I feel like most are running too much timing!

gtfrede

Designated LSX Hater
When I first got this setup together I was lucky to get 10 pounds out of it before knock occurred with my stock TT chip settings (20-18°)...now I have pulled out most of the advance and got the boost up to 18 pounds and 11.0 afr and the thing runs wayyyyy better than 10 psi with the higher timing....why are most ppl running such high timing? I can't wait to get good gas back in it and set the boost in the mid to upper 20s with about 15-18 degrees advance and see where it is....

Just an observation

Have you put a timing light on and verified your timing? You may have more than you think if you run a BHJ balancer or have never checked your stocker. I agree with you to a point. The correct amount of timing is more important than the number of degrees indicated in the chip. Moral is, find what your car likes. Obviously, your car doesn't like a lot; doesn't make it better or worse than any other.

What is best procedure to verify the ignition timing with a standard pick up timing light? I do have one abd would like to verify...but I was under the impression that if it's out there isn't much I could do about it

What is best procedure to verify the ignition timing with a standard pick up timing light? I do have one abd would like to verify...but I was under the impression that if it's out there isn't much I could do about it
There's a sticky on verifying ignition timing. If it's off you can do the following: nothing and always be aware of the amount it's off and tune around it, remove the balancer and adjust the ring, or have an offset burned into your chip. A 20/18 chip shouldn't have any detonation on 93 octane at 16psi or less. Have a nice day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't a lot of easy things to do. What I'm saying is that a lot of statements are made as to what is being run for timing, but really it's what the chip settings are and not actually verified timing. That's why every car is different. My car "doesn't like a lot of timing" either, but it's a BHJ balancer, and I've verified that it adds a few degrees of its own. And not trying to say your points aren't valid. You've obviously made your car run better by tuning your car rather than just trying to run "as much as possible" timing which makes no sense; shoot for the "correct" amount of timing for your combo and fuel.

Verify with the sticky as Bison stated.

Thanks for the info fellas...I really appreciate it!

I just posted this cause feel like if most would try pulling a few more degrees out and adding a couple pounds of boost (given a proper setup of course that can support it) they might be pleasantly surprised with what they could get away with.... experimentation is rewarding

Bison I actually got the idea to make an attempt after reading some of your posts about overall increasing the mass flow through our setups to make the most power

"I FEEL LIKE MOST ARE RUNNING TOO MUCH TIMING!"

Like what Judge Judy says, "I don't care what you think"? :LOL:

Where you are with your tune on your GN may be fine, but most others will NOT perform good with timing that low?

Having dealt with hundreds of GN's the general range of timing is in the low 20's. But since all cars are different, each one should be tuned for what level performance is expected, as well as how the car will be used.

The distributor in my race car had an issue and timing went to 16-18 deg from 23 deg and I lost 100 HP?

We have tuned and tested some GN's on e-85 and find they do like less timing, again depending on the use and build. They usually also like more base fuel pressure the a "standard" 44 PSI?

When we first started tuning these cars 25+ years ago, fuel pressure and boost were the only variables we could easily change, and now we can adjust many other items.

An optimum tune is not only to obtain the owner's desired performance level, but it should also be determined with parameters that are safe and reliable which should be done for each specific car. :)

Well maybe something is off with my car because I also noticed at the track going from 20 to 23 degrees with good fuel only picked me up 1/2 a mph....

Im just wondering how anything could be off when the crank sensor is stationary and I'm using the original balancer?

Going from 20 to 23 is a pretty big jump. Did you try 21 and 22 to see where your car is? Tuning trial and error is like black magic and an exercise in frustration but to get you the best times and mph takes dedication.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just wanted to clarify....the low timing is with pump gas timing only....I run the 20+° with race gas....I just always thought 20° in a pump gas chip sounded high and that has been verified to be true at least on my car....

I'll take the 8 more psi out of my 6262 for the price of 6° of timing lol :)

The stock chip has 22*, 18 is not a lot listen to NIck and Bison, check the timing with a light

I sure will...planning to this weekend with the help of the sticky write up....had no idea the stock chip was 22 degrees....wow

A lot of people on here run rich as so they can add timing. I run an n/a 1989 3800 turbo convert 4 headbolts per cylinder stock $13 graphite gaskets and tune lean at 11.7 and less timing 21psi 14 degrees timing made 400Rwhp on 14psi 14 degrees timing and have just kept upping boost.

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk

I sure will...planning to this weekend with the help of the sticky write up....had no idea the stock chip was 22 degrees....wow
The stock boost is about 15psi and only 10psi in 4th. The timing is reflective of the cylinder pressure and engine load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk