, but it is considered a high pressure high. Again this will be a year or so project, and by then hopefully my truck is still running. I also have to make sure that I can fabricate an exhaust manifold or try and buy a ready made that will fit the T3/T4 style turbo. I'm trying to make a fun project out it. Better than paying $20k+ for a 1.6 turbo Hyundai and end up monkeying around with it until I blow it up. Not that my truck is throw away, but it has given 150k+ miles of trouble free driving.

Anyway, I think I will leave the thread at this.