i got a GN model.....any model builders here?

MY85pontiac

im too old for this crap!
this past weekend i went and looked at models. this is the first time i looked at models since i was a teenager and to be honest i wasnt very impressed by what they offer now. revell ACTUALLY has a "3 in 1" model of a 81 citation. they had other equally unimpressive models but i found a GN. a 1:24 scale 87 GN that i simply had to have. i like all things g-body related so i couldnt pass this up. i get it home and look inside. i was accustomed to model from years gone past and i wasnt impressed with certain details they had but this model has met and exceeded by expectations of a model. first off it is a "intermediate" difficulty model, that to me meant it wasnt going to be all that great, nice but not great like an "expert" level model. but i looked at the details and they are really nice. the model has 96 pieces but those pieces are more detailed than i expected them to be, the engine compartment chassis and interior being three of the main parts that impressed me the most. the body is nice but needed trimming and working as did other pieces, that was to be expected though. as a kid i never had much patience to finish a model and i never paid that much attention to details when i assembled a model but this time around im going slow and taking my time with this. there is no time limit and there is no prize for hurrying up this model. in the first hour to hour and a half after opening the modeli spent all that time looking over every piece and trimming them with a pen knife. patiently look each one over for defects, cracks, warpage, breakage and finally excess plastic that needed to be trimmed off. i have the trimming done and i have most of the engine put together. so far this is turning out pretty well but im not thrilled about the windshield, it has something on it or something i cant seem to remove and im not sure i want to try and "polish" the imperfections out from fear of producing swirl marks that will annoy the living hell out of me later on. so i might have them send me a replacement windshield. other than that the model looks good, i test fitted the bigger pieces together and they fit nicely all that i need to do now is paint all the parts and start putting it all together but im kinda stuck on the painting issue.

ive seen these air brush kits and they interest me. i remember leaving brush marks on everything i painted when i built model before and i remember totalling ruining a mercedes that way and later a porsche 944. i REALLY dont want to use brushes on things like the interior and body. i have a spray bomb of gloss black for the body of the car but im wondering if maybe using an air brush instead would allow me to use thinner coats of paint thus letting the details still "shine through" so it looks more realistic. the spray can is from testors and i tested it and it looks like it sprays ok but doesnt seem to produce a "fine mist" as i was expecting. the air brush kits arent that much but im hoping if any model builders here that use them can give me some insight on them to help me decide whether to spray bomb this car or use an air brush. at the least i want to use an air brush because i wont find a spray can for every color i need. and on door panels and the entire enterior i want to usean airbrush because i dont want to see brush marks on the dash or the seats.

on another note revell also has a 87 monte aerocoupe i might pick up. it looks pretty good and is in my favorite color, grey.

The air brush kits are very nice,you will want to practice first. I found that the paint markers work real well for interior. If you check in the school supplies section of big store (kmart, walmart) they have a fine tip paint marker in silver and gold, they are perfect for small detail like emblems, just have a steady hand.

well i need to paint the entire interior, not just a tiny details in it. its all in black and i need to paint it all in gray so i dont think a marker is going to work for that.

You definitely want to air brush the exterior. The airbrushs that Testors sell are ok. They are more for beginner/intermediate model builders. Badger makes a real nice airbrush called the Sotar 20/20. It's a double action brush which allows to control both paint and air flow through the airbrush. It retails for about $200-250 but search around on the net and it can found for about $125-150. I wouldn't recommend using the cans of compressed air. The pressure doesn't remain consistant and it gets costly after airbrushing a couple of models ($6-10 a can). I would suggest getting an airbrush air compressor. Walmart has some air compressors that you can use for airbrushing and are reasonally priced.

All this depends on your skill level and how much you want to spend on supplies.

I personally have a Badger air compressor, Sotar 20/20 and Iwata airbrushes. I'm more into figure models and haven't done a car model in a while

Also, Testors makes awesome metal color paints called "Metalizer". Airbrush it on and buff the paint to the desired shine and seal. Great for use on engine parts, axles etc.... Comes in all different colors.

I'll have to post pictures for my GN model once I'm finished. It's awesome! Keep in mind you'll have to paint many of the chrome parts to make it look correct. A little paint thinner will take care of brush marks on most small parts. Also, use a tooth pick with a small dab of paint on the end to paint small details on the dash and elsewhere.

James

for my level of experience i'll probably go with a testors air brush. they're fairly cheap to begin with and since i probably wont build that many models i couldnt justify buying a more expensive air brush for the time being anyway.

as for painting some of the chrome parts...i decided not to. i figure no GN could resist putting on some chrome and while im not fan of chrome i left most of the chrome pieces intact. i MIGHT paint the intake aluminum since im not completely done with the engine i can still do that. a chromed intake looks rather rediculous in my opinion but the valve covers are staying chrome.
and they had a chrome alternator. what do they think GN owners are? gaudy? i did like how they made the ac compressor a two piece deal. the front being part of the serpentine belt system and you have to glue the back of it onto it. i also feel that was a little silly, they could have made it one piece but its no big deal.

one thing im not understanding is their instructions saying to paint the steering and suspension for the front in gloss black. how many gloss black steering and suspension parts do you see from the factory? matte black perhaps. the same goes for the rearend, glass black. but they say to paint the chassis (frame/ floor pans) flat black. that i can see making some sense. in other parts they tell you to paint something a certain color and i guess they left out what that color should be. this is confusing me and im ready to stop paying attention to what colors to use and just use my best judgement after all they make models, they dont make cars. and they obviously make crappy instructions.

I would still recommend the paint markers you can eveen paint the bolts on the chassis a different color. The fine tip ones are in the ink pen section of the stores and the bigger ones are by the models. they work well enough that i took 2nd place in a model contest(painted interior & chassis & motor with the large ones). Buy the flat black one and a gloss black one and give them a try.

Good for you on your undertaking. I've got a GNX, TTA, 86 MCSS and '59 Cadillac models in my closet waiting to be built. (Oh yeah, and a Titanic model that has running propellors). I just don't have the patience to build em.

I thought the suspension components WERE gloss black from the factory...just very prone to rusting and fading quickly.

if ya wanna let go of those models i'll be glad to take em off your hands. especially the TTA and MCSS.

on another note i picked up this liquid cement, its from testors but its not like the traditional glue, this is a slightly red liquid and doesnt leave "fume marks" like previous glues i have used. it works really well and the applicator for it is VERY tiny so you can be very precise with it. much better than the tube stuff i used before. i highly recommend this stuff.

You all need girlfriends. LOL. :D

Seriously, the Testors paint cans are okay for delivery of an exterior coat... you can wet sand the exterior just like a real car. ;)

I have a pair of GN models, 2 MCSS', 70 MCSS 454, and a '67 Z28... only the Z28 is built... and it took me over 3 years to do it. :eek:

Real cars are a more fun. :)

Originally posted by Mr. T
You all need girlfriends. LOL. :D

Real cars are a more fun. :)

Hell yeah they're more fun. I already HAVE a girlfriend...keeps me busy enough. And no, my models aren't for sale. Matter of a fact, I'm still lookin for a nice GN model. I saw your 3 n 1 Citation Lowrider at WalMart last night....LOL!!!

Quick hint.

I love to build models, But I'm really short on time these days. My latest project is a Monogram Morgan Shepherd #21 Cheerwine car. Unfortunately it's been on my desk for the last year and isn't done yet.
I have learned that you can get a much better finish from the spray cans by letting them sit in a pan of hot tap water for a while before you use them. Seems to thin the paint and raise the pressure some to give a much finer spray.