I hate Buick front covers

It's easier for me at least to buy that plate than to find some one to resurface that. Mainly though, you know it won't gouge out the surface again because it is steel.

And I exchanged the one with the broken bolts. Miraculously the new bolts in the new kit are different. Wow.

I should be getting my brakes, coil overs, and shocks today. So hopefully it will be rolling soon and I'll be able to drop the motor in and DRIVE it!

Can I get one of those from you, please? Mine's been leaking for years and it's driving me nutz. PM me with details.

What else do I need to do other than replace the cover? Mine has a plate in it now that I assume I get rid of?

Thanks!

Jim

PM Coming

Finally had a chance to install the cover KWIKR 1 sent me and now the cam sensor slides right in as it should now! It's ridiculous some aftermarket covers can be so bad.

I haven't had time to mess with mine yet but I got lots of great advice from Just A Six??. Glad you got yours fixed. I'll get to it one of these days.....

Jim

So I took mine all apart yesterday and put new gaskets in it. It now leaks worse than it did before. Here's the arrangement I have:

pump_and_plate.jpg

It was in the car when I got it but didn't leak until after the first engine rebuild (I think in another post I said it always leaked, but I don't think that's the case). I'm thinking that I might have wound up with a different front cover after that rebuild.

Before I go through the trouble of replacing the cover, does anyone make new oil pumps? Or those plates? You can see the gears have dug into both my pump and plate. How about if I ditch the plate and get a new pump? Where could I get the correct length bolts?

TIA,
Jim

The oil pump and plates are readily available.

Plates:

Sealed Power 224-518TP $15.49 NAPA
Melling P-20I $12.99 Advance Auto
Clevite 601-8030 $25.99 Advance

Same stores will have the pump gears.

New oil filter adapters are available from Pioneer and Silver-Seal.

The oil pump and plates are readily available.

Plates:

Sealed Power 224-518TP $15.49 NAPA
Melling P-20I $12.99 Advance Auto
Clevite 601-8030 $25.99 Advance

Same stores will have the pump gears.

New oil filter adapters are available from Pioneer and Silver-Seal.

Thanks. I got a timing cover, oil filter adapter, plate and shim kit from TA Performance. Do I need a gear set, too?

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks. I got a timing cover, oil filter adapter, plate and shim kit from TA Performance. Do I need a gear set, too?

Thanks,
Jim

Hello Jim,

I am going to be making a new supply of the Kenne Bell booster plates. I have ordered 304 stainless steel to make them out of. I am test cutting the first one next week and sending to Lee Thompson to make sure it is what he wants. He sent me an aluminum plate and they wear pretty good. Mine will not wear nearly as bad. Just wanted to pass that along. The Kenne Bell plates were quite popular from what I hear and are no longer available. If you are interested it will be a few weeks yet, but they are coming.

Thanks,
Coach

Please PM me if you are interested.

304 Stainless is completely non-magnetic. 400 series stainless is still slightly magnetic. It would hold magnatism at dry start-ups and the steel to steel contact would grind small steel dust that would mag to it and make a sort of polishing compound under the gears. That is what I am trying to avoid. The reason the aluminum plates wear is at start-up they are dry and it is steel to a much softer material. These should not wear for years and years. I can check into lubri-coating them, but the price will almost double. That is why I chose stainless over regular tool steel. Not saying that the Kenne Bell were not properly made, but I would guess that for the cost, they would not care if they wore out and you had to replace them. I am not in this to go into production, I am going to make 20-25 of them and pass along a product that you guys should be able to use in several engines if you need to.

Thanks
Coach