I cant imagine why you guys arent ALL OVER THIS...

TType84

cookin with propane
mark just sent me these two photos of a little work he did on an accufab plenum.

what the ****, guys, this is what everyone told me so long ago would not fit no matter that. :mad: :mad: :mad:

why even bother witht he J&S and the turbomotion intakes when everyone could be doing this ALL ALONG..

all of that R&D was completely pointless IMO now that I realize whoever I asked so long ago was WRONG.

It actually makes me kind of angry that I did not do what I normally do and say "thats nice, but i'll try it anyway"

this would also allow you to clock the turbo forward like the other kits no problem as well.

Attachments

• Accufab_plenum,_modified_.jpg
    Accufab_plenum,_modified_.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 589
  • Accufab_plenum,turbo,_intake_mockup_1.jpg
    Accufab_plenum,turbo,_intake_mockup_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 585
And then....???
And then....???
And then....???
And then....???

:confused:

1. stock hotair intake blows, the IC intake flows much better
2. TM / J&S intakes were expensive
3. anyone that knows how to cut and weld aluminum could MAKE this for under $100

im not sure what is so difficult to understand here.

Let me be the first to say, Yes you are correct. I picked up a JSM intake for a reduced price [because it was a reduced price] that I have sitting in a box, just in case. I do like the look of that doghouse in your pic much better. Not just because its polished but because it still has the ridges on top and just plain looks smoother.
It would be relatively easy to pick up a 86/87 intake and do this. Only thing I can think of though with that particular doghouse you have pictured is any bigger turbo than that stocker and no go. Im thinking youll have to angle the doghouse more, and I guess lose the fins like JSM did.
Anyway, yeah your right.

6SENSE; Only thing I can think of though with that particular doghouse you have pictured is any bigger turbo than that stocker and no go. Im thinking youll have to angle the doghouse more said:
And disrupt the flow of the air distribution do to the excessive alteration of the dog house.

1. stock hotair intake blows, the IC intake flows much better.

As Lee Thompson has discribed to me ,and imho has proven, the restriction is not so much in the intake as is the turbo / throttle body design and passenger side header. A ported hot air intake flows equal to or better than a 86-87 intake. From my personal experience ported heads was by far the biggest bang for the buck I could ever have done. I don't care how much boost you cram into the intake all it does is juct sit there in a bottle neck. Ported heads opened the cork and the flow increase was incredible.

As Lee Thompson has discribed to me ,and imho has proven, the restriction is not so much in the intake as is the turbo / throttle body design and passenger side header. A ported hot air intake flows equal to or better than a 86-87 intake. From my personal experience ported heads was by far the biggest bang for the buck I could ever have done. I don't care how much boost you cram into the intake all it does is juct sit there in a bottle neck. Ported heads opened the cork and the flow increase was incredible.
i do agree, the pass header is terrible +/- 10.... some are worse than others, a friend of mine cleaned mine up a lot with a die grinder so atleast the pipes are close to smooth but it still blows balls.

the intake... i have never seen flow numbers but if you look at the design...

down, under, up, down... its approx 2ft from the turbo inlet to the ports on the heads. all of that time the charge is in contact with the alum in the intake heating up to 160-180 degrees, or whatever the intake's temp is.

and to the guy talking about airflow disruption..

IF someone actually made a piece like this for us, RJC racing could make a power plate for it no sweat.. might have to be a little thinner, but still, it would work just fine..

as cheap as this can be done i'm sure a vendor would step up to the plate if people were interested.

im going to make my own but i know others dont have the ability or the desire to..

1.JS MFG. flowed a stock 86 intake, a TurboMotion intake,
and one of their intakes. The JS intake flowed just a little
more than the stock 86 and the TurboMotion was just
a shade less than the stock 86 intake.
2. There is very little difference in the ID of the modified
Accufab plenum due to the thickness of the Accufab at the
back. There is not "excessive" distortion of the flow
path, IMHO. Flow #'s of the intake with both plenums
would answer the question definitively, how ever.
3. The clearance for the Accufab plenum mod
was set using an stock 87 turbo, the
picture posted is a stock 85, though.
HTH to clear up some questions.

Here is a pic of the intake I have sitting aside right now. Are you saying the way this doghouse is modded that you think there will be a dissruption of airflow? My car is basically under construction till next year and I want to get it just right. As I have stated in other threads I am not crazy about any of the turbos that I can use with my existing V1 and stock configuration but I really do like the gt6152 which means probably using the style of intake discussed in this thread.

Attachments

• MVC-847F.jpg
    MVC-847F.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 502
What I am saying is if you look at the intercooled cars they have a variety of ported throttle bodies and ported plenums. Why? Because the stock ones are restrictive and there is a known flow restriction to 2 cylinders on the stock 86-87 intake thats why the power plate was designed. Now your going to take this modified dog house and a cut half of it off to accomodate a larger turbo. I can't tell you that it won't flow better than a stock 84-85 intake but I can tell you it there will be a flow disruption from that style of dog house. How do I know? Because it already exists in the stock 86-87 design. At any rate moving the throttle body to the positive side of the turbo should give you better throttle response and make you "feel" like your making more power even if your not.

At any rate moving the throttle body to the positive side of the turbo should give you better throttle response and make you "feel" like your making more power even if your not.

throttle response has never been an issue with my car, it'll spin the tires from a stop just by tapping the gas.

the other benefits with this change would be the ease of intercooling the car, less heat transferred to the intake charge, and the ability to now use bigger throttle bodies without having to have someone on the board modify your factory piece of find a core to send them.

I have sat back for 5 years now, unable to afford any kit that would greatly increase my airflow. Here is what I have seen:

V2 kits, js kits, spearco kits and so on. What have I heard? not one of these cars breaking into the 11's. i KNOW for a fact that $$$ is almost always an issue with everyone...especially when it comes to cars. If someone has broken the 12.00 barrier with a kit bought off of these boards, they should come forward....

What have I seen instead....hundreds of cars taking a stock intake and head combo, porting them, and boom...12's...and turbo6x2 going to the smaller side of the elevens, and lee t running 10s with hot air and tons of alky...but was it all alky pushing that 10.8 (is that correct?)? no way...it was a worked block, tons of porting and experimenting with different turbo/porting/alky combos, and yielding the fastest hot air on all of the boards...with out an IC and without any kit or doghouse. I am a stout critic of those who intercool for the quick bang for the buck. I had an IC car, it was fast and fun, but it went out with my roller hot air to pay for a house. Now my twin and I are building a 84 t-type in his garage, and it will look entirely stock when we are done. aside from the poston headers adn atr exhaust...the top end will look nearly stock. but underneath, two nozzels of alky...fully ported intake and heads matched...204 cam, ported TB, possibly a TA 60 turbo stock mounted and adapted, and a bunch of other upgrades, but totally stock appearing!!! the turbo will be bigger yes, but i will be clocked the same as the original, located in the exact same place, and forcing the "hot" air through the massive ports in my intake. no dog house argument....no IC to bend piping to...nothing to modify on the top end except the turbo clocking and an adapter for the TB.....

In a year, maybe less, i will post the results...his car, totally stock from 1984 to 2004, ran a best of 15.18 in 2004 before a terminal rod-knock started.... that was at 15 psi, a tank of 94 from sunoco and an octane booster off a shelf at a local parts store....only mod was the adjustable wastegate.... mods for the car this year: 50lb injectors, carter chip, 2 stage alky, TA60, adj wastegate and accufab fpr, bored out TB, ported intake, ported heads, 204 cam/timing set, .030 block with forged guts, kenne bell oil pump kit, blocked EGR, poston headers and x over, atr up and down pipes, test pipe, dynomax catback, 3200 stall converter, walbro 340, alum f-bod rad and 87 fan, trans cooler, oil cooler, and the biggest mod to date....fuzzy dice that match the exterior!!!! so...what do you think? worth all the work over a doghouse and IC?? time and $$$ will tell!!!

John

My reason, as already stated, for contemplating other intake ideas is to be able to use an off the shelf more efficient, more capable turbo. I might stay with the intake I have now or might use the one in the pic or ? Just playing around with options and open to suggestions. Ease of adding an IC is not part of my decision making process. Although I know that the intake config with the TB relocated does present that possibility [much easier] if I decide to go that route in the future.
My fuel for thought is going faster, without "selling out" and swapping in a 86/87 motor. Not purely because I am stubborn but because I still want to be different. As I have made a name for myself with my hotair car, I still want to be different from the other TRs around here. Even if I have a modded intake, even if it has an IC added to it, it will still be different than a straight 86/87 setup. I am slowly weighing the pros and cons of my options. I would love to stay with the stock hotair configuration if possible.
As far as the cars with the various aftermarket setups and only running 12's? Well I would bet that most of them simply add the setups and thats that. There is alot more to it than slapping on parts and I think all who have chimed in on this thread know that. Nothing is instantaneous. Its all about combo and tuning. If I can get my car with the current setup to run what it has run without tires or race gas I know tuning in one of the kits mentioned, especially with a IC, should easily go 11's or Im an idiot (at least thats the way I would feel). Give me another ta33 and slicks and I might be able to get there with the measely parts I have now. Cars with the "almighty" 86/87 setup dont automaticaly run 11's, or even 12's, or even 13's for that matter. Point is, I too look at some of these cars that I feel have gone further than me with adding an IC or different intake config etc. but there is more to it than that. I dont think its that hard to go 12's with the stock hotair configuration. If I decide to go with a different intake its for a reason and believe me 11's are an afterthought. If an IC is in the mix then I guess you should consider it over (right?). Like I have mentioned before a 10.99 slip is one of the goals Ive set. Deep 11's all day long on alky and 93 is what I think about most of the time ;) Still running hotair would definately be more gratifying :) (You guys saw the hotair piping for the JSM intake in the pic right?)

What I am saying is if you look at the intercooled cars they have a variety of ported throttle bodies and ported plenums. Why? Because the stock ones are restrictive and there is a known flow restriction to 2 cylinders on the stock 86-87 intake thats why the power plate was designed. Now your going to take this modified dog house and a cut half of it off to accomodate a larger turbo. I can't tell you that it won't flow better than a stock 84-85 intake but I can tell you it there will be a flow disruption from that style of dog house. How do I know? Because it already exists in the stock 86-87 design. At any rate moving the throttle body to the positive side of the turbo should give you better throttle response and make you "feel" like your making more power even if your not.

Agreed. I would think chopping off part of that plenum would make the air distribution problem worse. Other than wanting to run something bigger than a TA-66, I see absolutely no reason to ever go with something other than a worked hotair intake whether intercooled or hotair.

Wish there were more out there with the setup that could chime in with actual #s and tell what issues they have with cylinders leaning out etc. I see your guys point exactly and have know want to be a guinea pig here and experience myself (although thats all Ive been doing to this point anyway). Guess I will have to just buy the turbo and mock it up on the v1, I know it should fit. Oh yeah... other problem was that it is TE style not TA, thats why I was thinking of moving away from TB bolted to the turbo.

"Out of the box"

There is a minute amount of room between the turbo and firewall (Trust me I know :biggrin: ), but anyone ever make an "offset turbo to intake adapter?

There may be more work involved in other than intake mod (Up pipe, DP mods, trans dipstick tube, etc), but, it may provide sufficient clearance to fit the larger housing.

Just thinking "out of the box"

There is a minute amount of room between the turbo and firewall (Trust me I know :biggrin: ), but anyone ever make an "offset turbo to intake adapter?

There may be more work involved in other than intake mod (Up pipe, DP mods, trans dipstick tube, etc), but, it may provide sufficient clearance to fit the larger housing.

Just thinking "out of the box"
Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box:) I think the Turbo Rivs have a different adaptor somewhat like you are describing. Dont remember exactly how it bends, maybe we can get a pic from one of the Riv guys.

Picture of Riviera Turbo

Heres a pic of the Riv. It uses a cast elbow because the turbo is mounted on the back of the motor instead of on top like the Regal. The compressor outlet points straight up.

Attachments

• Riviera Turbo.jpg
    Riviera Turbo.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 385
drew carlton had an experiemental v2 or v3 intake and ran easy 11.80s with it.