I hate these cars, especially their radiators

Re: Re: As a general rule....

Originally posted by milehighGN

I know the 1/8" fitting needs a 90 degree flare to a 5/16" fitting. I just can't find a decent shop that has it. [/B]

I had some luck getting wierd fittings for my brakes from On Track Performance in Denver. If you know exactly what you need, you can try calling them.

I have pictures to show of my situation if I can list them......i don't know how to on here. Thanks!

From what i can tell, the tranny line BACK to the transmission is a 1/2 FEMALE fitting.......i was able to screw in a 5/16 inverted flare...but COULD NOT find any lines with a 1/2 female fitting. I have a picture to show.

The 5/16" inverted flares have 1/2" - 20 straight threads.

What are you trying to couple?

Send me the pic. if you want to I can host it and post a link. :)

Not trying to butt in but nobody ever answered the question. How much time and money is involved in putting an F-body radiator in a GN? Mine has alot of miles on it and warm weather is right around the corner.:D

I just put an F-body radiator in my 85.....it was pretty damn easy, fit right in the upper radiator support, I just had to bend the transmission cooler lines a little. You wont have an oil cooler like the 86-87 radiators tho.

I took my radiator to a local shop to have a leak fixed. They looked at me and ask if it was out of a 84 Olds. I told them no and he walked in the back and grabbed a new one. Identical radiator so I purchased it. $90.00 Direct bolt in including all the oil and tranny lines. Now, whether or not it was indeed out of a 84 OLDs I don't know but it worked.

I have since looked for 84 OLDS radiators and could not come up with a matching part number in the books. Maybe I got lucky.

Got the pics. can't host them all tonight but it appears you are missing a few parts. :confused:

IF you have a service manual or CD Rom version check out page 7A2-13 which shows the tranny cooler lines and a blown up pic. of the short metal lines and adpaters that are used into the FRONT of the radiator.

Sent you an email also.

I will try to get more detailed pics. soon, unless someone else has a spare stocker with the adapters, short hard lines, protective pad, and couplers to next to the battery area.

That would be helpful, I've got my spare radiator I bought that came with those lines just have to borrow a camera.

Those "Lines" are what I need. The lines coming from the tranny are 5'16" male.......i bought the 5'16" inverted union..........which will allow me to use 5/16" line to go to the tranny cooler inputs on the radiator. However, the INPUT on the TRANNY appear to be 1/8"....and i can't find ANYTHING that will take 5/16" male.........to a 5/16" female inverted to 1/8":confused: :confused: :confused:

NAPA 402x5 is the right angle adapter that goes into the back side of the radiator and will allow a double bent hard 5/16" line to go out front to the inverted flare adapter to couple to the stock tranny lines. You need 2 of course to make it like the factory had it.

If you can bend the readily available 5/16" hard line yourself you can make that work.

Otherwise contact Brian Weavy of G Body Parts online or by phone and he should be able to get you the stock pre-bent lines and adapters off a junk car.

Radiators are usually sold without them so they should be available separately.

Good luck.

Page 52 and from 49-mid 50's of the link I posted above has the fittings for inverted flare pipe.

NAPA uses those numbers on their bins around here anyway, not sure if their computers can look them up under that, but they can price them off those numbers anyway so I'm sure they can tell stock and order off those numbers somehow.

It sounds like all you need are tapered pipe fittings, which you can get at any home depot or mcmaster.com. Familiarize yourself with NPT threads and youll be able to figure out what you need in no time.

Thanks for all of your help!

I finally went to a brand new autozone...which had the fittings.

Of the 9 stores in denver, this was the ONLY ONE with all of the fittings. Most parts were in different places at others, etc, etc.